overall

RATINGS: 886   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.89/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Since its inception in 1985, America’s Original Pumpkin Ale has become a Fall tradition. Much of Buffalo Bill’s acclaim originates from this beloved autumn brew. Made with real pumpkin and spices, it has a golden amber color, and the sweet aroma of warm pumpkin pie, 6% ABV.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
ziel (76) - Massachusetts, USA - NOV 23, 2013
Hands down my favorite pumpkin ale. There was a several year stretcth were I couldn’t get this. Glad its back.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
sfhc21 (74) - Midlothian, Texas, USA - MAR 13, 2007
For some reason, this is one of my favorites. It’s one of those beers that goes perfect on a Sunday afternoon on a crisp, sunny fall day. Full of cinnamon, clove and pumpkin spices. Delicious.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
missing (72) - Wichita, Kansas, USA - OCT 16, 2006
Aroma of pumpkin spices with a slight yeastiness. Body is a bit watery with a strong spice finish. Flavor is thin with a slight cinnamon bite and a lack of any discernable pumpkin.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
ELPADRINO (70) - The Woodlands, Texas, USA - NOV 1, 2005
Pours a light amber with 1/4 inch head. Head quickly disperses. Aroma is pumpkin, nutmeg, allspice, and toothpaste... yes, toothpaste. Taste is heavy on the pumpkin and nutmeg. Aftertaste mixes pumpkin and hops. Body is watery, but with the heavy pumpkin taste, I don’t think I could handle a full bodied version. Overall, this beer isn’t for me. I wanted to try this seasonal brew for a different taste experience, and that’s exactly what I got. Unfortunately, this is the first beer I’ve tasted in a long time that I really haven’t liked at all. The beer itself isn’t brewed poorly; my personal preference is just in a different direction. It’s always fun to try something new, though!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
JW32Hoops (70) - San Francisco, California, USA - SEP 27, 2011
First rating in like a year, its good to be back. Anyhoo I know I should go all Beer Snob and hate on this cuz its Pyramid, but no dice...I dig it. Aroma reminded me of Ben n Jerrys Oatmeal ice cream mixed with pumpkin, which needless to say is pretty bomb. It grabs your palate firmly but not like its trying to prove anything...much in the way I imagine Alec Baldwin shakes hands. This beer is like college one-night stands: not pretty but still makes me happy and I want like 20 of em...which I can do since this bitch is only 5.2%. Maybe I’m a sucker for diggin Pyramid (I like Purple Haze too) but tis the season for some friggin pumpkin ale and I can knock these back all night and have a good time doin it. Sure its no PumpKing, but what is?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
IneedAbuheer (69) - Ingleside, Illinois, USA - OCT 31, 2002
Quite spicy with a good malty consistency. Unfortunately, it’s overly spicy with a lack of good pumpkin flavor. A decent, drinkable pumpkin beer, but would have like much more of a pumpkin flavor.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
MarkR (68) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 30, 2003
Bottle Clear, pale copper with a hint of orange. Fluffy light tan head with good retention. Aroma is dominated by the heavy-handed use of spices, as well a hint of pumpkin meat. Ginger, nutmeg, and lots of cinnamon. The malt base underneath it all is hardly noticeable. Flavor starts out with a twinge of sweet malt, then quickly shifts towards the spices. There’s a harsh hotness that is brought on by the overuse of cinnamon. I believe taking the spice and pumpkin out would leave a very bland and dull beer. Thin in body, with a rough astringency on the finish from the spices. The novelty has worn off quickly, and I’m tired of this…

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JustinBennett (67) - junction city, Kansas, USA - MAR 24, 2008
bottle. poured a copper orange, strong smell of pumpkin ad cloves. strog pumokinn taste. great finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
gfolivares (67) - McAllen, Texas, USA - MAY 12, 2008
Pours an orange/copper color with thin head. Very aromatic with dusty, earthy notes of nutmeg, cinnamon, and pumkin spice. Medium bodied with desent carbonation. Very pungent taste, with suggestions of pumpkin pie/bread with a heavy hand of nutmeg, allspice, cloves, and cinnamon. Long, lingering taste of clove, nutmeg, and, of course, pumpkin. Taste was a bit unbalanced, the spice notes drowned everything else out a bit too much. Try with pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, or spiced christmas pudding.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Zaprozdower (66) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - SEP 19, 2009
Having a pumpkin ale sampler day. This example did not impress. Mouthfeel is nice and creamy but flavor and aroma were subtle and not what I want from this style. Slightly astringent and a strange aftertaste.