Calumet Rye
     click to upload
overall
Serve in Shaker, Tumbler

RATINGS: 25   MEAN: 3.3/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19   SEASONAL: Summer   ABV: -
This beer was first introduced in May 1993 at our "Annual Beer Fest." It was the first commercial Rye beer sold in Wisconsin. The recipe was developed in conjunction with the head maltster, Roger Nelson, of Briess Malting Co. in Chilton. A smooth flavored beer with a hint of Rye.

Blatz King's rating

Blatz King (150) - Whitewater, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 23, 2004
I went to my home town the other night and there was noone out that I knew. So instead of hanging with the hicks in Cheers I got the idea to hit up my good friend Bob Rowland for a couple of brews, since he was the only person in any of the bars in chilton that I actually new. I was trying various beers and asked Bob which one I should try and he smiled and said, "Rye." I was like, " Wow Bob your a poet, way to go!" Well once I got my beer I drank it and it was good. It was amberish in color and clear. Very tasty. I would recommend to everyone to try this beer and hangout with Bob. Bob wanted me to try some of his other beers, but I was kind of getting tipsy, so I said, "No Bob, It's Ok, I will be back later. I don't want to drive too drunk tonight." I hate Chilton hicks, especially all the old ones who hang out at cheers and drink shitty bud light. Well I guess it's like I always say, "I would rather drink good beer than hang out with stupid hicks who drink bud light at Cheers."

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
BVery (5969) - Burnsville, Minnesota, USA - SEP 3, 2011
Tap at the brewpub. Light orange pour wiht a small white head. Faint rye aroma. Smooth mouthfeel with noticeable carbonation. Great rye flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
deyholla (6503) - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA - AUG 26, 2011
On tap at the brewpub. Pours a clear golden orange with a near white head that dissipates to the edges. Aroma has notes of light fruit, rye and a backing sweet bread note. Flavor has notes of sweet grains and light fruit that are cut by a bit of a rye finish.

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
nuplastikk (4295) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 30, 2011
Draft at Calumet. Hazy orange-tan, thin white head. Another horrible, way below par offering from Calumet. While the rye sort of works with the disgusting off flavors, this beer is still terrible.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
esjaygee (3903) - Oak Creek, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 14, 2011
On tap at Rowlands Calumet Brewery. Hazy amber with a thin white topper. Aroma of malt and rye with mild breadiness and a faint hop characteristic. Taste of rye, malt and lemon with a dry finish. One of the better options here.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Scubatrip (596) - Annandale, Virginia, USA - AUG 30, 2010
On tap at the brewpub, pours a clear pale orange-red with no head. Sweet malty honey nose and taste, with a lightly bitter finish. A fine beer to have with bar food.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
phishpond417 (2088) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 19, 2008
Pours a dark clear amber with a soft floral aroma. Hint of honey, aroma of lightly roasted nuts and ginger. Taste is initally dry but tapers off to a sweet rich malted finish

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
kp (10886) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - SEP 1, 2007
Date: 06/24/2007
Mode: Draft
Source: Brewpub

hazy amber, fine white head, slightly sweet munich malt aroma, light malt flavor, touch of sweetness is quickly followed by the dry rye character,

Aroma: 5/10; Appearance: 6/10; Flavor: 6/10; Palate: 6/10; Overall: 10/20
Rating: 2.7/5.0
Drinkability: 7/10
Score: *4

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 24, 2007
Copper color with a smaller off white head. Aromas of dark caramel and lightly yeasty dough. Light darker malt flavors with light caramel and a hint of wild honey. Not strong in the rye department as the feel and light spicy rye bite were not in the forefront. Again a very easy drinking brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Skyview (5154) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - APR 17, 2007
Fourth stop during Wisconsin Trip #2 and one of 11 brews offered at this small town brewpub at any time. This brew pours a coppery brown color with an off-white small head. Nice lacing after the head retraction. Aromas include nutty bready, roasted grain and plenty of sweet pine. A very hoppy charged rye brew per se. At the palate some secondary tastes include bubblegum, and candy sugar. Very smooth and silky finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Kevin (2056) - New Mexico, USA - MAY 2, 2006
copper pour. sweet nose of candy. nice sweet flavor that lingers. toffee flavor and sweet rye. bubble gum note in the finish. a nice brew.