overall

RATINGS: 868   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.88   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
An amber style ale, originally brewed by George Washington, brewed with fresh roasted pumpkins, malted barley. Cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg are added. Bottled form is brewed under contract by Portland Brewing Co.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jbelkin (5) - USA - MAR 27, 2007 does not count
Itís funny how when I see it in the stores, it just starts to feel like autumn and when I crack it open, it immediately makes it autumn and takes me back to my college days. I hope my wife doesnít read this review but you know how something just evokes a thousand memories - of crossing the San Mateo bridge in my old top down Jeep to see my girlfriend at CSU Hayward (oh, sorry - CSU East Bay now). I can taste the salt air from the marshes and then picking up at her place behind the school, nestled in woods like itís Truckee or something. While Hayward was all 1960ís strip mall falling apart, there was that one cozy place - Buffalo Billís - great fresh beer of every kind - stout, pale ale but pumpkin was always worth waiting for. It was like if we could down a few more, we could hold off winter - and then of course, we moved on - she got a great job offer back East and then Germany - she still emails me asking if I still go to Buffalo Billís - I do but donít hate me, I never take the wife, I just go with my buddies and pumpkin ale takes me back - they got a great clean tasting and unique flavor down - Iíve tried others but itís no pumpkin ale from Buffalo Billís.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Murph06 (121) - Illinois, USA - JAN 4, 2002
This IS a pumpkin ale. The only thing I found abit lacking was pumpkin flavor---but I LOVE the pie. Spices are perfect. A great fall brew!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheBeerLover (1025) - DC Metro Area, USA - JAN 27, 2006
Pumpkin Ale pours to a bright, slightly murky orange color, with a white head that fades, and a moderate amount of carbonation. The nose on this beer is fantastic, with aromas of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and "gordy" pumpkin aroma. The palate is firm, with good flavors of pale malt, paired with squashy, pumpkin flavors. Pumpkin Ale finishes with more malty and pumpkin flavors, then ends with a very pleasing, slightly sweet, cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove finish, that lingers on the tongue. This is an outstanding pumpkin ale. It might have changed breweries again, but it has always remained a very tasty beer, that features both "gordy"/squashy pumpkin flavors, along with the traditional pumpkin pie in a glass/spice flavors. In that regard, Pumpkin Ale has been a constant, and brings back fond memories to this beer lover. This beer is a fantastic desert beer, that can be matched with a slice of pumpkin pie and a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. If you see this beer in your market, seek it out, you canít miss it in bottles. It has a very distinctive black label, with a bright orange pumpkin growing out of a leafy patch. This beer is a Fall seasonal release but it usually hangs around to just around this time of year, and usually goes on sale, making a nice beer to enjoy in the winter as well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jerseyjohn71 (202) - corsicana, Texas, USA - NOV 25, 2012
i love to put some in the freezer for 20+ min and get-em slushy, i can not find them in TX, but they may be here,

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Bov (9755) - Bienne, SWITZERLAND - DEC 4, 2000
honey colour, cinnamon and fine pumpkin aroma, spicy - very pleasant

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
khayman70 (154) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - NOV 3, 2002
A very nice spiced ale. I have had both this and New Hollandís Ichabod and prefer this. The flavors blended nicely and this beer goes extremely well with cake donuts. I look forward to this beer every fall.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
MMM...Beer (385) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - NOV 13, 2002
Wow, this was absolutely excellent. Iím a big pumpkin pie fan so this baby measured up just right. At first I was a little concernced that it would be too sweet, but that wasnít the case at all. This beer had a wonderful blend of pumpkin and spice, a great mouthfeel and a beautiful color. This was my first pumpkin ale but definitely not my last. Great job Bill!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beaconstreet (811) - Washington DC, USA - SEP 17, 2004
This is the most like a pumpkin pie of any beer Iíve had this season. Rich spicy texture that makes you smile as it goes down. Possibly my favorite pumpkin yet--holding out for Boston Beer Works, though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
jeter2273 (1) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - SEP 25, 2004 does not count
I just simply love this ale. Itís flavor is remarkable to me, someone who canít get enough pumpkin pie around the holidays.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Orion1800 (51) - Piedmont, California, USA - OCT 16, 2007
A fairly thin beer, but intriguing pumpkin flavor. Also hints of winter time spices. Overall well balanced, with no overpowering flavors. Enjoyable but could be more.