overall
Brewed by Cantillon
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 1549   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
The world's classic Gueuze. A blend of one, two, and three year-old lambics creates a second fermentation in the bottle. The champagne of Belgium. In contrast, the Lou Pepe Gueuze is a blend of three 2-year-old lambics.

Newer vintages are labeled "Organic Gueuze", "100% Lambic Bio" or "Classic Gueuze".

ravidesai (947) - Bombay, INDIA - OCT 30, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2003 fabulous. tart sour but far from one dimensional. hazy amber color, funky horsey aroma. many complexities here - a hinbt of apples some herbs. perfect carbonation and refreshing. the champagne of beers. the funk in this beer may scare off some but its worth it.

Kinz (3274) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - JAN 2, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 14, 2005 Beer 35 Belgium trip. Never thought I would drop a perfect rating, but there it was. We had arrived at Cantillon at 10:00 AM on New Yearís Eve. Toured the brewery, and then they popped a few open for us. Hazy medium yellow, pretty white head. Iím not sure I can even begin to describe all the aromas and flavors, horseblanket and sour doesnít even come close to doing it justice. Just so much going on. Maybe it was the setting, in a brewery where you can literally almost feel the hand of the beer gods on your shoulder, but I could find nothing I would change here. I left the place emotionally moved, and I donít think Iíll ever re-capture the experience of that glass. My wife loved it too. NOTE: sample of a 1996 bottling courtesy of Probiere upon taking our new son home from the hospital. I stand by the 5.0 rating. Additional funkiness and some cheddar elements made themselve known, but still amazing all around. Solid carbonation was a pleasant surprise!

ClarkVV (3892) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 18, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 12, 2006 2003 bottle consumed 2/16/05.
As I pop the cork and take in the vapors rising out of the bottle, I have visions of being snugly nestled in between some sheep, cows, goats and horses, lying on a dry hay ground in a warm, dry barn. Ok, itís not that extreme, but it sure is funky. Band-aid phenols, pure, concentrated brett and light vinegar. Itís not moldy/cheesy smelling as much as it is dry and sharp smelling of yeast, dry leather, rich, oily tannins and acidic sourness. The intensity of the aroma is second to none, as well.
The beer looks perfect, with a wit-bier like appearance, cloudy yet brilliantly colored (pale gold, straw yellow and light copper tinges all swirl about). White head sticks around, laying in clumps as it recedes.
Flavor wise, this beer is difficult to prepare for. Pure unadulterated tartness washes over the palate, sticky dough, and plenty of acid coats the mouth. Perhaps the strangest phenomenon, is the way the acid attacks my teeth, much like eating a raw lemon. I can only drink it a mouthfeel at a time and only after pausing to let my palate recover from the extreme sourness and tartness of it. Finish shows great potential to come, with emergent notes of light cheese (camembert/brie type notes), light wood and earth notes and a touch of sweetness. After letting my bottle breath and serving in a tumbler, the carbonation was perfect; it wasnt sharp or prickly, but was far from flat. For me, this was mind-blowing stuff. I donít know what it is, but this floored me. I kept trying to get that effect from the Girardin Black Label, but it didnt do it. I think I still have a lot to learn about the subtleties of gueuze, but I canít help loving this stuff right now. Iím betting that with age, the extreme acid attack mellows somewhat. Iíll test that prediction when I sample Bucknakedís 1996 bottle.
Yep, the 1996 is about as good as it gets. The aroma has mellowed out and softened a good deal, with tons of dryness working its way in. Barnyard funk is there, of course, but not in your face. Flavor is magnificent though. Is this oxidized? I sure couldnt tell. The effects of age have done nothing bad to it. Would drink this every day.

Draught at Redbones October 2005. Brett is more pungent/apparent. Funk and mold and cheese in the aroma of course. Not nearly as sour/acidic in flavor. Much easier drinking. But during the ballgame, I aint complainin. Good lacing, seems cleaner in flavor. Brett really wipes the palate clean after each sip. Reminds me more of drie fonteinen.
2004 bottle Incredibly funky, barny aroma with light sulphur and tons of tartness. Flavor is rustic, sour, tart, woody and dry. I think the flavor and aroma are as good or better than any vintage, but the mouthfeel seems a little bit looser than the 2003. No need to make any quick judgements though, time will be a better judge.
2006 bottleDelicious as always, nice to know some things donít get worse over the years. Reserved sourness, but still nice and tart. Lots of lacto and plenty of fresh brett. Sulphur, rubber, itís all here. Great texture, not as loose as the 2004 and 2005.

GG (2039) - NorCal, California, USA - MAR 12, 2006
I donít think that putting into words just how heavenly this beer is would do it justice. Maybe some of the worlds greatest poets may be able to describe how perfect this is, but alas I donít think I would be able to. Hazy yellow color w/ white head. The aforementioned barnyard, horseblanket, cheese, funkiness, tart, sour, and apple acidicness is just awe inspiring. I will simply say thanks aspidites. Everything sort of pales in comparison.

spdyfire83 (32) - 5280, Colorado, USA - MAY 20, 2012
It should be noted this review relates to Cantillon Cuvťe De Florian. 75cl bottle shared at Akkurat. Poured in a stemmed glass. Vintage: 1996; according to the bartender, this beer is the regular Cantillon Classic gueuze produced with an extra bit of love (i.e. the best lambic at the time) as it was named in honor of Jean Van Royís first born son, Florian. Sweet golden yellow. Half (bubbly white) fingernail head on gentle pour. Smells mostly of oak and aged cheese. Notes of classic Cantillon gueuze - barnyard funk, must, and lemon have held up amazing over time. This beer smells heavenly! Taste follows smell precisely. Nice balance of oak, cheese, straw, and funk with perfectly timed citrus note near the end. This beer is so easy drink, well-rounded, crisp and smooth. Not a single flaw in the taste. Absolutely beautiful! Light bodied with appropriate carbonation. Not too sharp or rounded; just right. This is exactly why I think Cantillon can withstand the test of time and develop beautifully with age. This beer is so balanced, crisp, and amazing. Perfect is the only word that comes to mind when drinking this beer. For me, this is the essence of gueuze perfection. (Long) Stand ovation here!

Hirotoma (471) - Bologna, ITALY - OCT 11, 2012
Becisamente la piý buona la numero 1 delle acide!

krumbum (521) - truckee, California, USA - OCT 6, 2013
Glowing cloudy peach. Smells of funk and just past peak fruit. Perfectly layered fruity tartness. Opens up dry acidic sour tart fermented peach flavor. Amazing

mfp13jr (148) - Glenville, New York, USA - MAY 20, 2014
Holy mother of god. This is one to kill the geuzes of all geuzes. Pale yellow and aroma is all sour up front but not limbic sour. Flavor is beautiful.... Puckering and very dry.

BrunoSanchez (78) - Fermo, ITALY - JUN 11, 2014
Cosa dire della regina delle acide? Semplicemente meravigliosa! ambrata sporca con schiuma poco persistente. Al naso un forte profumo di legno bagnato e frutta verde. In bocca corpo medio e decisamente acida come poche nel suo genere. Fruttata ed amara con finale acetico molto gradevole. Birra solo per intenditori consigliata a chi cerca una birra extrema o persone col palato allenato. Crea dipendenza!!

gschrade (586) - Collinsville, USA - AUG 1, 2014
I had this at Global Brew. Pours gold with a white head. Taste sour, citrus, tart. I thought this was very good. I would definitely drink this again. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone