overall
Brewed by Budějovický Budvar
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
České Budějovice, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 2181   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.14/5   IBU: 22   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Czechvar is the special name (editor’s note: for North America) of the world famous beer produced by the renowned brewery in Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic. Benefitting from over 700 years of brewing experience of the South Bohemian region, Czechvar is the golden original, acknowledged by many connoisseurs as one of the best lagers in the world.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ehhdayton (1188) - USA - JUL 30, 2005
A light aroma and a golden color. Has a nice white head. Not overly bitter and has a hint of spice in the flavor. A nice refreshing beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
craigbeerlover (11) - ENGLAND - JUL 30, 2005
Drank in the Latern Pike Inn, Derbyshire. Was wanting Budweiser, as it was a hot day and I needed my thirst quenching, and I was given this. And to my suprise it was lovely, had honey, lemon and orange like notes and very light but alot of flavour for a lager. Easily drinkable, and Its a pity I can’t seem to get more of it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
GiBrew (171) - Fredericton, New Brunswick, CANADA - JUL 22, 2005
Golden yellow (slightly orange) with a very fizzy head that disappears very fast. Aroma is mostly hop and malt with notes of spices. Flavours are very well balanced, just the right amount of hop and malt with a fairly bitter, dry finish. Much better then the "other" Bud....

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
dwyerpg (5366) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JUL 18, 2005
Smells okay for a pils. Not particulary good or bad, which for beers of this style means this is pretty good. Especially when you consider my bottle says I should have drank it by March of this year.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
canary dog (727) - Rutland, Vermont, USA - JUL 15, 2005
A very lively beer. Fresh aroma, crisp taste, hyperactive bubbles hopping all over the place. This beer is smooth but the finish is somewhat flat, as if made with stale water. Not as tasty as Pilsner Urquell-- still the king of pilsners. Not even close.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
donrajin (233) - Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina, USA - JUL 14, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 19, 2008 I had to re-rate this beer. The first time I had it was here in the USA as Czechvar. I wasn’t impressed. Perhaps it was a little old. Well, when I was in Germany I had it as Budvar and it was fresh. Man what a difference. This and Urquell now rank as my favorite Pils. Great taste with a good bite, but without a bad or strong aftertaste. A pilsner fan must try, but try to get it fresth.

Storm (2684) - Amager, DENMARK - JUL 14, 2005
50 cl Bottle. Nice golden colour with a fine head. Good aroma of malt and some hops. Very good taste and fine balance between hops and malt, good finish, some bitterness to the end.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hughie (3996) - Bedford, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - JUL 11, 2005
I don’t know much about lagers, but this was certainly the best I’ve tried. I was particularly struck by the aroma. Delightful sweet taste with a brief, crisp bitter finish. Easy drinking for a warm summer’s day.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Trev (2023) - Lakeville, Minnesota, USA - JUL 10, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 23, 2005 From the bottle: Pours clear golden with bubbly white head that thins fast. I’ve had it dozens of times but this is the first time rating it. Smell of bitter grassy (predom. hay and skunky aroma that seems common to eastern european pils.) Not my favorite style. This is a fine example and much bolder in taste than A-B’s interpretation. Bold malty flavour.clean finish. I prefer a dortmunder overa bohemian pils any day.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
MattShizzle (588) - Bernville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 9, 2005
Pretty good compared to the American Mass Market beers, but doesn’t compare to Pilsner Urquell. Definitely better than the US Budweiser, though.