overall
Brewed by Cantillon
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 1837   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
The world's classic Gueuze. A blend of one, two, and three year-old lambics creates a second fermentation in the bottle. The champagne of Belgium. In contrast, the Lou Pepe Gueuze is a blend of three 2-year-old lambics.

Newer vintages are labeled "Organic Gueuze", "100% Lambic Bio" or "Classic Gueuze".

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
hoplover406 (204) - Crofton, Maryland, USA - APR 7, 2008
750ml.Bottle. Label has the picture of the dude drinking in a chair. Donít know how old this bottle is, but iím guessing itís pretty young. Pours slightly hazy pale gold/straw with thin fizzy head. Settles to a clear pale gold. Aroma: Light barnyard funk, leather, must, oak, grapeskin. Nice. Flavor is sharp, tart and funky. Dry finish and a bit harsh. Too young?? Ok. What a fantastic style of beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mistersinalin (381) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - APR 6, 2008
Although the bottle that we bought didnít look like the labels to the left, I have confirmed this was the Gueuze that we tried. This was very crisp and you could taste the oak. Not too sour, but a nice tart bite. We shared this some family members who were introduced to and know enjoy Gueuze.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
lowry99 (14) - USA - APR 1, 2008
On tap. If you are prepared for it to be a touch more sour than some you will not be disappointed. I have found little variance from Cantillon bottle to bottle (in a good way) but the tap is slightly better than both.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerheart (237) - Erie, Colorado, USA - MAR 29, 2008
Organic Gueze. Pours a hazy orange with little head. Strong aroma of vinegar and hay. Sits sour on the palate. The taste has hints of dried orange peels, vinegar, maybe aged cheese. Very nice. This is the third gueuze Iíve tried this year, and Iíve become enamored of the style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Blom (837) - Odense, DENMARK - MAR 26, 2008
Hazy amber with a low head. Acidity and sour aroma of sweat and vinegar. The flavour is very dry and brut-like with strong notes of vinegar. Itís pretty violent on your throat, as expected, but still drinkable and actually quite nice!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Maverick34 (2915) - New York, USA - MAR 24, 2008
Bottled from the brewery, Sour and guzzy, etc. I guess itís good but I got to say Iím not a geuze fan.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
ciuspan (94) - HillerÝd, DENMARK - MAR 23, 2008
Det mest sure sprÝjt jeg nogensinde har smagt. Som at sśtte tungen pŚ et 9-volt batteri.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
austone (1062) - Turku; Pori, FINLAND - MAR 23, 2008
(1996 bottling) Light golden with no head. Nose is gently tart, strong cellary notes. Flavor earthy and cellary (aged cheese) with nicely round sourness. Strongly carbonated, sharp palate. Very interesting and surprisingly drinkable. I only wish Iíd had a fresh one to try on the side. Not having that many gueuzes under my belt, this was probably like throwing pearls to the pigs. But I liked it!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
gueuzeisgod (113) - Graham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 21, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 16, 2008 Organic Gueuze, 375 ml bottle, bottled in 2004. Very little carbonation behind the cork. Instanly, the funky aromas fill the air. Grapefruit pith, lemongrass, light leathery notes, fresh barn on a spring morning, goat sweat. Nearly still, strong lactic acidity dominates. Citrus pith, zero malt sweetness,some old barrel wood is last on the tongue. A tiny bit over the edge for me, I like Oud Beerselís balance a lot better.This one really blasts the palate, I ate some crackers inbetween sips to keep the acidity in check. Really good, though I wouldnít drink a 750 ml, 375 ml is enough for this treat beer. Worth having a couple of times a year. *** Addendum april 6,2008- Tasted the classic gueuze, which is categorized along with the Bio- I have to say that it is a bit better balanced and slightly more drinkable - young sample (2007 bottling) I would rate the classic at a solid 4.0, maybe a bit better- a rating that I reserve for beers that are world classics that should be bought whenever found.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
macguy (146) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - MAR 15, 2008
This is absolutely my favorite beer on the planet. I find one now and then in my travels. I havenít been to Europe much lately (that pesky devalued dollar and all) but found this one in April of 2007 in a grocery store in the Yokohama Japan train station. That little bottle had quite a ride until it got to my belly in a home on a dirt road in North Florida. This is an incredibly well balanced guezue with palate that is quite dry but not offensively so. Smell is so subjective. Either you love or it reminds you of a sheep pen. I love but then I kind of like the smells of a barnyard so take that at what itís worth. It poured a beautiful amber with a very tiny and quickly evaporating head. Itís an amazing beer. I was a little worried about how this bottle had fared on itís long journey. Fear not, pilgrim. It was just as tasty as it was when I drank a bottle in Antwerp a few years ago that had had a much shorter trip. This bottle came with the makenpis statue on the label and a Japanese label (with barcode) pasted on the back. If you have a chance to try this beer, you owe it to yourself, even if you donít think you like lambicís.