overall
Brewed by Cantillon
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 1555   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
The world's classic Gueuze. A blend of one, two, and three year-old lambics creates a second fermentation in the bottle. The champagne of Belgium. In contrast, the Lou Pepe Gueuze is a blend of three 2-year-old lambics.

Newer vintages are labeled "Organic Gueuze", "100% Lambic Bio" or "Classic Gueuze".

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
frink (467) - coquitlam, British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 30, 2004
Bott;ed 2003. Cork came out on it's own, probably would have blown across the room if I hadn't held it. Poured very lively like champagne with a yellow cloudy body. Aromas of yeasts, cobwebs, dank musty basement and a somewhat medicinal smell. Flavour that of carbonated consentrated lemon juice. Was the sample too young ? Or am I not worthy?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rgrep (156) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - JAN 30, 2004
(7 Jan 04) Label reads "Gueuze 100% Lambic Bio" but I assume it is the same as this. Pours a dark, murky yellow with a fizzy white head that fully diminishes. The nose is of grape and grapefruit. The body is sour and dry throughout with a long, slightly astringent finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Syd (921) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JAN 22, 2004
2002 vintage: 1 pint 9.4 oz bottle pours an orange gold color with a minimal head and some lace sheets that slide down in little time. The aroma is barnyard, asphalt, wood, biological, and tart. The flavor is more sour than a lime, salty, a definite funk, hops detected, and very acidic (but not in a stomach acid sort of way). The palate is impressively rich for how dry this stuff is. Overall, I'm pleased I drank the big old bottle (see Mom, I finished my Gueuze) - in an anthropological sort of way. I will admit I am more of a Belgian Strong Ale whimp. I will leave this style for those that really like it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
chriso (7353) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JAN 15, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 15, 2004 Not much to say about this that hasn't been said a thousand times over. Sour and tart, but somehow appealing. I like it. Best of all, I drank it on the terrace of the Poechenellekelde bar right opposite the manikin pis in Brussels. What finer way to while away an hour than sipping a great beer on a sunny day whilst watching the looks of astonishment on the faces of tourists when they realise just how unimpressive the pissing boy really is. September 2003.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
wulfhere (217) - Billings, Montana, USA - JAN 14, 2004
Bottle of 1997 vintage. My first Cantillon Gueuze, but not my first lambic. Appearance is slightly cloudy, very effervescent with a huge creamy white head that recedes quickly into a thin layer of foam. No lace on the glass to speak of. The color is a pleasing honey golden hue, like sunshine in a glass--it's snowy here in Montana so you've gotta take what you can get! The aroma hits you from several feet away--sharp, acidic, and puckery--like alum or lime juice. There's a mustiness that reminds me of cobwebs and Dracula's castle--as though the beer spent a hundred years buried in a castle wine cellar somewhere. The first taste is like no other I've ever had--really overwhelmingly sour--imagine drinking lime juice and that's sort of similar. I cringed when it hit the back of my mouth--I've had lambics before, but this is much more sour--imagine a lime lambic maybe without sugar to sweeten it. The sourness wakes you up and the mustiness sort of smoothes the edges a bit. The gueuze gets easier to drink after a couple of swallows. If you've never had this beer before, I would say it should be on your must have list. You might not like it, but If you have the chance to drink it and pass it up, you've missed out on one helluva unique beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
mkobes (2140) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - JAN 13, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 22, 2007 On tap at Monks. Nice clear yellow in color with no head. Sour citrusy fruity aroma. Sour fruity flavor. Cherry notes. Tart. Very nice. Dry tasting. Refreshing. Very nice beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - JAN 13, 2004
This being the second beer tasted of the eve, the aroma hit us in the face like dirty socks and soiled underwear. After adjusting the palate a bit, aroma seemed like a combination of pleasantly musty and slightly soured candy. Beer is malty and sweet and backed up with a big-ass sourness. This is definitely an aquired taste, but can be addictive.

Kinz (3286) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - JAN 2, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 14, 2005 Beer 35 Belgium trip. Never thought I would drop a perfect rating, but there it was. We had arrived at Cantillon at 10:00 AM on New Year’s Eve. Toured the brewery, and then they popped a few open for us. Hazy medium yellow, pretty white head. I’m not sure I can even begin to describe all the aromas and flavors, horseblanket and sour doesn’t even come close to doing it justice. Just so much going on. Maybe it was the setting, in a brewery where you can literally almost feel the hand of the beer gods on your shoulder, but I could find nothing I would change here. I left the place emotionally moved, and I don’t think I’ll ever re-capture the experience of that glass. My wife loved it too. NOTE: sample of a 1996 bottling courtesy of Probiere upon taking our new son home from the hospital. I stand by the 5.0 rating. Additional funkiness and some cheddar elements made themselve known, but still amazing all around. Solid carbonation was a pleasant surprise!

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
MaBeer1972 (1307) - Taunton, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 27, 2003
Imensly sour and very tart. This is not a rookie beverage. Definately an acquired taste, for which I don't think I have yet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nate (3727) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 27, 2003
Wonderful floral aroma. Woody & hoppy. Light sweetness. Golden amber slight cloudy. Small white head. Soft watery body with medium light carb. Very tart. Sour grains - acetic. Dry. Medium bitter at the end & yeasty dry finish. Alum.