overall

RATINGS: 111   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.03   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Formerly known as "The Tonic"
We spend a lot of time with our pals in the cocktail world, and they are constantly putting new flavor combinations in front of us. One of my favorites is a Scotch-based cocktail called The Penicillin. Invented by bartender Sam Ross at Sasha Petraske’s famous NYC cocktail bar Milk & Honey, the Pencillin is an instant classic. It combines peaty Scotch, ginger-infused honey, and lemon juice. It’s an improbable blend, but it’s delicious, and it’s also the inspiration for our next Brewmaster’s Reserve beer, The Tonic. The government wouldn’t let us call the beer “Penicillin”, we’re afraid. But friends, between you and us, this brand new Tonic will cure many of your ills. Now take your Tonic and text us tomorrow.

MALTS English Peat Smoked Malt, English Pale Malt, German Pilsner Malt

HOPS Willamette, Cascades, Fuggles, Kent Goldings, Simcoe, Citra, Sorachi Ace, Amarillo

ADDITIONS Dried Lemon Peel, Minced ginger, NYS Wildflower Honey, Organic, Lemon Juice from Italy (Sicily)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
phaleslu (6509) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 23, 2011
Draft in a sampler at Great Lost Bear. They had this listed on the menu under "Pale Ale" - I hadn’t heard of it before, and wow, was that misleading. Pours a clear, amber-gold color with a small off-white head. Aroma of spicy hops, berries, winter spices, rosemary, and a shitload of ginger. Same ton of ginger shows up in the flavor along with sugar, various herbs and spices, lemon, and smoked malts at the end. Light-medium bodied, with moderate carbonation and a super spicy mouthfeel. Almost scratches and burns if not for some balancing sugars and a strange smoky aftertaste. Interesting as hell.

DocLock (7861) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 7, 2011
Draft at Capone’s. Pours turbid orange with off-white head. Nose is caramel malt, a spice medley, and hops. Tastes very spicy, hoppy, with caramel malt, and clove and ginger seeming to be the spices that stand out the most. Not a technically great beer, butg big points for ballsiness, and a beer everyone should try at least once.

otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - DEC 30, 2011
Appearance: orange and bright under a soft off-white head which fades into a thin layer bordered by a solid collar.
Nose: mint, ginger – ginger is heavy and intense – followed by spice and caramelization. Warm honey. Oak and scotch and wafts of salty peat much like ocean spray. Thyme, basil, grains of paradise followed by earth rich in greenery – ferns and moss.
Palate: caramelized and raw ginger all over. Raw lemon along with the essence of lemoncello in the breath which also mingles with ginger. Mint, sage, and bay leaves. Medium weight and clean mouthfeel. Raw oak, sea spray, ocean, seaweed, iodine, and a wee bit of Scotland. A sense of time and place – jazz, prohibition, speakeasy, zoot suits.
Final Thoughts: I loved this beer. Like all (or at least most) Brewmaster Reserve beers the Concoction changed on a weekly basis in terms of flavor profile dominance. That alone brings out new flavor profiles and abstractions and combinations. As a single-malt fanatic and novice cocktailarian I wholly appreciated this cocktail inspired beer. In tasting this beer I now want to taste the cocktail which inspired it. I see a lot of online ‘boo-hissing’ of this beer and while it might be what we expect of ‘beer’ isn’t that quite frankly the whole point of the Brewmaster Series? To explore the beery unexplored? Garrett is a beer geek foodie cocktailarian cigar aficionado etc etc… Garrett is a burgundian. Garrett is a flavorholic and flavor explorer. I can relate. To all those who ‘boo-hissed’ this beer, all that much more for me.

Bacterial (1555) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - FEB 20, 2012
I like odd beers, and this is one of the strangest I’ve had in a while. Served on tap at Stub & Herb’s, this was an interesting combination of many flavors. About 3/4 way though the flavor explosion was a mineral / soapy taste that I did not enjoy, but it quickly mellowed and finished nicely. I would be happy to have this again, but wouldn’t go out of my way for it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
blipp (6114) - Newark, New Jersey, USA - APR 5, 2012
Draft. Pours orange with a white head. Pretty sure they hit the nail on the head with what they were trying to do. Ginger, lemon, and peat smoked malts. The smoked malt is more evident in the flavor. Really weird, but hey, I like weird.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
omhper (19380) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - APR 27, 2012
Draught at Akkurat, Stockholm. Hazy golden, mid sized head. Heavy on ginger and lemon. Sweet with medium-full body and rounded mouthfeel. Orange peels and ginger marmelade. Low bitterness. Manages to retain balance with all the spices.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hirigalzkar (2291) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - APR 27, 2012
Draught @ Akkurat. Unique brew, this one... The texture reminds me of soda, altough the taste is quite complex yet in balance. Notes of smoke, orange and preserved fruits. A bit dry. Kind of reminds me of the traditional finnish drink "sima".

nuplastikk (4399) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 10, 2013
Tap at BP Dupont Circle. Unfiltered orange-tan. Steady white head. Straight up fruity ginger beer, sweet, not sharp or bitter. Lemon juice, dulled out, not so great. Very ginger dominate. Drinkable, but not impressive.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ilovedarkbeer (2289) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUL 18, 2011
On tap. Very different. Pours an orange color with a foamy off white head. Notes of ginger, vinyl, lemon juice, smoke, and bread dough. Lively mouthfeel. I enjoyed it. Points for being different.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
fiulijn (14573) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - AUG 2, 2011
Draught at St. Augustine, Vancouver
Cloudy light amber color. The aroma is perfumy, a bit herbal and spicy, soapy. The flavor is sweetish, and as described by the recipy is a mix of everything, resulting in a honeish herbal spicy (ginger is evident) concoction.
I don’t know if this potion can heal anybody, and it’s not the kind of beer I prefer, but it’s a funny, drinkable experiment.