overall
Brewed by Cantillon
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 1662   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
The world's classic Gueuze. A blend of one, two, and three year-old lambics creates a second fermentation in the bottle. The champagne of Belgium. In contrast, the Lou Pepe Gueuze is a blend of three 2-year-old lambics.

Newer vintages are labeled "Organic Gueuze", "100% Lambic Bio" or "Classic Gueuze".

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - DEC 23, 2006
More please. This stuff is great. The degree of sourness is right in middle of a mild gueze like Cuvee Renee and a more aggresive gueze like Hansenns. Color is a lightly hazy light amber-orange. White foam settled to a small ring around my narrow wine glass. Aroma has horse blanket, flower petal, and slight toastiness. Taste is lemony with a touch of sweetness and a slight toasty bitterness. I could drink this all day.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
frizzzzle (76) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - DEC 17, 2006
2004 bottle, labeled "Organic Gueuze." Pours a slightly hazy orange color with a lively, but quickly fading head. Aroma is primarily cidery, with apple and pear, and pretty darned funky. Overtones of a very musty blanket, horses, and vinegar make me smush my face further into the glass for more. The aroma is downright intriguing. The first sip made me tear up and cough just a bit -- this stuff is really strong. My first reaction is "Whoa, sour!" Thereís more funk in the flavor, tasting like dust and hay, musty and brown. It still has the cidery sweetness I smelled, but itís more lemon and sour. The finish is a bit drier, with the dustiness taking part. Aftertaste is sour, sticky, and lingering. Gueze lambics remind me vaguely of sweet tarts, plus funkiness. This oneís darned tasty, and about what I expected.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
RichJ7 (1175) - Cullman, Alabama, USA - DEC 16, 2006
Bottle. Pours a clear gold in color with a minimal white head that quickly disapates. Slightly sour grapefruity aroma. Flavor is bitter and tart: grapefruit, some vinous touches, a bit of a wood cask taste, very dry finish. Pleasant and refreshing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Egon (478) - Gothenburg, SWEDEN - DEC 16, 2006
bottle. yellow, hazy color with white head that fades quickly. Not that acid for a gueuze. Notes of wood? Dry, short finish. Can recommend this to a beginner of this type of beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BitchesBrew (715) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - DEC 13, 2006
[bottle] Pours a bright, golden yellow color. Very short-lived white head. Aroma is really funky, like earthy wood and sour fruits. Flavor is sharp, sour citrus, some subtle wheaty sweetness and sour cherries. Very tart, dry finish. Really nice- my first example of the Gueuze style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
drfabulous (4511) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - DEC 11, 2006
I love this beer. So sour. I had it in Brussels and my eyes lit up. It brings with it the ritual of drinking: the basket, the pouring. A lovely gueuze.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
dberger624 (1028) - Phila, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 7, 2006
Draft under the "Monkís Cafe Cuvee" name at Monkís Cafe in Philly. Good beer. Nice tart and grassy taste to it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
MPA (860) - Amager (form. NÝrrebro&Aalborg), DENMARK - DEC 7, 2006
Bottle. Golden/orange with a thin head. Acidic aroma with cellar and fruit. Sour flavour with fruit and a touch of wine in both flavour and palate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
RollinHard (1024) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - DEC 6, 2006
Pours a cloudy dingy yellow, kinda like urinating in a snifter. Complex aroma, like nothing Iíve smelled prior to this, my first gueuze: very strong aroma of hay, horse, wet dog, mustard, and lemon popping up later. Tastes completely sour to me, almost to where I needed tools to remove my tongue from the roof of my mouth. Wow. I detected some wheat in there, and some citrus, but the sourness overwhelms. Finish left my mouth cloying a bit, but Iím not surprised. Iíve been a big fan of sweet beers, so this was hard for me. I need to try the style more in the future, see what it unfolds. Not quite yet though.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
chef201atc (261) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - DEC 4, 2006
Cloudy straw, no head. Smell is wet hay and lemons. Taste like spoiled, fermented lemonade. All I can say is - Horrible.