Brooklyn Monster Ale

overall
Formerly brewed at Brooklyn Brewery
Style: Barley Wine
Brooklyn, New York USA

RATINGS: 1516   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 324   ABV: 10.8%
Brooklyn Monster Ale is a classic barley wine, a style of ale originally brewed by the butlers to the English and American aristocracy. It is brewed from three mashes of heirloom British malt and spiced with aromatic American Willamette, Cascade and Fuggle hops.

After four months of aging, it has a magnificent burnished copper color, an aroma redolent of sherry, citrusy hops and fruit, a soft, warming, complex palate, a spiritous finish, and a strength of 10.8%.

It is vivacious when young, but will age gracefully for many years, becoming more complex over time.

Food Matches

Brooklyn Monster Ale is a fine accompaniment to cheeses, ice cream, flourless cakes, crème brulee and good cigars.

tromboneman (17) - USA - AUG 11, 2006
This is truly one of my favorite barley wines. It is so very fruitful down to its very nature and being (as well with its taste). How could anyone ask for anything more satisfying? This is truly an all around beer with many complexities that lead one drinker, i.e. me, to be in astonishment. Double- Chocó is one thing on Brooklyn’s menu but watch out for the “Monster Ale- 2004." This is a high alcohol beer without the taste, of course, but it is original in character. Monster ale rates far higher than any other barely wine coming from the American land.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Cobra (1100) - Banned City, - MAY 1, 2003
Man, they named this beer correctly ! What a Monster ! Mine is the 2003 batch, I missed out on last years batch. More's the pity too. Pours out a rich, caramel color, mine had a decent but short-lived head that faded to a nice lace. Citrus-y hops aroma up front, with caramel aromas and malts galore. It's a very well balanced beer, Brooklyn Brewery sure did their homework on this one. Spicy middle to it, with an alcohol finish. Very warming to the palate, not overdone however. The flavor changes as it warms up, bringing the maltiness to the foreground. A very good beer. Makes me wish I'd bought a case, rather than a six pack. Should age very well. I highly recommend trying this beer at least once.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Rocco13 (4) - USA - OCT 9, 2007 does not count
One of the most complex beers I’ve ever experienced. Similarin mouth-feel to a scotch, with a memorable, lasting finish.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
efecher (70) - Long Valley, New Jersey, USA - APR 21, 2012
Delicious barleywine brew. Pours amber in color. Alcohol taste, not overpowering but it’s there. Slightly citrusy flavor going down, warming definitely from the alcohol. very smooth and enjoyable. This one you don’t chug, fratboys

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
rosebud (47) - Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA - FEB 25, 2001
One of the best barley wine style beers I’ve ever had. I was lucky enough to get 2000 and 2001 editions. Definitely a beer to cellar, it just gets better with age, it develops a hoppier and more bitter taste (which I love in a beer). Much smoother than Bigfoot, but I like the hoppiness and bitternes of Bigfoot better.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
pauljackson1 (25) - Fairfax Station, Virginia, USA - FEB 16, 2009
Protypical traditional English Barley wine. Tastes very authentic, reminding me of Thomas Hardy’s.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
julieimagery (182) - Coconut creek, Florida, USA - MAY 7, 2012
Delicious! This one had barely any of that strong hop flavor but wasn’t too sweet either. Smooth, rich and warming. My bottle was actually 10.1%, wonder why they differ so much. But this is another new favorite.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Got Stout? (173) - Wisconsin, USA - JUN 10, 2001
There was an excellent plum flavor followed by an extreme alcoholic hit that just leveled me...I wish that I had had more that just one, but @ 11.8%, that could prove disasterous

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
invalid (302) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 17, 2004
Wow. This is the best beer I have ever tasted. The initial smell is of hops with a bit of mall. Deep brownish red color, little head. Flavor starts of hops, then goes to a sweet chocolate/caramel flavor to a coffee, then to a hop finish. I'm sorry, but for all the beers I've rated and all the ones I've had but haven't rated, this is the best!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
harmfuldrunk (288) - New Jersey, USA - FEB 26, 2006
Hands down the best, the barlywine that got me into them and still wearing the crown (always looking for more). but this one is done well. Great taste easy to drinl, great aroma, full bodied, amazing. (I am keeping a case for further enjoyment)