overall
Brewed by Cantillon
Style: Lambic Style - Fruit
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 1400   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Cantillon is the brewer of Belgium’s most authentic lambic. This kriek 100% lambic is blended lambic beer brewed with cherries.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JMFG (1587) - Florida, USA - MAY 21, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 10, 2009 2001 bottle courtesy boboski. Light scarlet color with a wispy white head. Mildly sweet funk aroma that isnít particularly strong. Feathery palate. Bludgeoning tartness, followed by some residual sweetness. Quite aggressive. Itís taking me way longer to appreciate the fruit lambics vs gueuzes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
mazfln (116) - Florianůpolis, BRAZIL - MAY 21, 2007
Red translucent appearance, small white head. It is of course a very different kind of beer, but I really liked it. Very sour, less sweet than I expected. It was very nice with some chocolate. I would love to have it more often, and am very curious to try it without fruit in it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DragonStout (1408) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - MAY 21, 2007
Pours a clear red with a small pink head.the aroma knocks me over, sourness with vinegar notes.Flavor was funky , sour cherries.it will take time for me to really enjoy this.It did mellow out by the time I finished but was still sour dominant.

Quake1028 (633) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAY 20, 2007
Let me relate a story to you about myself and lambics. About 3 months into my RB venture, I encountered a Cantillon Lou Pepe Framboise at a gathering. I had heard of it, and good things at that, so I went over and poured myself a glass. I wasnít nearly prepared for what I was about to smell. In fact, the smell was so overpowering that I could only take one sip before I had to pour the rest out. That smell stayed with me the rest of the night, and for weeks to come. I convinced myself that I would never, ever, EVER like lambics. No sir, not me. Fast forward to the next gathering. I saw this one in the cooler, and got a bit of a knot in my stomach. However, this time I had about 2 more months and about 100 more beers on my palate. I also had about 15 beers in me to this point. I was feeling good. Brave. I was going to conquer this lambic thing, once and for all. I couldnít fail, right?

Pours a light red body with a very small, pink head. Aroma is overpowering, but this time I was ready for it, and welcomed it. This time I was able to pick out some other notes, sure the sour cherry dominated, but also got some vanilla and spices on the nose. Now it was time to drink it. This was my personal day of reckoning, my judgment day. I took in a nice sized amount, and was immediately hit with overpowering sourness, and acidity. Rolled to the back of the tongue, prepared for the worst, and swallowed. The finish was mouth puckering, as acidic and sour as anything I have ever tasted in my life....and damn was it GOOD. So good in fact that I went back for a second pour. I had done it, I had conqured the beast. I have seen the top of the mountain, and it is good. Now, whereís that Lou Pepe Framboise? Him and I have some talking to do.....

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mgumby10 (1856) - Jupiter, Florida, USA - MAY 20, 2007
Pours a light orangish red with almost no head at all. It has that unmistakable Cantillon funky acidity aroma. You get some cherry, but it is drowned out by the sourness. I know I should be expecting it, but the first sip makes my cheeks pucker up and I get a wierd look on my face. Everyone laughs..and points. The taste, as usual is of monster sourness, with mild fruity flavors. This brewery isnt for kids.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Theis (14468) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - MAY 18, 2007
Bottle at KÝbenhavnske ōldage 2007. Unclear red - light pink head. Sour - sour, acid, cherry, vinegar, soft, juicy, citrus, high high dryness. This is again a top-good cantillon, and just what I need after some boring thin light beers !!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Grovlam (4166) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAY 14, 2007
Bottle. Smal fizzy red head that mostly diminished. Spar lacing. Hazy red color. Very fruit with notes of cherry, vinegar, citrus, dusty barnyard. Medium bodied with a dry texture and an average carbonation. Flavor was moderated sour with good some sweet notes. Nice sour dry finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
pnista (1007) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - MAY 13, 2007
2005 bottle. I smelled vinegar when I popped the cap and I broke the cork opening it, so I was worried this was a bad bottle. Looks like a rose! Even a little effervescence, but no real head. Clear bright red. Horseblanket? Hay? Tangy and sharp. Lactobaccilis smells strong, with some salt. Nothing too abrasive, or cherry-like, for that matter. In the mouth this is thin but not overly watery and nicely subduedly carbonated. The flavors are the real shocker. Though this is rather tart, Iíd say the first thing that comes to mind is salty! Tart lactobacillis funk. Like a sour yogurt. Lemony. A little vinegar. Hell, I even pick out some cherry in with the straw and light "barnyard". Really well balanced. Like a dry white wine, though much more astringent. The funky horseblanket comes on strong in the finish, disappearing into a straw acidic dry aftertaste. I really enjoy this and I think I may be willing to put down money for other Cantillon products now.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
kimcgolf (872) - Dacula, Georgia, USA - MAY 7, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 27, 2007 In a word..SOUR. Iím a big fan of Flemish Sours, and have come to like the Lambics a lot on certain occasions, so the tartness of a beer does not bother me. However, I either got one past its prime, or this is meant to be over the top. While it did feature a pleasant cherry aroma and flavor, these too were dampened by the tartness. That being said, the palate was a pleasant blend of the ultra-sour, followed closely by a sweet finish...both to an extreme. All and all, this reminded me of some of those sour kidís candies Iíve had, where your mouth puckers up as you eat them, but for some reason, you come back for more. Iím sure Iíll be back for more of this in the future.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
sunevdj (3482) - Copenhagen OE, DENMARK - MAY 7, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 29, 2007 Brux 07. Tasting at the brewery. Pours an almost clear red with a small diminishing pink head. Hint of lacing. Smells of cherry and honey. Very, very acidic with a light sweetness. Heavy earthy aromas with a lot of cherries and vinegar. Some cask wood. Soft carbonation. Also some minerals. Long cherry- metallic- and bitter finish that is kinda harsh on the throat.
Also had a bottled and maybe a bit aged version that was not as sour.