overall
Brewed by Cantillon
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 1606   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
The world's classic Gueuze. A blend of one, two, and three year-old lambics creates a second fermentation in the bottle. The champagne of Belgium. In contrast, the Lou Pepe Gueuze is a blend of three 2-year-old lambics.

Newer vintages are labeled "Organic Gueuze", "100% Lambic Bio" or "Classic Gueuze".

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
SuIIy (1983) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - MAY 8, 2006
2004 Bottle shared by OldGrowth on 5/6/06. Pours a hazy pale dull golden color with a small white fizzy head. Nose is light barnyard and yeast with some lemony hints and a bit of must. Lots of small bubbles settle at the bottom and randomly float towards the top. Big rush of sour swarms the tongue straight up with some light lemony hints here and there. A nice hint of fresh grass and a refreshing finish to the sour blast. More of the yeast is present and some light juicy fruit notes are left on the palate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
puzzl (3252) - New York, New York, USA - MAY 4, 2006
Aroma is very tart, apple skins, brett, band-aids and white wine vinegar. Flavor is really intense up front, biting sourness with a great complexity that is unfortunately very shortly lasting. Finish was very vinegary while cold though really smooths out as it warms. Tastes really organic and intense but still pleasing. I feel like it’s not my favorite yet I can’t stop drinking it and wanting there to be more.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 3, 2006
330 ml bottle, 2004 bottling, procured at the brewery in Brussels. Pours a pretty golden orangey color with a slight haze and a thin ring of tiny bubbles. Dry, sour cider aroma, champage and light wet wool notes. Flavors of tart apples, dry champagne, young oak - very tannic, biting astringent finish. Medium body, smooth mouthfeel and little in the way of noticible carbonation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
jewedekind (450) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 2, 2006
Turpentine aroma. Golden beer. Thin head. Limes, spruce, juniper, lemons, underripe berries. astringent. sour all over my mouth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
oldrtybastrd (3222) - Fort Walton Beach, Florida, USA - APR 24, 2006
UPDATED: APR 3, 2010 Pours a hazy golden amber color. Aromas of wood, grass, yeast, some fruit and spice. Taste is yeasty, sour and medicinal, can really taste the funk in this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ross (2100) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - APR 19, 2006
Bottled 2004 - pours out an orange color with a small head that goes away quick. Smells sweet, musty, yeasty, and fruity. Taste is very similar with some fruity esters coming out in the beer as it warms. The wood flavor also starts appearing as the beer warms. Lambics are starting to become my favorite style and with everyone I drink I believe I get closer to choosing it as my favorite. Simply wonderful.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
skibumphishead (259) - Massachusetts, USA - APR 18, 2006
I had this one once at the moan and dove, but now I’m sipping on one from a 12 oz bottle out of a wine glass. This has the perfect Cantillon funk all the way thru. I can just imagine what that brewery smells like. First sip is sour and a little grapefruit flavor. It warms into a funky musty barn stank that makes me want to suck on each sip to pull it harder into my tounge. The two times that I have had this beer have been enjoyable experiences. How much for a case???

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
brentfeesh (1207) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - APR 17, 2006
Enjoyed after Easter lunch on John’s deck. Pours orange and hazy with light carbonation. The aroma has light wood underneath funky wet hay and sour fruit (apple and cherry). The flavor is, as you may guess, sour! Strong sour fruit with strong wood (oak?) leading right behind it and underneath it. This tastes like sour wood. Funky and weird. Body is medium dry with lots of carbonation. While this stuff grew on me a bit, it was still too sour and funky for me to truly enjoy it. I have one more Gueuze in my cellar and I think that will be the last. Looks like Flemish sour is a better match for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
punkrkr27 (903) - Berkley, Michigan, USA - APR 8, 2006
UPDATED: APR 10, 2006 Pours a light golden color with a fast dissipating efervescent head. Smells warm, yeasty and musty. Sour, citrusy, acidic flavor very champagne like mouthfeel. This is the first Gueuze I’ve had and I really enjoy it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Svesse (6285) - Hässelby, SWEDEN - APR 7, 2006
(Draught at Akkurat, Stockholm) Colour is golden yellow to orange, slightly hazy. Nose is sour, acidic, with hints of bog, old socks and ripe cloudberries. Taste is sour, acidic and earthy with hints of green apples and dry sherry. Extremely dry and very complex. Definitely a stand out beer that reminds of no other brew.