overall

RATINGS: 3079   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 51   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
This is the famous Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, our award-winning rendition of the Imperial Stout style once made exclusively for Catherine the Great. We use three mashes to brew each batch of this beer, achieving a luscious deep dark chocolate flavor through a blend of specialty roasted malts. We brew it every year for the winter season. It is delicious when newly bottled, but also ages beautifully for years.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - FEB 28, 2004
Bottled. Dark squid ink black with a large stained brown head. Massive, powerful chocolate malt flavour. Super rich, dark chocolate flavours. Silky smooth palate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
veronika (410) - SWEDEN - FEB 23, 2004
Dark, almost black, with a nice head. Aroma is cocoa but also fruity. Flavor from cocoa and choclate, malty but not too sweet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
maeib (8726) - Wootton, Northampton, Northamptonshire, ENGLAND - FEB 22, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 20, 2005 I deliberately saved this for my 50th rate as I remember it as being a classic. I even bought my Mum 2 bottles for Christmas. Unfortunately it disappointed slightly this time. That’s not to say it’s a bad beer cause it certainly ain’t. It is very black but with not a lot of head. The smell is bitter and chocolatey. The taste again is of bitter chocolate. I would have liked it to be more roasty and smooth though. Leave out the chocolate and make it a smoother stout and I’m there.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jasonp (1555) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - FEB 19, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 25, 2005 AWESOME Imperial Stout!!!! Pours black with a brown head. Has an incredible hoppy complex chocolatey coffee taste. Leaves a malty burnt-like after taste. Nice balance between sweet and bitter. Mouthfeel is very full, round and creamy. Just delicious. Nice lacing on the glass. The alcohol content is hidden pretty well. I love this brew!

rlgk (10655) - Göteborg/Jönköping, SWEDEN - FEB 15, 2004
Black, not much head. Aroma from chocolatem which actually did not shock me... Flavor is milk chocolate as well, some cream, but also some bitterness. I really like these chocolate stouts.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hophead1962 (11) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - FEB 12, 2004
I love this beer. I tend to stay away from the big malty ones like this and stick to the lagers/ales. But when I do come back to this one, it impresses me. A bit hoppy for a stout but that's a good thing to me. <note my name>. Drink one today.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
tidiaguy (168) - Hawley, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 12, 2004
Deep dark near black, with a nice tan head. Dark chocolate, roasted malt aroma. Big chocolate flavors cocoa sweetness with a dark chocolate bitterness on top of a slight coffee taste. Nice full body feel. Great finish with pleasant after tastes, slight bitter and a good alcohol warming.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Mads Langtved (2245) - Copenhagen K, DENMARK - FEB 10, 2004
This is a monster! One of the bette chocolate stouts I have tried. Very nice balance between the sweetness and the bitterness.

warrior (213) - Mt. Wolf, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 9, 2004
I've had this beer before and it still tastes great! Nice roasted malt aromas with some hop. Good full roasted malt flavor balanced with some hop bitterness. The bitterness was not overdone as I have had in other american micro versions of this beer. Great job Brooklyn!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
heykevin (1276) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - FEB 9, 2004
Hop aroma is very english, dusty, with some dark sweet malt wafting as well. Malt starts a tad astringent, but then the sweetness takes over and rides out on a long slow smooth chocolate finish. Underlying roast coffee as well. Alcohol is well hidden. Thanks a bunch Dan!