overall

RATINGS: 344   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56   IBU: 80   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
The Hippie I.P.A. continues to be the Buckeye Brewing Company’s best selling beer. First brewed in the summer of ’98, the “Hippie” has become a Cleveland classic among hop lovers. Reminiscent of ales brewed on the Pacific west coast, the Hippie I.P.A. is big, rich in malt and chock full of hops. American malts are used in the grain bill, including pale ale, crystal, dextrin malt and torrified wheat. It is hopped five times with a combination of Northern Brewer and Cascade. After fermentation, hops are added “dry” to impart bold hop aroma. The Hippie starts at 1.068 and is 80 IBU’s.

krautdog (15) - Gimmelstümph, GERMANY - SEP 7, 2007
Props to Buckeye. I’m a big IPA fan and I must admit this is my favorite. Pours a beautiful copper color and the aroma of Cascade hops is perfect. Nice head and a perfect carbonation level. The flavor is right on. The Brewery moved in the past year and I couldn’t find the beers for a while but, they are starting to turn up again (this sample was on tap) I think it tasts even better than before, not sure if it is brewed any differently now, or if it seemed better because I haven’t had it in a while. I strongly reccomend this to all of you hopheads out there.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - JUN 24, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 23, 2003 WOW! I have finally found a rival to Stone IPA and Hop Devil - this puppy is so pleasantly hoppy, i was in heaven. The color is different from most IPA's I've seen - deep ruby red. very decent head stayed the whole time along with beautiful lace. Thick, chewy malt body is perked up by bitingly citrus hops - 80 IBU is pretty hefty (must be the 5 additions of hops - that seems like alot). I originally tried this beer about a year and a half ago - i really didn't care for it then, but I really didn't like hops then - decided to finally give it another chance and I am so glad I did. This could easily become my new favorite.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beergodz (4) - Seven Hills, Ohio, USA - DEC 12, 2006 does not count
A Buckeye classic. This is a benchmark for what an IPA should taste like. This is a good introductory beer for a neophyte craft beer drinker who wants to experience "full bodied taste".

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
JahNoth (1039) - Rochester, New York, USA - MAR 14, 2003
This is a mighty tasty ale. The aroma is a luscious hop flower and the bitter flavor is balanced with a sweet malt flavor. Reminiscent of an American Strong Ale - like Rogue Santa and Arrogant bastard. I wish I could buy it here in Rochester. Props to Alcfron for the sample.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
xmarcnolanx (929) - Kirkwood, Missouri, USA - JUL 19, 2010
Aroma is sweet citrus, pine, and tropical fruits with some malt backbone. Very nice. Well balanced hop profile and maltiness. Pours with pillows of egg shell head and yellow orange body. Taste is sweet caramel malts, biscuit, piny/citrus hops and passion fruit. Very well balanced, not overly aggressive. Finish is dank pine and citrus with some sweetness and a scant dryness to round it out. Very good IPA!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - NOV 4, 2002
Lasting thick creamy head on top of a copper-reddish body. Great lacing. Nose of orange rind and citrus. Lemony citrus taste with hops prevalent over the malts, but balances nicely. Very fresh and enjoyable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - FEB 24, 2004
Dark amber color,small creamy off white head that lasted for a long time and left a nice lace behind.Nice hoppy grapefruit aroma with a mild sweet side.Nice smooth grapefruit and hop flavor that starts out kind of sweet then finishes off with a nice hop bitterness.You gotta love a brew like this,killer aroma and smooth highly drinkable brew that leaves you wishing for more.Thanks go to Drew for sending this mouth watering selection.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - APR 6, 2006
Nose speaks of a huge hops blast of spicy burnt pine & citrus. No shortage of perfume. Why can’t someone make a cologne that smells like this? The titanic bone white tight frothy stiff head bursts forth like nothing I’ve ever before witnessed. I mean really, this is ridiculous. The brewers at Buckeye Brewing have taken the NOS head 1 step further by adding detergent to their beer. They definitely take good head seriously, I long for head like this. Did I already mention that this head has permanent retention? The flavor is not lacking in the balance department, not an easy task for the style. The character and depth are notable as well. The medium soft body is dry.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Braudog (5890) - Traveling the USA, Missouri, USA - MAY 27, 2009
22 oz bottle. Nice pour -- I don’t know why but I was surprised by the relatively dark color of this, rusty reddish brown with a nice head. The aroma is damn near perfect -- like a northwestern hop farm, but nice and even and not too overpowering. And this drinks with a pleasant citrus-pine roundness and a full-up malt undertow. Don’t know why my expectations were low, but this beer far exceeded them and more. (#3556, 5/27/2009)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
kyzr (1153) - Belgrade, Montana, USA - DEC 22, 2002
1st off thanks alcfron for this brew. That’s why I love this site. This beer is one of the better IPA’s that I’ve had. Great aroma of the hops. Great taste of the hops, and great finish with the hops. A wonderful beer, a must try for any hop head!