Cantillon Don Quijote

overall
Formerly brewed at Cantillon
Style: Lambic Style - Fruit
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 93   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.25   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A fruit lambic brewed with Italian grapes similar to Concord grapes or Fox grapes (Vitis Labrusca) exclusively for Goblin Pub and Livingstone Club - Florence - Italy.

DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 5, 2011
The best smelling beer on the planet. Takes me back to those concord grape pies they make in naples, ny and adds an orgasm and ass fingering to the mix.super sour and grapey and lots of funk underneath just like the funk Iíve got underneath. Purpley white pour, opaque..inviting. brisk sourness painted with the most vivid grape flavors known to man..simply orgasmic in all was...I could drink this nonstop for the rest of my life. Seriously, this beer is what I have been searching for my entire life. Perfection.

dionysus (1448) - Arizona, USA - MAR 25, 2011
Bottle generously shared by BOLTZ7555 during AZRBWG. Pour is murky pomegranate/pink with a white head. Aroma is amazing with great fruit acidity mingling with some awesome funk. Notes of cherry, lemon, grape, oak, and vinegar encompassed by one of the most intriguing funks my nose has ever had the pleasure of smelling. Flavor shows the same. This is the type of beer that I didnít want to drink, I just wanted to go in the corner and make love to it. Thanks BOLTZ!

BOLTZ7555 (2799) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - MAR 26, 2011
UPDATED: NOV 13, 2011 Bottle acquired via trade with daknole and shared @ RBWG...Dak you ROCK!!! Honestly, I love sours but have never seen/appreciated the wizardry of Cantillon. All prior brews were so jaw-locking that I didnít really enjoy them. This one has made me reconsider and has opened my eyes to what this brewery can do. Popped the cork on this one and immediately noticed the fragrant aroma. I was awe-struck...this is the best smelling sour I have ever had the pleasure of inhaling. Incredible grape, tart cherry skin, lemon pith, and balsamic vinegar make their way to the nose. Extremely bright fruit presence, minimal funk in the aroma. Visually, this one was watermelon in color with a nice wispy white head. Solid carbonation. Beautiful. Flavor is vastly different that the aroma (and reading the ratings, it appears that everyoneís perception was skewed based on where in the bottle you got a sample). Tons of funk, horse blanket, and lemon Jolly Rancher accompany raspberry, grape, and wild cherry. Extremely acidic. Could drink this all day, every day. Truly incredible!!! BUMP!!!

Dunt (285) - Illinois, USA - JUN 23, 2012
Been waiting a long time for this day. My biggest personal whale for as long as I can remember. Pours a cloudy pinkish brownish red...kinda resembles a grapefruit in color actually. Small white head of tight, white bubbles. Nose is explosive fruit, specifically a mix of welchís grapes and grapefruit. I donít know where people were getting the shit/dirty diaper notes on this before, I think this smells amazing. Doesnít have as much of the Cantillon funk I expected. Flavor is incredibly tart, there is still a good amount of grape present, but Iíve been told its faded quite a bit since the last bottle the group had opened. There is some light lemon, but again, a lot less than a typical Cantillon offering. Light mouthfeel, good acidity, good carbonation, and a long finish. Such a great experience! I was skeptical that it wouldnít hold up to the hype, but this beer is incredible. I think I need to follow through on getting one for the cellar. Thanks for going after this guy with me Ethan and Chris!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
cakanator (452) - South Hadley, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 1, 2012
So very fortunate to try this one. From notes, bottle share at CDC b4 release. From such a small sample I got so much. The palate was incredible, and followed a fruit forward but light nose, citrus, cherry, minimal funk. Cascading down my palate was a hodgepodge of fruits and acidity. Must have bottle.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
readbaron (78) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 12, 2013
Wow. The Don lives up to the hype. Nose is grape juice. Strongly reminiscent of concord grapes, some oak, hint of funk. Cloudy light red/dark pink. Taste is superb. Juicy grapes followed by light lemon tartness and a tpich of earthy funk. Refreshing - unlike any lambic Iíve had before. Fox grapes are legit.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Ludvig (116) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - SEP 1, 2013
One 750ml bottle, amazing taste of sweet candy mixed up with the cantillon sour lambic. the aroma reminds me of artificial candy, with some cantillon notes lifting it up. this is the best cantillon ive had so far, hoping to make a revisit to this willy wonkas candy land once again!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
fredrik_ (87) - SWEDEN - SEP 4, 2013
Bottle thanks to Ludvig. Amazing beer grapes really goes beautiful in this beer itís so good and you just want to drink this over and over again.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
PhillyCraft (3221) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 20, 2013
Bottle graciously shared by Eric at his tasting. Never thought I would try this stupid whale, thanks brah. Pours gorgeous murky pink with a tiny white head. As soon as you dig your nose into the glass your hit with the most beautiful, candy grape smelling flavor ever. On top of the grape dankness, there is a good bit of horseblanket, fruit skin, and barn. Flavor is concord grapes, acidic peach, vintage oak, blanket, and sour cherries. Dances on the tongue with a perfectly balanced body. This is honestly the best smelling and tasting lambic I have encountered. If you are lucky enough to try this lambic, make sure you have some Kleenex or a jizz rag with you. Cheers

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
cfrances33 (34) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 9, 2013
Bottle decanted and poured into a Cantillon tulip. Pour is a mildly hazy, juicy magenta. A finger of pink head. Smell is beautiful, rich grape and lemon acidity. A good dose of funk as well. Jammy grapes and lemon acidity on the taste. Grape flavor is rich, but not too sweet... balanced well with one of the cleanest funk profiles Iíve ever encountered. Minerally and delicious. Mouthfeel is rich, juicy, yet untterly drinkable. Dry finish. Overall... this might be tied with Blauw for the best beer Iíve ever had. Certainly the best fruited lambic. Perhaps we will meet again one day!