Cantillon Jean Chris Nomad 2011

overall
Formerly brewed at Cantillon
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 71   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Un assemblage exclusif de lambics biologiques de 3 années différentes, mûris dans des fûts de 3 origines différentes (Bordeaux rouge, Bordeaux blanc et Côtes du Rhône) et brassés par nos amis de la brasserie Cantillon à Bruxelles. 1200 litres ont été embouteillés le 7 janvier 2011 Conservée à l’abri de la lumière, dans une bonne cave, votre Nomad se conservera jusqu’en 2030.... 6%vol - Contient du Malt d’orge, du froment et de l’eau The third in a series of beers made for the Mi-Orge Mi-Houlbon beer store in Belgium and Jean Le Chocolatier chocolate shop. A blend of 1, 2 and 3 year old Cantillon lambic from Red Bordeaux, White Bordeaux and Cotes de Rhone barrels.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
akarova (18) - Bruxelles, BELGIUM - FEB 19, 2012
Cantillon and Jean Chris. Should it really explain what is the heaven in mouth?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
77ships (3313) - Antwerpen, BELGIUM - NOV 6, 2011
75 cl. bottle – had to try a couple of bars before I got this one – glad to have tried it, although I was a bit disappointed that I couldn’t get it as a take away because I wanted to enjoy this leisurely at home – they kept saying that they had to open it there and I had to drink it on the premises because they didn’t want to see this wind up on ebay – told them that I respect Cantillon just a bit too much in order to do that but it is not like there is any way to check my claim – label looks kind of on the cheaper side of thing as some slightly rarer Cantillon tends to be, red Jean Cris label upfront & on the back some explanation, only in French – the explanation basically describes what the Jean Cris series is all about, although I am willing to bet that most people who have tried it did some more for the Cantillon than the Jean Cris name, no disrespect to the guys – it clearly states that this is an all new beer consisting of a blend of lambic of 3 different years aged on Red Bordeaux, White Bordeaux & Côtes du Rhône barrels – good until 2030 (I believe them but I don’t think that I will ever get the chance to verify this statement) – bottled on 07/01/2011 making this close to 10 months old when consumed – slightly hazy golden with almost no head, whatever there is, is very lambic-like \ smell is pretty typical Cantillon, I would say that this would somewhat reminiscent of a 1 yr old Cantillon lambic, very musty, lots of horseblanket, tart, sour lemon, decay, web-covered ancient cellars of ruins but still rather restrained \ Taste is very tart, musty, rotting & decaying with musty lemons, vinegar, lots horseblanket, even more sour & tart white grapeskins, really lots of them, sour, ancient, lots of half rotting old musty wine barrels, like someone forgot them for a century in a cellar & you are kind of licking the inside of them, hint of the gueze bitterness you usual get at the very end f the finish – definitely not an over the edge sour \ typical body \ am I insane or am I the only who isn’t getting any real wine in here which was sort of what I was expecting for? I am getting musty, sour grape skins but no more than you would regularly get from Cantillon, I am getting a lot rotting old wine barrel wood but no real wine in here, maybe I don’t know enough of wine or perhaps even geueze for that matter & I came in with the wrong expectations \ Overall great as is everything in which Jean is even remotely involved in but I don’t think that this ranks amongst the best of Cantillon, whatever interest little or big exists for this beer is not because it is the best Cantillon ever, although it is certainly an enjoyable one

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Leighton (9883) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - FEB 3, 2012
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2012 Bottle at Moeder Lambic Fonatinas for Paul’s celebration. Pours clear, bright gold with a medium, creamy white head. Extremely fresh, lightly grassy aroma. Light to medium sweet flavor, absurdly sweet, some fresh grass, lemony tartness. Light to medium in body with fine, creamy carbonation. Mild dry finish, quite sour but not abrasive or intense. Just exceedingly fresh. An incredibly drinkable gueuze. Awesome.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
PhillyCraft (2855) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 29, 2012
Bottle, courtesy of Jeremy, thanks dude this is one off the old bucket list. Pours a hazy glowing golden shade with small to medium white head. Aromas/Taste are ultra tart funk w/ lactic notes, wood, wine, flowers, lemon juice, grapefruit, and musty rich and earthy gueuze flavors. Medium bodied impeccable sour.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Experiment_Ale (656) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAR 29, 2014
At Stephens House with Stephen, Aaron, and Dave. Pours neon orange not clear. Around is beautiful nuanced cantillion lambic gueuze notes, sour tartness, lemon, tangy soft tartness. Taste is beautiful rounded sour dry awesomeness, sweet tart, cantillion greatness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ggaughan (100) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, LUXEMBOURG - NOV 10, 2011
Nomad is a special beer made exclusively for the Mi-Orge Mi-Houblon beer store in Arlon, Belgium and for Jean Chocolatier, also of Belgium. This is the third in a series of beers made under the JeanChris label (Jean from Jean Chocolatier and Chris from Mi-Orge). Chris was directly involved in selecting the barrels of lambic at Cantillon that were used in this gueuze blend. As with other Cantillon gueuze blends, Nomad includes 1yr, 2yr and 3yr old lambic but the proportions used are different in Nomad. I was told that the typical Cantillon gueuze blend is about 17% of 3 year old lambic but in the Nomad they used 33% of 3 year old lambic. The beer poured a vibrant gold color with a touch of cloudiness and a slight white head that disappeared after a few moments as expected. The aroma of Nomad is musty/earthy, a bit funky with a slight hint of some woody notes and citrus. All the fingerprints of a fantastic Cantillon gueuze. The taste is very pleasing. A nice lemon bite on the tongue but not as acidic as a classic Cantilon gueuze, there is more of a rounded edge to Nomad but yet a more complex taste I believe, some woody notes which I don’t typically get in a Cantillon gueuze. I think this comes from the fact that 33% of Nomad is made up of 3 year old lambic as opposed to a classic gueuze which is around 15-20% of 3 year old lambic. I think the higher % of old lambic lends a more balanced taste. Overall I think Nomad is a very well balanced and well thought out gueuze. Refreshing with a nice dry finish but it still approachable, especially for those that can’t always handle a very acidic gueuze which this is not. Nomad is definitely worth seeking out.

fewa (41) - Beersel, BELGIUM - DEC 20, 2011
I had this beer for the second time now. Thanks again to my brother who picked up some bottles at the source. The conclusion of my first review was that this beer lacked some depth and was too young. I shared this bottle with a lambic blender who is very dear to me. Appearance: a nice straw-yellow color with some faint lacing nose: vinegar, earth, lemon and some horse blanket. taste: again,lemon, funk and vinegar, with a nice wooden tone in the aftertaste. Finish is sharp and dry. Resembles the classic Cantillon gueuze, although this one is quite some more balanced and woody. Mouthfeel: thin but vibrant. Overall: much better than the first bottle I had, or maybe I just had a better day. Although the beer is still young, it already developed significantly over the past months. My friend and I were both very impressed how this one improved over such short time. I will open another bottle in some months again.

daknole (8559) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - JAN 22, 2012
Thanks to storminorman. Rich gold pour, white head dusty, yeasty, light fruity notes, barnyard, horse blanket. Flavor is lightly tart, funky, dry, light woody notes. Bad ass!!!

Scopey (5557) - Croydon, Greater London, ENGLAND - FEB 7, 2012
Bottle at Chez Moeder Lambic Fontainas as part of my Pre-Wedding Celebrations. It pours golden-orange, with a large white head. The nose white grape/wine, tart green apple, melon, pear, grass and medicinal aspect. The taste is fresh fruit salad, lemon, grapefruit, grass, wood and hay, with a clean, tart finish. Fine carbonation, medium body and velvety-soft mouth-feel. It’s a lot softer and more balanced than the regular gueuze, making it much more drinkable. Delicious!

b3shine (4465) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUL 19, 2012
75 cl bottle to snifter shared by me at our whale tasting. Looks good; orange with thin white lacing. Smells nice and funky/geuzy! Tastes great too; awesome geuze flavor with a very dry finish that’s good on the palate. I’d LOVE to see what some age does to this, but it’s great already.