overall

RATINGS: 868   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.88   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
An amber style ale, originally brewed by George Washington, brewed with fresh roasted pumpkins, malted barley. Cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg are added. Bottled form is brewed under contract by Portland Brewing Co.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
Sammer (1053) - Plano, Texas, USA - FEB 27, 2010
Hazy, yellow - orange pour from bottle. Cinnamon and nutmeg on the nose. Watery taste of harvest spices and fruit, but not much pumpkin itself. Liked the smell, but not much else.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
SSSteve (3830) - - SEP 18, 2010
12oz bottle. clear orange pour with a small white head. gelatinous texture with a light body. typical pumpkin and spice aroma. flavor is a bit corny and grainy. some pumpkin and spice in there but nothing interesting.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
SmellGood (339) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - SEP 23, 2005
Little to no head when poured. I tried to like it since it was my first spice/herb/vegetable beer but it was just too painful.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
chimpscampee (566) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 7, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 11, 2007 Smell and taste of pumkin pie without the sweetness, thank goodness. Too much spice and clove form me. A style I appear not to like but this may be good example.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
bp (810) - Queens, New York, USA - SEP 20, 2007
Bottle: pours a cloudy, light orange color, aroma of pumpkin which is kinda rare for the pumpkin beers I’ve tried so far since they are usually loaded with some other spice that overpowers everything esle, also has some weaker spice aroma, it actually reminds me a lot of the smell of my grandma’s pumpkin pie, taste is a big letdown, it is watery and thin and and somewhat citrusy. Not worth buying ever again.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
polomagnifico (1202) - Saginaw, Michigan, USA - SEP 26, 2007
bottle. Aroma is very spicy with clove and pumpkin. Average sized fizzy head that fully diminished. Starkly pale amber hue. Flavor is weak but some clove and spicy pumpkin is there. Palate is lively and watery. This beer just plain sucks. I hope I never have to drink this again, buffalo bill you’re a dick.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
waolsen (1360) - Littleton, Colorado, USA - OCT 6, 2007
bottle. golden/copper pour with thin head. wheat, lemon, pumpkin, mild spice aroma. sour, tart, weak and fizzy. my drain enjoyed it more than i did.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
nickd717 (3569) - San Francisco, California, USA - OCT 17, 2009
Bottle from Whole Foods, poured into pint glass. Tried it out of morbid curiosity after my friend from PA told me it was "just as good" as Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin, which I had shared with him earlier. After drinking this, I do not see any way that he could think that. It is god-awful. Figured I had to try it though since I live about 15 miles from the brewery. Hazy orange color with a sizzling white head that sounds like the steaming fajitas plate from a Mexican restaurant as it violently fizzles down to absolutely nothing. Decent pumpkin spice aroma as well as apple juice. Not much to it, but not terribly offensive. Very strange flavor. A little artificial-tasting pumpkin spice and some apple juice. Finish is almost like a wild ale, with a strange tartness, almost bretty. Palate is watery and weak, with a harsh astringency. This is terrible. I actually had this at my uncle’s place a few years ago and thought it was pretty good. Wow, how my palate has changed. I don’t know, maybe this was meant to be drank out of the bottle for some reason. Smelled better out of the bottle than the glass, and it would actually be a good thing to lighten the flavor of this mess of a beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
popery (1455) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAR 29, 2010
The beer was bitter and fizzy. Its pumpkin flavor was off-putting, and by that, I mean mildly nauseating. The beer looks bad. It looks fizzy, like a bad macro. There’s nearly zero head. The smell was by far the best part for me. It smells of pumpkin and nutmeg and whatever other spices are in pumpkin pie. The nose promises a piece of pumpkin pie wonderfully distilled into a beer. The flavor kicked that notion in the teeth. It definitely tastes like pumpkin and pie spice but in the worst way I can imagine. Much too sweet but also bitter and watery. The pumpkin flavor is off, very off. It’s a bit like they added a pumpkin pie flavored sucker to a bottle of bad beer. Where it smelled fresh and pumpkiny, it tastes artificial and sugary. Feel is watery and fizzy.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
adnielsen (9460) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - OCT 16, 2010
Tasted from a 12 ounce bottle purchased in Denver, Colorado. Orange appearance like a Belgian Ale. Citrus-y, weirdly spiced beer. Not a good Pumpkin beer.