overall
Brewed by Cantillon
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 1634   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
The world's classic Gueuze. A blend of one, two, and three year-old lambics creates a second fermentation in the bottle. The champagne of Belgium. In contrast, the Lou Pepe Gueuze is a blend of three 2-year-old lambics.

Newer vintages are labeled "Organic Gueuze", "100% Lambic Bio" or "Classic Gueuze".

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
notalush (5122) - Denver, Colorado, USA - APR 1, 2006
Clear golden color with an impressive ring of lace - very bright, almost citrus-like aroma, with loads of tannic/white wine/grape smells, aged cheese, and a leathery, earthy quality - quite dry, tart and champagne-like - soft carbonation - quite a lot of subtle complexity happening - first, a apple/pear cider flavor, even a hint of peach - then, a sharp tartness, with sour white grapes - some grain/wheat comes into play - some of the leathery earth tones arrive late, followed by a mellow cheese flavor that lingers on through the long, extra dry finish - the more I get into lambics, the more I appreciate what Cantillon is capable of, and this is one of their best.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
illinismitty (2270) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - MAR 29, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 21, 2008 Bottle. Pours clear golden, almost like dare I say, urine. Fizzy white head. Aroma of apples, lemon, hay, and skunk. Very tart citric fruit flavor, with a dry and sour finish. This could use a little more sweetness to round it out, but still very decent. In fact, sourness and tartness just a bit too much as it tastes more like a vinegar to me. 3.3 overall
9-28-06. I had the draft version, special blend at Monk’s Cafe. I think this is superior to the bottled Organic Bio that I had. More sweetness, and not as tart. Much more balanced and complex. Very easy to drink. In fact, I still think the difference warrants its own listing, not an alias. Score reflects the one I had a Monks.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jrob21 (2738) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAR 27, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 29, 2014 Uh oh, my first gueuze and my fist Cantillon. I have definitely never tasted a beer like this before. A bit of a skunky and junky aroma. Bitter and pungent up front but eases into a more pleasant citrusy taste. Closer to champagne than beer but I guess that is a given considering the style. Very sour and carbonated, hints of vinegar. Points for uniqueness but not necessarily enjoyment. re-rate 3/29/14 at tasting at westmeister. With a little more context this beer is incredibly sour and dominated by the yeast but in a way that is enjoyable, complex, and unmatched by many brewers or breweries out there. Really tasty and unique. My initial notes are not much different than my current ones but this is a great beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ABUSEDGOAT (2416) - California, USA - MAR 25, 2006
2004 bottle served slightly chilled. Clear light amber body with a smallish head. At least there’s something in this one. Tart acidic nose, lesser fruity notes. Horseblanket and sour fruits come out too. Finishes very dry with a smoothing oak character. This wasn’t nearly as acidic as the Rose and Kriek. Much more refreshing, delicate and complex. I can’t wait to try some better ones.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
johninmelb (1127) - Bristol, Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - MAR 18, 2006
Incredibly powerful, intriguing, sharp, sour, fruity and yeasty nose. Cloudy and pale. Very very sour flavour which persists and indeed grows in the finish. A depth of intense flavour that sums up a mainstream lambic - citrus, subtle spice, and essentially, a non-comparable flavour all its own. great.

GG (2332) - NorCal, California, USA - MAR 12, 2006
I don’t think that putting into words just how heavenly this beer is would do it justice. Maybe some of the worlds greatest poets may be able to describe how perfect this is, but alas I don’t think I would be able to. Hazy yellow color w/ white head. The aforementioned barnyard, horseblanket, cheese, funkiness, tart, sour, and apple acidicness is just awe inspiring. I will simply say thanks aspidites. Everything sort of pales in comparison.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
chicagobears (429) - Elk Grove Village, Illinois, USA - MAR 11, 2006
2001 bottle. Now this is some wild yeasty stuff. Yellow haze and sparkly. The first wiff is mesmerizing. Not sure what I smelled but its similar to leather. This is absolutely complex. Vineger, salt, fresh lemon, grapefruit, sour apple... Almost eye-watering sourness at first, but I know I was serving too cold. It tamed down once I let it warm. This is like a whole strange foriegn country to me, but I like it and may visit again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
MrWalker (926) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - MAR 9, 2006
Keg @ Akkurat, Stockholm
Labeled 100% Gueuze. Hazy orange colour. Hay, citrus, virginia tobacco, and a pleasant soil touch. Down to earth, so to speak. And as always, refreshing. Top product.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
zippo01 (17) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - MAR 5, 2006
No Head. Nice color, but has a slightly pungent smell. A sour taste, but a nice sour after taste. Overall a nice beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
maniac (3800) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAR 5, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 17, 2010 Bottle at Mark’s Sour Tasting on 06/16/2010. Slightly hazy golden body with a small white head. Tart funky fruit aroma. Sweet funky flavor with a tart background. Medium light body with high carbonation. 8/2/8/4/16 - 3.8 Bottle courtesy of Bob on 08/01/2009. Fairly clear golden body with a small fizzy white head. Quite tart aroma with some fruity hints. Tart light fruity flavor with a touch of astringency that I dont remember from previous bottles. Medium body with moderately high carbonation. 7/3/8/4/16 - 3.8 03/05/2006: Hazy orange color with a very thin white head. Sour citrusy aroma. Sour flavor with some sweet citrus flavors coming through. 8/3/9/4/17 - 4.1