overall
Brewed by Cantillon
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 1555   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
The world's classic Gueuze. A blend of one, two, and three year-old lambics creates a second fermentation in the bottle. The champagne of Belgium. In contrast, the Lou Pepe Gueuze is a blend of three 2-year-old lambics.

Newer vintages are labeled "Organic Gueuze", "100% Lambic Bio" or "Classic Gueuze".

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
joet (2172) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - APR 10, 2002
On tap, Toronado (SF). I havenít had this in many many years and this is much better than I remember it... You never cross the same beer twice. Beautiful headless grapefruit and golden color. Served less than 48°F Cloudy but no yeast bodies unlike most bottles Iíve seen. Lively grapefruit and cider with sweet tart feel that doesnít command a pucker. Fairly tame -- I was expecting something much wilder. Now at the bottom of the glass Iím certain I could drink 10 more.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DavefromChicago (201) - Illinois, USA - MAR 3, 2002
I wanted to like this. I shoulda waited for a hot August day to try it...Very champagne like presentation out of the bottle except for the foamy persistence of the head. Winey, cidery, yogurty lactic aroma. Odd color seemingly golden at the top and more yellow at the bottom...an illusion? Very sour, grapefruity tart, not what I think of as beer. Iíve had gueuze before but not this one. I thought I was ready for Cantillonís gueuze but better stick to their fruit lambics from now on. Rating is out of respect, I didnít really enjoy this that much...didnít note great complexity, overwhelmed by tartness. After drinking it, I still wanted a beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
pete.nuutinen (2) - Vaasa, FINLAND - FEB 15, 2002 does not count
Champagne like flavour, Golden cloudy appearance, Sour and acidic! Probably the best cult beer in the world! Really Great!!!

Belgik (72) - Sterrebeek, BELGIUM - FEB 6, 2002
Very nice and relatively persistant off-white head of foam over a typical, cloudy amber brew, with quite lively and very fine bubbles. Subdued but typical gueuze aromaís, barnyard, yeasty and cheesy aromaís of adequate but not great intensity. Very fine lacy mouthfoam, sour and of rather light intensity, with slight silkiness, clean and of good quality. Rather light-bodied and not extremely long in the mouth, but fine and satisfying. A very fine gueuze, quite ícivilizedí yet sour character. I would say this one does not score in íbarnyard ecologicalí as much as in the field of ífine characterí, which is a meant to be a compliment in another sense!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - FEB 5, 2002
I like lambic beer and I really enjoyed this. Sour and acidic, so if you donít like these qualities then you wonít like this. Cloudy and yeasty, winelike, but it does not taste like wine per se, as some claim. Overall, just delicious! Will buy again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hairy (25) - liverpool, New York, USA - JAN 18, 2002
this was great,the nose was woody,fruity,musty,it was golden,and cloudy in apperence,great flavor sour,tart,kind of like bitting into a grape seed very refreshingwith a dry finish

jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - JAN 5, 2002
A cloudy yellow, lots of fiz. Some head collapse but persistent. I love the aroma, I dont know what it is but makes my mouth water. Sour, fruity aromas that are immense. Acidic, tart,oak stands out. Sour green apple flavors come out as well. Drying at first but becomes very juicy. Smooth, sharp and one hell of a body. Great stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
danich99 (6) - taichung taiwan, TAIWAN - DEC 18, 2001 does not count
Here is a beer I havenít been able to find for two years, yet I caught myself tasting it the other day after two years without...talk about finish. Arguably one of the top Lambics. A biting sour like a lemon with teeth. This is a beer which makes a pipe smoker buck up. Yet all exxageration aside, (though I am serious about tasting it two years after the fact)I am sipping it again now and I find it though tart quite round and smooth, bodied and oak flavoured. A first rate Lambic!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
heykevin (1276) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - NOV 7, 2001
I wanted to like this more than I did. It was definitely very complex, but the acidity really took a lot away from my ability to enjoy drinking this. That said it was decent chasing a bowl of mussels down the hatch. Better with food.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
motelpogo (6692) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - OCT 10, 2001
weirded me out. slimy, salty, sour, grassy. have to have a few more bottles to figure it all out