overall

RATINGS: 3070   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 51   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
This is the famous Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, our award-winning rendition of the Imperial Stout style once made exclusively for Catherine the Great. We use three mashes to brew each batch of this beer, achieving a luscious deep dark chocolate flavor through a blend of specialty roasted malts. We brew it every year for the winter season. It is delicious when newly bottled, but also ages beautifully for years.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ross (2080) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - APR 1, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 31, 2006 2003/2004 vintage. damn this beer has a strong smell. when i opened the bottle i went around and cut my lights off so i could relax and rate this before i went to sleep- and when i got back to my desk i could smell this beer before i got to my desk. good good smell. strong smell of coffee and slight chocolate. pours out like motor oil and looks roughly as thick. wow the taste. hot damn this is good. chocolate and coffee flavor with a slight taste of alcohol- not overpowering (similar to old rasp)- awesome flavor. this is a great stout, and i think it should be rated a little higher than it is- but thats my opinion. this is good.

updated - 10 / 31 / 06 - 05 bottle same feeling on the rating, bottle is more than a year old right now. smooth and rich chocolate flavor. very complex and intreguing on the palate. as it warms its almost like eating a chocolate bar. very nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DocLock (7832) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 30, 2004
12 oz. bottle, winter 2002/2003 vintage. I'm drinking this now. The pour is as ebony as I've ever seen. I can discern no light through it. Medium head. Strong aroma of molasses, coffee, blackberries, and port wine. One of the strongest aromas I've ever experienced, with a dark brown head (may be the brownest head I've ever seen, too). First sip is heavy, malty, hoppy, tart, and smooth. Definite molasses, maple syrup, black coffee, and prune flavor. The alcohol is disguised well, but I still sense it. This beer is not for the weak of heart or the non stout drinker. Not much lace, but the finish is strong and smooth, with a final kick of blackberry, port wine, and slightly more alcohol. Awesome...just awesome. A hall of famer. One of the few flavor 10s, and one of the highest scores, that I've given. I give minus one tenth for lack of head, and minus two tenths for a slight (very slight) alcohol taste at the finish. One of the best beers of all time.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DrunkAsAmonkey (1) - Alaska, USA - MAR 25, 2004 does not count
THIS BEER WAS DAMN GOOD.... nothing is perfect, but this is damn close to it!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
shadow (11) - Oakford, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 25, 2004
Stouts are a clear favorite of mine. I read alot about this one and to come up with a bottle to sample would have been nice. I was fortunate to stumble upon a freshly delivered case. This Brooklyn Black Beauty poured a midnight black with a rich frothy tan head. The aroma hinted of black licorice but the taste was of roasted coffee blended with bittersweet chocolate that went down smooth and creamy as to hide the 8.5% alcohol. A definite inclusion in my top 10.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JackLanders (55) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - MAR 25, 2004
This beer present a very serious problem because it is quite good. Paired with chocolate and raspberries it is good in the same way that oysters and champagne or lobster and drawn butter are good. Powerfully smooth, dark as any beer can be and extremely rich. The problem is that it is something like 8.5% alcohol and it is 'a dessert beer.' In other words, in it's ideal setting, you will have already quaffed 3 or 4 beers before you even get here. And the chocolate imperial stout will put you over the edge. After a few sips, the alcohol asserts its self and you will know, beyond any doubt, that this is the beer that's going to put you over the edge. But it's too good with the rasberries and chocolate that you have remembered to drink it with and you will finish it anyway. Like a certain someone from your past, it will be gone when you wake up but the headache will remain. And the next time you meet you're going to do it all over again because we never seem to learn that lesson.

1.3
   AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
surfmurf (85) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 23, 2004
Ouch! This is a stout and I don't much care for them. i only finished one completely in my life (A Guiness). This reminded me od rubbing alchohol. I dumped it. If you like Stouts though you might want to give it a try judging from all the positives it's received.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jables (101) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - MAR 22, 2004
Pours pitch black with a stiff creamy tan head. Tastes brilliant of chocolate and roasted malt. It's slightly sour even which is a great contrasting flavor that gives this a lot of depth. The alcohol flavor is amazingly hidden. Mouthfeel and body are great. A very tasty beer that I am so, so glad I bought when I was out East. Comparing this to Young's Double Chocolate Stout is worthless, they are too different, but both are awesome. Gotta check this one out if you get a chance.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JSmith1181 (13) - Warwick, Rhode Island, USA - MAR 20, 2004
What the???????? Who melted the godiva choclate and poured it in while I wasn't looking. Holy Crap. Im a huge fan, I must say you have to have a large appreciation for beer to enjoy this one.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jaysoneslick (24) - Montana, USA - MAR 20, 2004
tastes like chocolate.........................................

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Wheatsheaf (104) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 16, 2004
Winter 2003/2004 bottling. Near-black with burgundy highlights. Chocolate, treacle, and roasted malt in the aroma, with more alcohol as it warms. Initially sweet with notes of chocolate fudge and dark fruit, before becoming dominated by relatively full, oily, roasty, bitter chocolate flavours of notable depth. Long finish with a malty, roasted aftertaste layered over some astringent hoppiness. A bit variable, by some accounts, but this was nothing other than highly enjoyable.