overall
Brewed by Cerveceria Bucanero (InBev)
Style: Pale Lager
Holguín, Cuba

RATINGS: 347   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.06   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
Also sold as Cubanero Fuerte.
Bucanero brings the mystery and passion of Cuba in a golden beer, with a vigourous and robust flavour. Our ancient and secret production process combines the finest selection of hops, water and malt.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
Finn (4157) - Tromsø, NORWAY - DEC 5, 2006
Bottle 0,35l. Shared with Rune in room 1220, Nordic Sea Hotel, Stockholm 3 Dec 2006. Golden coloured. No head. Sweet alcoholic aroma. Fizzy. Rummy flavour. Sourish bitter finish with alcoholic notes. Very carbonated. Thanks to ompher for trading this one.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Quillaraymi (88) - USA - OCT 1, 2006
No me gusto para nada!! Sabe a lata oxidada, hay que acompañar esta cerveza con algun piqueo de sabor EXTRA fuerte para que no se sienta el sabor :S

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
highlandlad (1416) - Blue Mountains, AUSTRALIA - SEP 28, 2006
One of the joys of beer hunting is the unexpected find. I’m trudging along a dusty street in a village on a Malaysian island. It’s 40C and so humid you could squeeze a pint of sweat out of your shirt. We’ve walked miles after our dodgy taxi driver abandoned us in the "centre of town" - which turned out to be three miles away. I’m knackered, the wife’s pissed off and knackered. And I’m sick of drinking nothing but Tiger beer for the last five days. So when the wife pointed out a grim-looking liquor store, I went in for the air conditioning more than the prospect of decent beer. And there among the familiar rows of Tiger, Carlsberg and Guinness was this Cuban lager. I was pathetically excited. I knew in my heart of hearts it would be rubbish - but it was new. Two weeks later, here I am drinking it back in Australia - and yes, it’s pretty ordinary. It’s a muddy gold colour and raises a stingy head. The honeyed aroma is more inviting, with some mint, brown sugar and a herbal note. Medium gravity and sticky with sugars. It’s a sweet lager with an unusual minty mouthwash overtone and a pinch of oregano. Low bitterness and no hint of the 5.4% abv. Reminds me of those Christmas candy canes. A very odd lager but by no means awful. And hey, at least it’s not Tiger. (350ml bottle from a Langkawi bottle shop)

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
presario (4611) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - AUG 7, 2006
The beer on tap foamed more in my travel mug than the Cristal. More of a gold than yellow in colour. A harsh edge to the flavour in the finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
cheeta (1181) - Langå, DENMARK - AUG 6, 2006
Light malty aroma. With a large frothy white head. Good lasing and mostly diminishing longevity. Yellow body hue. Moderate bitter initial flavor, medium palate.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
HenrikSoegaard (10480) - Randers, DENMARK - AUG 6, 2006
Bottle. Frothy white good mostly lasting white head. Yellow colour. OK moderate malty aroma. Slightly hoppy. Nice sweet flavor, short finish and watery palate, but ok pale lager.

0.7
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
bridge (659) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAY 31, 2006
Aah, Cuba. Famous for massive cigars and massive beers. Well, the cigar bit is true anyway. This poured with a vigorous fizzy head fueled by large bubbles from the clear golden liquid,but disappearing soon after - typical crappy pale lager. This is up there with the worst of them in fact: a corny adjunct aroma, and a metallic bitterness and sugary sweet flavour. Unfortunately the flavour lingers a little while on the palate, which in many beers is appreciated but in this it’s unfortunate. I never thought I’d say it, but I think it’s worse than VB...

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
sinkhole (263) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - APR 24, 2006
A stronger tasting, brown amber coloured beer. A sugary malt flavour and aroma. Although it was a nice change from the Cristals you’d drink all day in the sun, it is hardly worth tracking down outside of Cuba.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Skinnyviking (6976) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAR 10, 2006
Bottle. Small qucily disappearing white head. Clear reddish body. Weak malt aroma. Too sweet, thought that it was brewed with corn.

1.3
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
CiroFerrara (85) - USA - FEB 21, 2006
OK, the first time I got this beer I drank it directly from the can, which made it taste even more like metal and ONLY alcohol, and the next one it was drunk by me from a nice stem glass, and then it got surprisingly better. Anyway it is not recommendable in any way, but interesting trying it.