overall
Brewed by Budweiser Budvar Ceske Budejovice
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
České Budějovice, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 1944   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.16   IBU: 22   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Czechvar is the special name (editor’s note: for North America) of the world famous beer produced by the renowned brewery in Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic. Benefitting from over 700 years of brewing experience of the South Bohemian region, Czechvar is the golden original, acknowledged by many connoisseurs as one of the best lagers in the world.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TheBeerGod (5284) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - NOV 12, 2003
Pours a clear golden body. Nose is slightly skunked, but has a decent malt and light hop character underlying it. The taste is malted also with a grassy, crisp tongue. A little bit of skunked bitterness makes it's way in too, and detracts from the overall taste. Very soft mouthfeel. Clean finish with also no aftertaste. Pretty good pilsener.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
wulfhere (217) - Billings, Montana, USA - NOV 11, 2003
Green Bottle--ugh. Nose is subtle, slight hop aroma followed by very mild maltiness like creme soda. White head with good retention and lace, small bubbles and good structure. Color is a pale yellow like summer wheat or straw. Tastes subtly like lemon or apple cider. Mild malt apparent on first taste and smooth easy-going hop character. Just about everything a traditional Pils should have, but it's almost like a "light" pils. I've had better. Still, I love Budvar on a hot summer day!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
heemer77 (5104) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - NOV 10, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 15, 2003 A fairly strong lager. Has lots of flavor and a light appearance. Has a decent sweet taste. About as good as a lager can get.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
jsquire (3499) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - NOV 7, 2003
Pale yellow with a thin, quickly disappearing head. Sweet corn nose. Better than the BMC beers, but not a lot. Cleaner palate and finish, but still almost a cloying corn sweetness. Good with a sandwich.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
WisconsinBeer (706) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - NOV 5, 2003
Yellow, soapy foam head. Could be confused for Miller lite. Thats where the similarity ends. Crisp and smooth, some malts to begin. Ends on a nice dry hop note. The green bottle has gots to go, though. Points for freshness dating. Good for the style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Reid (1917) - Salem, Oregon, USA - NOV 2, 2003
Ok have never tried the "other" Budweiser! Comes in a nice tapered neck brown bottle..attaractive label and gold foil. The appearance is good but pretty average for a lager..deep yellow beer..with attractive and fast carbonation strings//largush pure white head that goes down fast some lacing. Smell however is above normal..some great hop aromas..and it smells fresh. Taste is very nice not sweet really..some subdued malts than a nice crisp hop finish. About average on the palate for a lager. Pretty drinkable brew. This is a nice Czech lager/pils..not the best I far prefered Starobrno and even Radegast.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
thehoff (596) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - OCT 27, 2003
I am scared before even opening the beer because of the green bottle. Looks like a pilsner. Smells like I suspected. Always just makes me feel sick simply from the smell. Tastes interesting. Almost floral. Not particularly good at all. This is OK but I need to try one that isn't skunked. It sucks. I'm sure this isn't getting a proper rating but the Czech Republic needs to find some other bottles, as does Germany, and Holland.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kalli (502) - Falun, SWEDEN - OCT 24, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 21, 2004 Ok, I give up, this is a mighty fine pilsner. This one from a green(!) 330ml bottle. Noticed after I bought it that the 500ml bottles are brown... Despite the green bottle I got something pretty good. The colour is perfect, a beautiful, clear gold. Too bad the small initial head disappears despite the visible carbonation. Surprisingly malty for a pilsner but I'd still say it has a fairly good balance. Some sharpness to the aftertaste which I enjoyed except for some hint of a taste I'm not sure how to describe. Finally I understand why this stuff has been so higly rated. I will, uh... continue to taste this. Rerate: And so I did. Got a brown 500ml and I think I'm going to be hooked. Best is, I will be able to guaranty myself relatively fresh bottles of this stuff. Still looks beatiful, but thats the most, and best, smell I've ever noticed of a pilsner. Wonderful fresh hop taste to the finish. Best pilsner I've had since got serious about good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Mungo (2471) - Southampton, Hampshire, ENGLAND - OCT 22, 2003
Pale golden with short-lasting head. Grassy, herbal hop aroma. Sweet malty flavour leading to a bitter finish. Lacking in hop flavours for my tastes. Firm bodied and not over-carbonated. One of the best pilseners.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
gws57 (1274) - Saint Charles, Illinois, USA - OCT 21, 2003
Had this on draught in St. Charles, Illinois. This was nasty, reaffirming once again why I can't stand European Pilsners.