overall

RATINGS: 818   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 53   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
We brew our beer in New York, about halfway between the hop fields of the Pacific Northwest and the hop fields of Kent, England. So we use earthy English hops to build the foundation and bright citrusy American hops to bring the noise in the rambunctious IPA we call BLAST! British Maris Otter and German Pilsner malts lends solidity, balance and bready flavors to brace up a beer that’s beautifully hoppy, strangely quaffable and oddly compelling. Minerally hop bitterness is followed by a shock wave of flavor and aroma. You won’t even know what hit you.

Malts: Scottish Floor-malted Maris Otter, German Pilsner Malt

Hops: Willamette, Magnum, Cascade, Fuggle, Aurora, Zythos, Bravo, Simcoe, Sorachi Ace, Amarillo, Experiment 6300
18.8°

mbpufall (83) - Andover, Minnesota, USA - FEB 19, 2011
On tap at Brooklyn Brewery. If only they bottled this. Poured what appeared to be a bit of a hazy deep gold (again, plastic glass). Glassware had no effect on the great aroma of sweet citrus and grass. Tastes like if I sprinkly sugar on a grapefruit and wait for it to dissolve before eating, mmmmm. Could’ve sat there all day for more.

mcrae19 (59) - - FEB 13, 2013
Draft. Served in a snifter. Color is somewhere between a deep golden and an amber. ˝-inch head. Strong citrus aroma (Cascade?) but surprisingly less hoppy in flavor than I expected. (The culprit must be the subdued English hops Brooklyn says they use as the foundation.) Don’t get me wrong—this is a fantastic IPA that I would drink again and again. However, with a name like “Blast,” one would anticipate more of a bite. Instead, the strongest hop flavors are floral, and the malt stands up nicely to them. Almost no bitter aftertaste.

Sad24 (210) - GREAT YARMOUTH, Norfolk, ENGLAND - MAR 8, 2015
Bottle from Trembling Madness....easily the best from Brooklyn brewery. Hoppy, full bodied, citrusy, fruity. Cracking

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
zacgillbanks (3335) - Tyne & Wear, ENGLAND - MAY 15, 2015
Bottle from Rehills, Newcastle. Hazy, pale golden coloured with floral melon and orange flavours, pine and tropical notes followed by a smooth creamy pine and peppery hop finish. Superb!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - OCT 22, 2008
So, apparently there has been this little thing known as a hop shortage over the last few years. Has the price of hops gone up? Yes. Has the cost of beers gone up? Yes. It has also though inspired creativity amongst various brewers and breweries in terms of growing their own hops, and so forth. All in all, what it boils down to is that no matter the hurdle, obstacle, or difficulty that may come along, American craft brewers are resourceful and very community oriented. It is definitely all for one and one for all because, in the end, we are all just beer geeks who love beer. Not one to fall behind, and a brewery which brews great beers and also has a love for hops, Brooklyn Brewery released a very limited keg only release of an Imperial IPA called BLAST! And I was lucky enough to acquire a fresh growler of it. Suffice to say, the growler didn’t last long.
Freshly pulled from the keg at a local beerfest, my BLAST! Opened with a pop and immediately fresh oily sweet and piney hops wafted up to my nose while I poured myself a glass. From the growler to the glass, it was a veritable party of fresh hop aromas. Wet and oily, sappy and piney. I would have to say that my favorite hops and hop profile are those which immediately transport me to the middle of a dew-laden forest full of lush pine trees and all the aromas which surround me. Not to be outdone by her nose, a fluffy orange head tops off her haystack and orange colored body, fading slowly and leaving little trails of brussels lace along the way. Pausing to take in her beauty, I raise my glass to my lips and enjoy a quaff, and then two. Her body coats my mouth with rich freshly squeezed oranges which are immediately followed up by wet pine sap, pine needles and an oily viscous texture which is clean, not gritty. My BLAST! has a clean finish which only faintly dries the palate, though the succulent nature of her palate is more than enough reason to go back for more. I happily oblige, and my growler of BLAST from Brooklyn Brewery very quickly diminishes into nothingness.
A very straightforward and exquisitely balanced Imperial IPA from Brooklyn. It is a shame that it was a limited keg release because I would love to have more. She was very straightforward and wore her palate and nose well with what is my favorite hop profile - pine, sap, hop oils, and a hint of citric sweetness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
birch (1) - USA - OCT 27, 2009 does not count
Very hoppy, my son and I drank three at the brewery, thought i couldn’t get enough, three might have been enough.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Macegan75 (752) - Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 2, 2010
Pours a clear amber with slight head. Nose is hopped just right . smelled like pink grapefruit with sugar on top. Barley wine & cotton candy. Definate pine overtones that lend a syrup like quality. Finishes clear and crisp. Really nice beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (5591) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 20, 2010
Sampled on draft at The Headkeeper in Greensburg PA this beer poured a dark golden color with a medium sized yellow-white head that lingered and produced good lacing. The aroma was very strong, tart and sweet with notes of grapefruit, pineapple and pine. The flavor was tart, tangy and sweet with strong notes of grapefruit, pineapple, pine, Sweettart candies, pepper and caramel. The finish was long with fruity and floral hops lingering. Full bodied. Excellent.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
craftbeerdesign (2250) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAY 22, 2010
on tap at Taco Mac, Cumming, GA served in a snifter glass. Arrived at the table a pale yellow with a quarter inch white head... beautiful citrus hop filled aroma with apricot, peach and orange notes... quite different from most IIPA aromas... medium creamy body with some heavy bitterness up front, while soft on the sides... the fruit notes shine through over the top of the mouth, while some malt balanced things out towards the finish.... with some lingering bitterness on the back. I really enjoyed this special beer from Brooklyn... wish it was bottled.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ethereal (2417) - Los Angeles, California, USA - JUL 10, 2010
On tap at the White Horse American Beer Festival, 4th July 2010. Slightly hazy bright amber with a hint of a head. Nose of orange peel with a hint of vanilla. Bitingly refreshing on the sip without being too bitter. Light golden syrup flavour to the malt combines wonderfully with great citrus flavours the hops are delivering. Divine. Spot-on weight, great condition. Very little hint of the strength. It’s like painting your mouth with sunshine. My beer of the festival.