RATINGS: 6   MEAN: 3.78/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21   EST. CALORIES: 390   ABV: 13%
We are excited to craft our first Paw Paw mead, a true example of using local and indigenous ingredients. The Paw Paw fruit and the spice bush berry are both native edibles from the Eastern region of the United States. We think you’ll taste why each drop of this mead is a statement of the richness and diversity that our state offers. It bursts a spectrum of tastes; citrus, melon, honey, earth and spice. Paw Paw blushes a light pink with a semi-sweet finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Brobertson (1) - Newbury, Ohio, USA - MAR 22, 2013 does not count
I really like how the paw paw fruit cuts the sweetness you find in many meads. I wish it was more widely available.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Tmoney99 (10073) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - NOV 9, 2012
Sample. Poured clear golden color with good legs. Moderate to heavy dark honey and fruit aroma. Medium body with a smooth rich texture. Medium dark honey, spice and citrus flavor with a rich sweet finish of moderate duration. Pleasing rich flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Dogbrick (7243) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 9, 2012
Sample at the tasting room. This Mead is a clear pale yellow color with no head and decent legs. Aroma of sweet fruit and honey. Medium to full body with flavors of tangerine/paw paw, herbs and spices. The finish is sweet with a tropical fruit aftertaste. Above average overall.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JaBier (4528) - Capital City, Ohio, USA - NOV 3, 2012
Sample at Brothers Drake on 10/8/12. Clear yellow in color with no head and some legs. Very herbal nose with notes of tropical fruit, honey and alcohol. Honey and spice flavor with sour fruit before an earthy finish. Not at all what I was expecting. Kind of overpowering on the herb/spice character, which I don’t mind, but I wouldn’t want more than a glass of this in one sitting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
radarsock (823) - Vermont, USA - OCT 31, 2012
UPDATED: NOV 13, 2012 Served at the source. Pours a light pencil yellow; no discernible head. Smells and tastes of, ironically, pencil shavings, Cognac heat, paw paw puree, Stevia, spent yeast and macerated white grapes. Out of all the meads I tried that day, this was accurately the most wine-like consumed: slightly acidic with a very thin uncarbonated mouthfeel in which was dominated by its ABV. I liked this mead quite a lot, however its ABV percentage was truly the least balanced I remember. I felt the booziness right on my first sip.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
phaleslu (5867) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAR 19, 2012
Pour from a bottle in a sampler at the meadery. Pours a clear peach-gold color with no head or visible carbonation. Aroma of honey underneath a variety of fruits and floral notes; grapes, melon, mild spice. I didn’t know what a paw paw was, but I guess it’s pretty out there. The flavor is even more unique and delicious, with more spices and herbs on top of honey, tropical fruit, citrus, and floral notes. Even a little tartness. Medium-bodied, with no carbonation and a tart, fruity, spicy mouthfeel. So different. My favorite of the BD mead lineup.