overall

RATINGS: 86   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
The Brewer’s special blend of four unique malts including chocolate & carmel malt. A light taste of coffee with a sweet finish makes this one of our best selling beers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 27, 2003
Oh heck yeah. This dark beer had a nice malty smell and a complex malty taste. My tasting notes on this one are dominated by the word "WOW!". Loved this beer.

Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - MAY 31, 2003
Very nice dark color,malty as hell aroma,chocolatey,with some faint hints of licorice in it as well.The flavor was much the same as the aroma but much better and well worth the the trip to sconie via Minneapolis.it does have a light feel in the mouth but that doesn't hurt this brew.It just makes it even more highly drinkable IMO.Makes me wish i lived "Not" but it's worth the trip and i will definately be doing this again in the future.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Terminus (3214) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - APR 28, 2003
ya know, im gonna go against the grain on this one. even though this is a definately respectable dunkel, i dont think its worth the huge ratings. The aroma was not good at all!! i actually was kinda disgusted as I drank it. the palate was a bit thin. flavor was coffee, spicy hops and burnt embers. nonetheless, i had to go to Chilton to see what the buzz was about. I was very shocked to see this place-its basically an old bar turned into a small brewery that is family owned.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Joebeer (8) - USA - APR 26, 2003 does not count
I'm lucky...I'm less than 30 min. from this brew and it's well worth the drive. I have an entire corny keg chilling in the fridge!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - APR 2, 2003
Like Dogbrick said, our taste of this was shipped after it was bottled from someone’s growler, so I think it would probably receive higher marks if we had it fresh. Dark pour with a thin head, tasted a little flat, but chocolate and malt flavors still stood out.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - MAR 9, 2003
I wondered about the hype, came, saw...totally indulged. And am kicking myself for not bringing back a growler of this beautiful brew. Silky, smooth, fairly sweet and a bit burnt...just a slight bittery edge. Lovely!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
pivo (2542) - GERMANY - FEB 15, 2003
Overall a nice complex and well balanced beer. Thanks Captain Cougar! Raisons and chocolatey tones. Very sweet, syrupy and honey like. Toasted grain flavors as well. Woody finish and a little spicey. Warm round mouthfeel and heavy body.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
YogiBeera (2435) - Hamburg, GERMANY - FEB 10, 2003
Wonderful nose. Chocolate, caramel and toasted raisons. Little layer of a head. Soft carbonation. color is mahagony like. Toasted and coffeebean, chocolate taste. Could be thicker. Light bitter kick, alcohol stays pleasantly behind. Complex - hard to drink, harder to rate, as this brew might have suffered from the transport. I really wanna try it on tap. Thanks so much CaptainCougar!!!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
JohnC (3000) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - FEB 9, 2003
I'll join the "Thanks CaptainCougar" parade. A Very light-bodied brew w/ a thin, watery mouth feel. It's certainly could be guzzled, but it doesn't have anything that grabs you. Also, it has very little carbonation. It starts off slightly sweet & has a mild, simple finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - FEB 6, 2003
This tastes a lot like Newcastle. In a blind tasting, I'd guess it to be Newcastle. But I like Newcastle. If I lived in Calumet, I could see myself drinking a lot of this. Many thanks to Captain Cougar for the hard to get brew!