Bull City Harvest 2012
     click to upload

Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 4   MEAN: 3.78/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.15   ABV: -
Our Harvest Ale 2012 is the beer that almost wasn’t. Each year in June, or in this case our second year, we pre-order fresh harvest wet hops from Oregon for the fall. The hops are overnighted to us and highly perishable requiring use within one or two days at best. Never knowing exactly when they will arrive, the alpha acid levels or what they will taste like, we brew completely “blind” and go for an all out, high gravity (high alcohol) recipe which changes each year. This year we were stumped when the Amarillo hops were due to arrive at 10:30 AM and then lost on a truck somewhere in the Triangle. The beer sat in the kettle at 200o F for over 6 hours while we held a vigil, chanted, prayed to the beer gods and repeatedly checked its tracking status. At around 6 PM the hops magically arrived and we quickly started up the boil only to finish the brew at around 10 PM. Certainly this beer will never be duplicated, no would we ever try to brew a single beer over 16 hours, but in the end the beer turned out great and we are all happy, hoppy and toasting another batch of Harvest Ale. With dark brown caramelized sugars and a vibrant hoppy high alcohol nose, this elixir is magic and should be consumed in moderation. We serve this in a tulip glass. Sorry, no towers, growlers or pitchers. Hops Used: Fresh harvest, wet hop Simcoe, Amarillo and Citra

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - DEC 23, 2012
On tap at BCBB. Amber brown pour, moderately carbonated, with a slick-looking body to it. Nose is big and floral, with Simcoe coming through strongly for a wet hop vibe. Detectable malts in the nose, and these come through more in the flavors, revealing a strong caramel base that’s complemented by the flowery Simcoe and, to a lesser extent, the Citra bite. Good hoppy strong ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
maxwelldeux (3790) - Everett, Washington, USA - OCT 7, 2012
Draught in a flight at the brewpub. My favorite one they had available my first trip there. Poured a dark brown with a moderate to thick head on it. A little bit spicy from the malts, yet extremely inviting. It was much smoother than expected, and made for a great drink. I liked it so much I ordered a full pint after the flight.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
emacgee (4136) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - OCT 5, 2012
Murky mahogany brown with two fingers of creamy tan head. Nose is fuckin’ awesome, intense raw citrus and resin. Some light brown sugar. Very delicate and fresh hop aroma that intermingles well with the malty component. Super interesting flavor, the malt flavor is very intriguing from the extended boil. I guess it’s the intense kettle caramelization that I am tasting. Kind of like cacao and light brown sugar, very clean with a low bite and interesting toffee character. Round medium body. Delicious accident!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
TURDFERGUSON (3969) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - OCT 4, 2012
Tap at BCBB. Pours super cloudy brownish red with a lasting tannish lace. Nose is nice and fairly balanced-- citrus, tropical fruits, grass, light pine resin with some lighter brown sugar malt. Flavor is a bit more malty and boozy, and makes the hops a little more muddled and hidden within the depths of malt, yeast, and alcohol. Still drinkable and fuller flavored than some of the other pale ale/IPA offerings I have had here. The best beer Ive had at BCBB so far. I really enjoy going to Bull City. The beers range from just okay to something pintworthy but I love that they are always brewing new recipes and willing to experiment. And they don’t take themselves to seriously. Usually prompt friendly service. Durham is really growing on me. Not Dook though. Fuck them.