overall

RATINGS: 184   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83   IBU: 55   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Caldera’s "Mogli" was inspired by the loss of a dear friend. This is a chocolate, bourbon, oak-aged Imperial Porter. Mogli is complex, sweet, chocolatey, big and full of unconditional love! Sure to warm your heart. Served in a 10 ounce wine glass. Malts: Premium Two Row, Crystal, Munich, Brown, Pale Chocolate, Chocolate, Dark Belgian Candi Sugar, Natural Chocolate, Bourbon-Soaked Oak Spirals; Hops: Galena, Willamette; ABV: 8.5%, IBU: 55, SRM: 55.0

DCJack (181) - Alabama, USA - JUL 28, 2010
I was visiting Portland Oregon for the first time in 24 years. I stayed at the Kennedy School McMenamin’s Brewpub after reading the praiseworthy reviews. The hotel was nice, but a little dead after 10pm. It was nice to sample not only their beers (which were just OK) but also their whiskeys, which I enjoyed more. So after I wrote my review, I noticed another highly rated pub just a block away, Concordia Ale House. While my girlfriend slept, I walked over and it was equally dead. I guess Portlanders turn in early. I ordered a Raven’s Eye IMperial Stout and after pouring about 4 ounces, the bartender said I had "killed the keg", i.e. it was empty. He gave the the 4 oz pour while he went to load the next keg of a new beer, Caldera Mogli Stout. Unbeknownst to me, the Oregon Brewer’s Festival was starting the next day and this Mogli Stout was a featured introduction. Its not even listed on Caldera’s website, although it is mentioned in the publicity for the Festival. This was the most amazing beer I have ever tried. I didn’t realize I was going to be the first to review it on ratebeer. I also didn’t realize that I might have been the first one to ever try it on tap in a bar. It was silky smooth in a way no other beer has ever been. I would say velvety, but it is even smoother than velvet. The aroma itself sent shivers of delight up my neck. It was chocolaty, cherry, tobacco, and bliss. If I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, this would be it.

beergirl2010 (3) - Oregon, USA - DEC 7, 2010 does not count
This is the most amazing beer I have ever tasted in my life.... It is an imperial porter made with a lot of love.. If you visit the Ashland pub they will share the story behind the beer....

wjordan (4) - Spartanburg, South Carolina, USA - MAY 15, 2014 does not count
This is an awesome, chocolate Porter. Tasting this is sublime and not to be missed. Savor every drop because when it’s gone you might cry!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
volbeerman (20) - Madison, Tennessee, USA - NOV 21, 2012
As a fan of porters, stouts, and all the like. This is something special. A scent of rich dark chocolate, which is not let down by the deliciously rich chocolatey flavor of this beer. Pours dark, and relatively thin compared to stouts. This imperial porter is as smooth as it gets people.... A deliciously rich experience. The price of this beer is a bit off-putting, but I’m going to be the first to tell you (I paid 18 bucks for this beer) IT IS WORTH THE PRICE!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Beachmaster (145) - Oklahoma, USA - SEP 3, 2014
Bomber into a pint glass. Pours a very dark brown, almost black. Medium tan head which quickly fades, leaving fair lacing. Nose is chocolate and dark malt. Taste follows the nose, with an unexpected sweetness. Tast is rich, complex, and matures as the beer warms. Mouth feel is creamy, but the finish is short, and leaves you wanting more. Delicious.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
maxwelldeux (3688) - Everett, Washington, USA - DEC 14, 2012
Bottle. Pours an extremely dark brown with a moderate tan head. Nose has some slight roasting and a lot of chocolate in there. Taste has a fair amount of chocolate in there, but manages not to be sweet. Awesome.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
krumbum (522) - truckee, California, USA - JUN 30, 2014
Dark glowing brown but unable to be seen through. Huge choco-nut aromas. Big in your face melted dark rich chocolate with a bourbon malt back. Smooth bittersweet richness.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
wavers1 (907) - Notown, California, USA - AUG 12, 2011
bottle courtesy of wedgie9, thanks a ton! pours a nice brown with a decent tan head, not much lacing or spotting, but a nice pour. the aroma is just fantastic, tons of bitter and sweet chocolate, with a touch of the barrel. the taste is simlar, and the choclate and berrel meld together seemlessly like one addition to this beer. very unique and distinct the specific flavor profile achieved in this one. the body is medium, but it oiily and has a good carb and lingering aftertaste of tons of chocolate. the chocolate in this beer is comparable to good batches of brooklyn bcs, st choklat, etc. tewrrific stuff, i really need more of this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
corkitad (19) - Oregon, USA - OCT 19, 2010
Stopped in Ashland, Oregon to check out Caldera’s brewery and this was on tap. I immeadiately went for it instead of dry hop orange which is a great summer beer(it was over 100 out). Saw that this was a special release in honor of Mogli, a black lab who passed on, that was very important to some one @ Caldera. Needless to say i was very impressed. Very creamy with lots of chocolate, cherry, and coffee notes. I hope they make this a special release! Amazing

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
micieli6000 (27) - New York, USA - MAY 27, 2014
One of my favorite beers. Without a doubt the best chocolate stout I’ve had. Has a distinct chocolate taste. Almost like Coco Puffs. Delicious