Budweiser American Ale

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 812   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.68   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Carefully brewed with barley from Americaís heartland and cascade hops from the pacific northwest, this rich, amber colored ale has robust flavor and a distinctive hoppy finish.

stubby's rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
stubby (334) - Santee, California, USA - OCT 10, 2008
A little water for the style. Like other raters have said, nice hops and certainly a departure from the American standard lagers that made them famous.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Shanebrews (194) - Texas, USA - NOV 10, 2014
Iím going from memory because I havenít seen this recently. The beer looked very appealing, an amber color that is almost red with a pillowy head. The aroma was non-descript. The taste was malty and medium bodied with some elements of roast and just a bit of chewiness. The bittering was present but mild. I think some of the elements of this brew were carried over into Black Crown.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
slowrunner77 (6077) - Reno, Nevada, USA - OCT 14, 2014
"i bought this while waiting for the store manager to check if he was going to be getting Old Guardian this year. It was a single on the 20% off rack, so what the hell. I was expecting a 2, what I got, while nothing great, will go down as my highest rated Bud product, and right up there with the best AB has ever produced. it actually looks nice on the pour...amber with a generous head. the aroma is enticing, but is so weak you really have to work for it. the mouthfeel would be better served with slightly lower carbonation, but isnít bad. the flavor is pretty decent on the tongue...more malt than hops, but then NO finish whatsoever. Almost respectable, which was a pleasant surprise for a buck."

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Bulk_Carrier (2247) - Juneau, Alaska, USA - AUG 7, 2014
Though retired, hereís my notes on this one. This was poured into a pint glass. The appearance had a hazy red/amber color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated within less than a minute. Light speckled lacing tried to cling but slid for the most part. The smell had a good caramel malts up front with a light nutty to light toffee rounding out the aroma. The taste took those aromas to town as it really came across nicely on my taste buds. On the palate, this one sat a light to medium in body with a fairly decent sessionability about it. The carbonation was good for the style and for me. It left a nice creaminess rolling over my tongue. Overall, just when Budweiser makes something people liked they retire it? Uh...gee weez, maybe theyíll bring it back some day as I know Iíd probably pick up a sixer of it when it comes back.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
eRock_2013 (274) - South Carolina, USA - JUL 6, 2014
I remember I found a few bottles of this a few years ago, disappointed to learn this was discontinued because I remember it tasting like it had some potential. Struck me as a Yuengling knock-off, with amber color and caramel malt aroma and taste. Mostly remember a comfortable toasty malt profile, don't recall any impact of being allegedly dry-hopped with cascade hops. Smooth medium body. Some refreshing bitterness in the finish. I think they did better with the black crown lager anyway.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
AlfredReece92 (25) - Taylor, Arkansas, USA - JUL 3, 2014
smelled better than it tasted... I really liked the color, looked to me what beer does in my head when I think of it... the taste however was a little bitter, not sure if It was just because it was old though I donít think it was very old when I had it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
generallee08 (717) - New York, USA - JUN 18, 2014
The body had a beautiful reddish, medium amber color with a small just off white colored head. The clarity is good and head fades down quickly to a very thin covering that barely hangs on. The aroma had a pleasant but mild citrus and piney hop character. The flavor has a modest malt flavor with lightly toasted grain and light caramel notes. The balance leans in favor of the hops which bring mild pine and citrus notes to the mix. Hop bitterness is very mild and finishes clean. Its texture is smooth with average carbonation and it has a light to medium body, making it refreshing and highly drinkable. Overall I would say that this is about what I had expected from Budweiser although I would have liked a little more solid malt character and body.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Imaena (1881) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - NOV 23, 2013
Draught. This has a hint of malt and a bit more body than I expected. Boring but passable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
DedicatedToFun (2992) - Santa Monica, California, USA - SEP 15, 2013
A truly American beer, cold and refreshing with a great name and thatís about all it is

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
rumproasts (3232) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - SEP 14, 2013
bottle. Golden with small head. Certainly better than a standard Budweiser. Thereís actually some flavor - light malt and a touch of hops, but still quite boring.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 5/20
SewerJosh (1) - Crosby, Texas, USA - AUG 13, 2013 does not count
Good moderate beer for a reasonable price. Average ale taste but no real thick head or aroma, on average, a decent beer.