RATINGS: 3375   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 51   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
This is the famous Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, our award-winning rendition of the Imperial Stout style once made exclusively for Catherine the Great. We use three mashes to brew each batch of this beer, achieving a luscious deep dark chocolate flavor through a blend of specialty roasted malts. We brew it every year for the winter season. It is delicious when newly bottled, but also ages beautifully for years.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Habanero (4107) - Tranbjerg, DENMARK, DENMARK - NOV 12, 2005
Brown, medium size and medium lasting head. Solid black body. Aroma of roasted bitter chocolate. Lots of dark chocolate, coffee, liquorice and malt in the flavour. Some sweetness. Dominating alcohol. The palate was thinner than Iíd expected. Smokey and bitter aftertaste. I have waited a long time to be able to get my fingers in this one - maybe Iīm a little disappointed.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Ayumbomb (63) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - NOV 12, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 2, 2005 I love a chocolate stout, and I love a high gravity beer, but this chocolate stout was entirely too alcoholy for my taste. Definitely try this beer out, for it might just be me, considering the overwhelmingly high ratings.

Magjayran (1378) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - NOV 10, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 26, 2008 Bottled 2005 version. Pours an extremely thick black color with a small caramel head. Good lacing throughout. Coffee, chocolate, nuts, and a definite hop presence. Absolutely delicious flavor with dark chocolate dominating. Impressive hop presence and no trace of alcohol. Itís amazing that there is no added chocolate to this. Truly divine and rather affordable. Iíll definitely have to keep some of these stored away. I wish this was always available.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TrevorFloyd (309) - Connecticut, USA - NOV 8, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 10, 2006 Phenomenal imperial stout, and reasonably priced (I paid 8 bucks for a six pack). Don’t waste time, just go buy it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
cvillebeer (134) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - NOV 7, 2005
First time in several years Iíve had this. Opaque jet black with a small tn head. The aroma is hoppy, roasty, a little sweet and slightly alcoholy. The flavor is very full, with hops and roasted malt up front, but with a little alcohol burn after and finishes slightly sweet. Not my top favorite Imperial Stout, but one I would happily drink again. Recommended.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
jrob21 (3454) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - NOV 6, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 30, 2006 Pours deep black with dark brown head. Smells of roasted barley, dark bitter chocolate, coffee, and faint alcohol. I love chocolate but I love chocolate beer more.

walter (359) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - NOV 6, 2005
Draft, Baja Bean, Staunton VA. Black with dark brown head. Aromas of roasted barley, dark bitter chocolate, coffee, and faint alcohol. Flavor follows-- very rich, almost velvety chocolate smoothness, with a nice kick of roasted malt and enough alcohol to sustain it all. Our downtown area kicks off its holiday shopping season with a night of shops offering champagne and chocolates. After some truffles and a bit of the bubbly, this beer falls in quite nicely!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - NOV 5, 2005
UPDATED: APR 23, 2011 Bottle. Pours pitch black with a respectable smooth, brown head. The aroma is quite roasty, complemented with chocolate and hops. There is a big, roasty coffee flavor up front, mixed with the richness of bitter chocolate. The finish is pleasantly bitter, earthy hops, and after several sips a subtle sweetness emerges. The alcohol contributes some warmth, but no sting. This is a damn fine brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SB (334) - Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 5, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 14, 2006 from bottle

Drank from bottle, Flavor and aroma bursting with chocolate flavor. Nice rich mouthful. As the beer warmed the chocolate aromas were in full force, as was the bitter aftertaste, I was actually about to taste the alcohol in the end. It would make a perfect match with chocolate cake.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DCJack (185) - Alabama, USA - NOV 4, 2005
ever had Godiva chocolate liqueur? It is supposed to be the essence of chocolate in alcoholic form. I just bought some to use in baking chocloate cakes and truffles. This beer beats it, easily. The true essence of chocolate is not candy, it is raw, musky jungle-love. This beer has it. Smoky and feverish. Made me rub my gums with my fingers like I had just eaten cocaine. And Iíve never eaten cocaine! ;) Wistful aftertaste, like the aroma of a forbidden lover. mmmmmm ~