overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 170   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Brown ale aged in Woodford Reserve Bourbon barrels.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - NOV 1, 2008
I am writing this review in the full knowledge, acceptance, and understanding that I have total bias in my thorough enjoyment of this beer. But before I delve into the sensual and orgasmic experience that was the Brooklyn Dark Matter, let me back up and first discuss another love of mine, bourbon. I was able to enjoy my first good bourbon a little over a year ago which was the Woodford Reserve. I love a good single malt scotch, but bourbons are new territory for me. Thankfully, my first foray into unknown woods was with a quality bourbon, albeit a bit on the sweeter side as opposed to some. It was divine. With my Woodford Reserve indoctrination under my belt, I was more than ready to delve into the Dark Matter from Brooklyn Brewery. A special gift and a very limited production with absolutely no intentions for any further production, I was thrilled to savor its dark depths, and depressed to know that I would be unable to ever meet her again.
Brooklyn Dark Matter is their brown ale which is taken and aged for 8 months in Woodford Reserve bourbon barrels. After spending 8 luxurious months in the barrels, the brown ale was then taken and bottled with champagne yeast in 750ml corked bottles for a secondary and final fermentation to create the truly divine and inspired brew within.
My Dark Matter poured a rich opaque brown, much like dark mud or wet dirt, with faint traces of burnt amber tracing the bottom of my glass. A tightly packed dark head fades to a miniscule ring around the sides of my glass while her brew below stares seductively at me. Very slight brussels lace invite as I partake of her nose. Fresh vanilla beans, warm spices and bourbon notes, smoke, with faint traces of cinnamon and burnt malt. her deep brown tones belies her soft and light body, thanks largely in part to being bottled for a secondary fermentation with champagne yeasts. Immediately my tastebuds and whole person are warmed by rich bourbon, vanilla, and wood notes. Coming in second are toffee and caramelized brown sugar. I am in heaven, literally. I want to savor her slowly, but I cannot wait and must return for more. Rich, warm, vanilla bourbon barrel notes; seductive. Subtly sweet and effervescent from start to finish. As I finish my glass, a few more brussels lace trace her divine travels from barrel, to bottle, to glass, and finally to me. I am left craving more, along with a glass of Woodford Reserve.
There are very few beer experiences I can recall where days afterwards I could in full clarity relive every single quaff. The Brooklyn Dark Matter is one such beer, and despite my desire for more, I will probably never be able to enjoy her ever again. But, that is a minor detail when compared to the privilege and life-altering experience of being blessed by her. If I could go back in time, I would go back to that moment so I could enjoy my Dark Matter once more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
daknole (9044) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - MAR 16, 2009
Bottle from the Otown throwdown. miketd you rock. Nice brown pour wtih a tan colored head. Bourbon smacks your nose upon opening it and keep smacking your nose throughout. Some vanilla, oak and caramel matls are evident but as you drink it the bourbon just kicks ass. What a great beer to try.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mgargiulo (1) - USA - MAR 19, 2010 does not count
Poured from a keg at the Brooklyn Brewery. Strong whiff of bourbon in the nose. Little to no head, average lacing. Nice mouthfeel - not too heavy but definitely not thin, definitely can taste the bourbon notes of vanilla and caramel. An almost perfect whiskey-aged brown ale - Garrett Oliver continues to impress me with the delicious Brewmaster’s Reserve Series, I just wish these were more readily available and not so temporary.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
craftbeerdesign (2175) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - APR 25, 2010
on tap at Taco Mac, Crabapple. arrived to the table a dark brown color with a thin tan head. Dark Matter is a serious Bourbon aged beer... the Bourbon notes start off somewhat reserved on the nose, apparent, yet held back... there are also some notes of chocolate malt, caramel, vanilla and light oak. Through the medium body, the Bourbon notes really shine and come forward very well... almost like drinking a glass of Bourbon until the finish brings back the malt of the beer. There are also some faint fruit notes throughout the smooth body as well as some caramel and more vanilla notes. Dark Matter drinks very well and finishes with more Bourbon flavors, roasted malts and touch of alcohol heat. Overall, this is a special beer from Brooklyn that really shines in the barrel aging... fans of Bourbon will really enjoy it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Thorpe429 (5012) - , Illinois, USA - MAR 5, 2011
Reviewed from notes. Pours dark brown win a somewhat thin tan head. Nose brings a good amount of depth with bourbon, roast, vanilla, and chocolate. He taste features bourbon and some oak along with roasted mmalt and chocolate. Hints of vanilla and booze. Good body with a nice boozy touch. Drinks quite well; really executed this concept quite nicely. Serving type: growler Reviewed on: 10-19-2010

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
gunhaver (1030) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAR 15, 2009
C&PLYFOTD: Bottle, courtesy miketd. Dark brown pour, thick lacing and frothy head. Spicy nose, woodsy oak, vanilla and thick chocolate with a slight coffee must. Rich woodsy flavors, with tons of chocolate, caramel and lots of spices. Full and rich, very delicious, and could get better in the coming months.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DeadGuyPerez (106) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 21, 2010
Had this one at the American Craft Beer Fest in Boston. Pours a very dark brown, aromas of dark fruit, malt, taste of the same with a hint of sourness. Really great.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Beer4000 (4434) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - DEC 1, 2010
Sampled @ Copenhagen Beer Festival 2010. Nice reddish brown body with a small beige head. Aroma of sweet and light roasted malt, caramel and dry fruit. Flavor is really smooth caramel, mild malt, dry fruit and a hint of wood. Very smooth and balanced, long and pleasant finish – wow!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Rciesla (5499) - Exit 15W, New Jersey, USA - DEC 1, 2008
Bottle. Pours a dark brown body with a tan head. Chocolate, licorice, loads of chocolate, lots of bourbon and oak. Light fruitiness. Great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - DEC 21, 2008
Bottle. Pours with a frothy head that settles into a thin sheen. Aroma is bourbon but it doesnt smack you in the face. Flavor is a nice caramel with a soft carbonation and the bourbon complements it nicely. I thought this beer was a crazy idea but it really works.