overall
Brewed by Cantillon
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 738   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.94   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A new brew concocted by Jean Van Roy to celebrate the 2003-2004 Division III title for the local Union St. Gilles football team and its upgrade to Division II.

Cuvee des Champions is not a traditional ’gueuze,’ in that it is made from only two year-old 2001 lambic, not from a blend of older and younger lambics. It is also dry-hopped in the cask for three weeks with fresh Styrian Goldings hops. Re-fermentation in the bottle is achieved with the addition of a small amount of candi sugar.

Editor’s Note: Cuvée Saint-Gilloise is dry-hopped with Hallertau and is merged with this listing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
CapFlu (4501) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 26, 2006
(750ml bottle) Cloudy hefe coloured. Strong tartedness with sour cranapple tones. I have a real tough time with gueuze... I definitely like the nose more than the flavour.

Oakes (12398) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 25, 2006
Lemon, leather, wood, cork, bamboo, lots of manure...driving through farm country. Tart, corky, apple skin notes, hints of leather. Good gueuze, fairly approachable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bluevegie (3052) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - SEP 9, 2006
Tried at Weekend of Spontaneous Fermentation 27/05/06. Dull straw colour with a smoother taste than all the others tried, balanced, pear and apple in the taste then grapefruit.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jukkabro (3484) - Tampere, FINLAND - SEP 4, 2006
(As Cantillon Olutravintola Pikkulintu). Dark yellow color, little white head. Sourness, dryness, fine hops and mild apple in aroma. Medium bodied. Little bit of strange to find some hops here, but I think they fit here well. Dryness is strong with bitter fruits, aftertaste has hops with dry touch.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
ross (2080) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - SEP 3, 2006
Bottle from Brandon (notalush) Thanks! So I was at the store, and I needed to spend 40 dollars to be eligible for this prize you win at the end of 16 weeks of spending 40 dollars or more once per week. This was the last week, so since I was there I picked up a wedge of maytag and it was about 7 bucks. Since I had good cheese, I decided I would drink a gueuze with it because I have yet to experience that pairing because the places to eat around here that have good cheese only serve shit ass beer like heineken and budweiser. Beer is brown with a thick white head. Smell is some hops, oak, lemons, and musty. Taste is fantastic, smooth, sour, lively, and wood. Reminds me of Girardin with a little less carbonation. A really good gueuze, and after having that cheese with this, I am not sure there is any better way to drink a lambic. This was the perfect pairing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
jeffin7 (612) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - AUG 30, 2006
Pours a slightly orangish tan with a small head that fades and an active effervescents. Aroma is of sour peach, pear, slight sweet hay, slight berry. Flavor is of a nice full tartness but not so much as to make the eyes water. Lemon, sweet tarts (mix of sweet and chalkiness), pear, a sweet back bone to balance the sourness. Very nice balance of full tartness and sweetness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - AUG 16, 2006
Sampled at RBSG 2006- Grand Tasting. Hmmm. A wild yeast beer. I wish I could love these more. I feel like a dumbass for not connecting with beers like these. The aroma is like the toilet when you forget to flush and come back a day later. Incredibly acrid. You can pick out flavors of floor varnish and orange juice. I’d say this is at least 500 mM HCl. Someday, when I grow up, I’d like to be able to appreciate this style. Until then, ignore my rating.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Fantomas23 (463) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 5, 2006
Served as Derniere Cuvée 89 at Le Bier Circus. Finally, I got some mussels to eat with my gueuze. The one was refreshingly dry with a well-presented bitter finish. I was not disappointed…by either the beer or how well it paired with the mussels.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jasonp (1555) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - AUG 3, 2006
RBSG 2006, Grand Tasting. Slightly murky copper with a white head. Brett/barnyard and tartness in the aroma. Extremely tart and citric with notes of lemon, vinegar and horseblanket/hay. Highly attenuated, dry, spritzy mouthfeel. Quality stuff, but not my favorite style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUL 31, 2006
Pour is hazy yellow with a thin white head...smell is funky and citric...taste is not overpowering tart, and slightly thin I think...delicious for sure though.