Brewed by Budějovický Budvar
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
České Budějovice, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 2092   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.15   IBU: 22   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Czechvar is the special name (editor’s note: for North America) of the world famous beer produced by the renowned brewery in Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic. Benefitting from over 700 years of brewing experience of the South Bohemian region, Czechvar is the golden original, acknowledged by many connoisseurs as one of the best lagers in the world.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
KingsHead (32) - Buckinghamshire, ENGLAND - AUG 16, 2004
much better than the wife beater I had on the bar, very refreshing, clean taste, however I cant seem to get a long stay head, will be asking for help from Budvar about this

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
envane (568) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 15, 2004
Had this in Czechia a while back, but am rating the bottled version. Rather dry with herbal hops. Very refined and delicate.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
thegreenrooster (3603) - St.louis, Missouri, USA - AUG 14, 2004
Pours a nice yellow with a fizzzy short lasting head. Aroma is very skunky. Flavor is a hoppy citrus mix and very bitter at the end. Probably a little more flavor than a Pilsner Urquell. Not a bad over all brew once you get past the skunkyness and much better than that other beer that shares the same name.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
brewshthereen (316) - Oregon, USA - AUG 9, 2004
Slightly skunky, wet paper aroma. Somewhat crisp, light malt flavor. Not as sharp as I was hoping and seemed tired. However, I can tell that this is a quality brew and I bet it’s awesome sampled at the brewery. It just doesn’t import well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mullet (849) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - AUG 8, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 27, 2005 How exciting - a load of Budvar at my local bottleshop with a June 05 BB date! This is only the second time I’ve seen this beer in Australia (in the green 330mL bottles this time.) The first bottle I had was like a bottle of vegetable soup - really weird. The second bottle was better, but still not as good as I recall it being the first time I had it. Light diacetyl in aroma with barely any hop character to be found and some of that nice uncooked spaghetti smell that some Euro pils seem to have. Flavour is lightly malty (far less malty than PU in the bottle) with more spaghetti flavour and a pretty light bitterness. I’ve still got a few more bottles to drink but at the moment it’s just a fairly standard (but nice enough) European lager. I swear it was better than this...
Re-rate: This just isn’t doing it for me. Smells like boiled vegetables and cider, is really sweet with quite a strong hop flavour but no real bitterness. Disappointing. Oh yeah it had a faint funk that kinda reminded me of Robinson’s Chilli Beer too. 2.7
Re-rate: OK, this beer still sucks out of the bottle in Aus, but it’s good stuff in the Czech Rep. In fact I preferred the bottled stuff to even the unfiltered version they sell at the brewery restaurant (though not to the stuff straight from the lager vessels). The malt character is really beautiful, just pure Pilsner malt goodness. Hops are there but certainly not to the extent of PU etc. Didn’t take notes but I just can’t let my old rating remain.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
lytzenhoff (27) - Fuen, DENMARK - AUG 8, 2004
It was a pleasure to, at last, taste the Budvar. Which is a part of the new danish ’trend’, of buying imported specialities (at a triple price). Good, but not really that good. Nice yellow color, and nice hoppy after-taste..

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - AUG 6, 2004
Yellow and fizzy...skunky and hoppy aroma...tasted like Budweiser but skunkier and a little bitter...hmmm...go figure...

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
edden (925) - cow- lumbus, Ohio, USA - AUG 4, 2004
4/22/04: Bottle.
Heavily hopped nose and very skunky. Yellow bodied. Typical pils characteristics- hops with a slight lemon flavor. I had this beer several years ago, while living in Germany. It seemed to taste better then. (Maybe it does not travel well).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Palidor19 (3083) - Brandon, Florida, USA - AUG 4, 2004
Supeior to the american namesake, but their is no suprises to the beer drinkers of the world, a straight-forward pilsner. Must try at least, enjoy it in the summer

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mongkut4 (132) - Florida, USA - AUG 2, 2004
I have always wanted to try the "real" Bud, having despised the American version ever since my first sip. What I found is a very drinkable beer. Sort of a weaker flavored Pilsner Urquell. As I’m more of a malt man than a fan of lagers I would run out to buy a case, but I also wouldn’t be unhappy to see it on the menu.