overall

RATINGS: 1952   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.45   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Brooklyn Lager, the Brewery's flagship label, is New York's "hometown" beer, brewed to a pre-Prohibition recipe that dates back to the days when Brooklyn was the brewing capital of the East Coast. Brooklyn Lager has won numerous awards. Wrote Michael Jackson in the Simon & Schuster Pocket Guide to Beer: "The dry-hopped, fresh, flowery, firm, flavourful, Brooklyn Lager **-*** started well, in 1988, and has gained in character since."

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
skaughty (643) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - AUG 9, 2004
Fine stuff indeed. This marzen-like brew is amber in color and malty in the nose and on the palate. On the balance it is 75% malt/25% hops, just to keep it lively and enhance the aroma. Taste is of honey and oranges. Finish is clean. This is the rare lager to sip rather than pound after mowing the lawn.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
RichardWilding (201) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - AUG 10, 2004
Bottle. Golden in colour, floral hoppy aroma. Slight hoppy bitterness. Dry, flowery finish. Decent beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
CamdenD (1056) - Madrid, SPAIN - JUL 25, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2006 ReRate -- Winter 2006 -- well maybe I was just hankering for a bit of hops in London, but this out of the bottle had a bit more to it. Reminded me a bit of a sam adams in its nice deepness and "american-ness." Hoppy lagers aren’t bad. Ehh... smell reminded me of a macro. Nothing here at all to make me want more. Very bland lager. (3/3/5/3/8)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
DKlovesbeer (172) - Sarasota, Florida, USA - JUL 30, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 14, 2007 This is a damn fine beer. I wish I could get it at the local supermarket. If I could then this would be my number one beer in the fridge. Pours with a golden copper color and a tan puffy head. Head dissipates quickly but leaves a drop of lace behind. Aroma is sweet and malty with some hops on the back end. Flavor is slightly fruity for a lager, very malty and filling. Overall, everybody I know who has tried this beer has enjoyed it. It is smooth, satisfying, and delicious. If I knew this beer was so good when I lived in Brooklyn I might have never left. Tried this again recently; this time on draft. I noticed that the draft version has a distinct malty, scotch character to it. The more I explore this beer the more I find to like about it. Note: June 14 2007, Guess what? Lucky me, this beer is now available locally. As promised it’s on the top shelf of my fridge in its new permanent spot.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
BrewEd (182) - Wilmington, North Carolina, USA - JUL 20, 2004
Bottled: OK but a little thin. Mild hops with a faint malt follow. I’ll have to try it again - maybe I got a bad one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
iratherbe (255) - Marlton, New Jersey, USA - JUL 24, 2004
Good stuff! I have to say a surprisingly great Vienna from Brooklyn. Nice and smooth, red orange copper hues, serious satisfying malty taste for the style and just a hint of hoppiness to go with it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
mkobes (2138) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - AUG 10, 2004
On tap. Golden in color with a nice head. Nice floral hoppy aroma. Nice and clean tasting. Smooth. Decent beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - JUL 16, 2004
Basically I found this one to be citrussy hops on bland malt. Clear orange with a white lasting head. Hoppy aroma and flavor, and what seams to be Cascades???. It is smooth and clean, but not really my thing.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
HoosierDadday (13) - USA - JUL 12, 2004
This is a fantastic beer. Brooklyn’s best, and that’s saying something. Quite possibly the best lager brewed in the United States

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jimmack (1222) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - JUL 21, 2004
Light brown/amber with a medium sized off white head. Aroma of hops and malt. Malty flavor that has a nice balance of hops.