Brewed by Cantillon
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 1750   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
The world's classic Gueuze. A blend of one, two, and three year-old lambics creates a second fermentation in the bottle. The champagne of Belgium. In contrast, the Lou Pepe Gueuze is a blend of three 2-year-old lambics.

Newer vintages are labeled "Organic Gueuze", "100% Lambic Bio" or "Classic Gueuze".

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
malrubius (2239) - Springfield, Vermont, USA - JUL 16, 2007
33ml 2006 bottle in Gulden Draak tulip. Pours hazy pale orange with lasting ring head, big and small bubbles. Aromas of tart lemon and barn. Flavors of tart fruit (grapiness) and horseblanket with some cloying aftertaste. Medium-light body. Very refreshing and tasty beer but maybe not the best gueuze. Not as complex as others, and perhaps not in the best condition (questionable cork)but excellent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
Wim (3274) - Weelde, BELGIUM - JUL 15, 2007
amber orange cloudy body with a mostly dimisching white head a nice fruity aroma a moderate acidic taste and a average acidic fruity finich

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jarspag (601) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUL 12, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 18, 2009 Sampled n my visit to the brewery. All style molds are thrown out the window with these lambics - and man does the place smell wonderful. While I consider these beers extremely unique and intriguing, they still require a lot of "acquiring" for me. Cut throat tart and sour to wear it sinks its teeth into your cheeks and gums with no plans of leaving. I really enjoyed this, but for whatever reason I still have trouble drinking lambics in excess as it gets to my stomach.

17thfloor (2440) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 12, 2007
UPDATED: APR 17, 2009 [rated 7.12.07] My first non-flavored lambic. Bengal orange pour with minimal frothy white head. Smells like dusty rubber or something... very unique. Never tasted anything like this... very very sour I donít even know what else to say... wow. Like battery acid. Iím not even sure how to rate this... [rerate 07 cork 4.17.09] Well... it has been quite a journey since my first misguided rating of this beer. 375ml bottle labeled Classic Gueuze. Pours a slightly hazy orange with a small fine white dense froth on top. I find it funny that I gave the aroma a 3 the first go around. Strong gueze aroma, dusty, moldy, smells quite potent, sour and fairly sweet, some lemon. Flavor is much more mild than I expected. FUCK... I remember not even being able to swallow this 2 years ago... now its extremely tame. Actually fairly sweet, tangy... maybe my last bottle was a more mature vintage for the time. This is delicious, such a treat and widely available. Supremely blended, very sour, could use some more acidity though, not extremely sharp, definitely needs to dry out a bit, light bitterness, faintly metallic, just a hint of stomach bile, fairly grainy actually. Great body, medium mouthful, very soft fine carbonation, dry feeling.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Braudog (6066) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - JUL 11, 2007
I uncorked this and realized I may have it a little cold. It pours bright orange with a cloudy covering of yeasty head. The aroma, exquisite ... Iíd describe it as "Mediterranean" -- very acidic, almost olive oily. This is definitely a sipper ... sharply vinegary, lemony, bready, juicy, sour, oily. Finishes dry. (#3014, 7/11/2007)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SSSteve (4007) - - JUL 7, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 13, 2007 cloudy dark gold with a small fizzy white head. olive, brett, sour, musty aroma. makes my mouth pucker without even tasting it. not a fan of this style but i try to be fair. flavor is mainly peach and apricot with some brett and olive notes and maybe some lemon. palate is sour(as hell) but smooth somehow. highly acidic(stings my teeth). i can tell itís made well and a lot of care has been taken here. after the acid and sourness bombard the palate it becomes sweeter, juicier, and easier to drink.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
LordCorkscrew (1774) - Ronco Scrivia (GE), ITALY - JUL 6, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 9, 2008 spettacolare, a quanto ne so un vero classico della gueuze, sicuramente tra le cose piý curiose e preziose (curioso dirlo di una miscela di lambic) che io abbia mai assaggiato. La prima impressione fu piuttosto brusca, ma cíŤ voluto poco per innamorarmi. Assaggiata per la prima volta allíIrish di Quinto (6), poi comprate due bottiglie da 33cl per un aperitivo da Ciobž (6.50 - !! - per ognuna) e poi ribevuto al pub del Duca (6) in una splendida serata iniziata con una titanica pizza ai peperoni a Campomorone. Ribevuta di recente con la mia ragazza a cui Ť piaciuta (!!!).

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeerBiker (1413) - Odense, DENMARK - JUL 4, 2007
[Sampled at DōE-festival, Valby, 2007 with svoger.] After a heavy tour passing stouts and IIPAís this was a wonder. Sourness of grapefruits made me ready for further investigation at the festival. It cleaned my mouth in the best way, you can imagine. Iíll never forget it. Maybe I should sample it neutral one day, but I think Iíll give it the same rating. From now on Iím lost in Cantillon!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Veer (362) - Landskrona, SWEDEN - JUL 4, 2007
Original notes lost.
Smells soapy, citrusy and bretty. Nice and complex aroma with hints of green apple peel. Slightly leathery.
The flavour is not as sour as I prefer, but itís adequate. Thereís a vague saltiness which gives it a little more body.
Hazy, warm yellow with some pale foam. Itís quite soapy and light, yet slightly viscous to the palate. Nice carbonation. All in all a nice but pretty light gueuze.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
DruncanVeasey (7854) - NUNEATON, TOP, Warwickshire, ENGLAND - JUL 2, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 14, 2007 750ml corked and capped bottle, recommending I drink it before 2030. On this evidence, I could have waited. Pours a dull, faintly misty gold with a creamy white head receding to a halo. Nose is sherbety and sharp, with notes of lemon rind and sodden barrelwood. Pungent, shuddering, sour apple gobstopper sourness beyond the cheapest, nastiest, bone-driest champagne or white wine Iíve ever encountered. But none of the wood-tinged dankness or fustiness needed to make the acidity interesting. Once the glass has stood for 10mins, the acidity becomes almost unbearable...but still I keep lifting the glass. No choice really as the g/f has just tipped hers into mine. There is a fruitbowl of sour apple, lemon and tangerine flavours swirling around somewhere in there, but overwhelmed by a burning, gastric acidity. The reason why a beer this dominated by one-dimensional sourness is hailed as a complex classic continues to elude me. A beer that challenged my senses from first swig until last, but not a beer I enjoyed.