overall
Brewed by Cantillon
Style: Lambic Style - Fruit
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 1275   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Cantillon is the brewer of Belgium’s most authentic lambic. This kriek 100% lambic is blended lambic beer brewed with cherries.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 4, 2005
Horrific odors emanating from my glass, but dammit, Iím going to drink it anyway! Extreme vinegar sourness! And when you lift your glass, those odors get closer! I hadnít counted on that. Some cherries in the background, but completely smothered by rancid vinegar, refluxed stomach acid, and that overbearing sourness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DarkElf (3033) - La Jolla, California, USA - SEP 3, 2005
(375 ml bottle: Shared by SDbruboy, thanks Cliff!) Although I always avoid describing a beerís color as red because they really arenít, this kriek is definitely a gorgeous shade of red, and fully cloudy. The nose is extremely sour and funky like stinky feet, which arenít really aromas I tend to like, but with this being a kriek, I like them. Iíll probably never be able to reconcile this paradox since Iím giving high marks to a smell I donít like outside of this style of beer. Anyway... The flavor goes beyond tart and is actually sour. Very acidic, and Iím feeling that in my stomach. Certainly, the presence of cherries too, but itís sour cherries, with no real contribution of sweetness from the cherries. And then finally a bit of woody, which has solid presence, but with the sourness, itís the last thing I picked up on. Extremely dry and puckering on the palate, like a dry sparkling wine. The effervescence really gets up into my nose with each sip. It pours with a small white head, actually just a wide, bubbly ring around the edge of the glass, not even a full layer, but any swirling will generate a new supply of white bubbles. Definitely a different style of sour cherry beer from the fruity cherry beers we usually get here in the States. I look forward to trying more of these true lambics in the future.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
hughie (3996) - Bedford, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - AUG 26, 2005
At the Cantillon Brewery. Dark red colour with a slight head. A curious burnt toast aroma and immensely sour in the mouth. Believe me, I tried hard to like this legendary beer. Perhaps Iíll get to know it better when I open the bottle I bought...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
zug4abby (287) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 23, 2005
Warm amber color with a small head and little bit of lacing. this is absolutely incredible to me. I truly enjoyed every part of this beer. Had a nice bitter/sour bite with heavy fruit undertones through-out. Perfect beer as far as my palate is concerned!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 22, 2005
375 ml bottle, purchased at the brewery. Pours hazy, ruddy and slightly orange color with a small pink tinged head. Aroma is very dry champagne, pie cherries, wet wool along with dusty/musty notes. Guezey flavors, extremely dry, very tart, lots of wet, woody notes, sour fruit, astringent and puckeringly acidic. Light body and nice crispy carbonation. Quite nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sigmund (4946) - Tau, NORWAY - AUG 19, 2005
Corked and capped "champagne" bottle, vintage 2002, RBESG 2005 Grand Tasting. Hazy red colour. Sour cherries and horseblanket aroma. Flavour is sour, oh so sour - very sour cherries dominate, but there are lemon and grapefruit notes too. Spritzy. Sour aftertaste. Moreish indeed - one of the few beers at the tasting I found hard to leave for the next sample.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
ales4ever (24) - gilbertsville, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 19, 2005
Okay, I liked this but it wasnít what I expected. It was too sour and didnít have enough body and soul. The cherry flavor was nice and the malt was present, but again, just not what I expected.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Doppelganger (1388) - Dry County, Arkansas, USA - AUG 18, 2005
Vivid, almost luminous red. Just a small amount of fine white head that makes a lovely contrast in color. The aroma...is just insanely sour. Almost vingar-levels of sour apple aroma, with some old leaves and cedar. Pretty monomaniacal on the sourness. Thin, dry and acidic on the palate. Flavor is sour, with not the faintest trace of the cherries. I stretched my imagination as hard as I could. But still no hint. I really like tartness in beer, but this is sour to the exclusion of everything else.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
CapFlu (4469) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - AUG 17, 2005
(Bottle) Sampled at Lubiereís place on August 11, 2005. This was from Jorisís cellar - a 1994 bottle. Aroma of wet wood, minty, fresh leaf, runny cheese and red licorice. Pours a frothy, white head wityh a deep peach-cherry body. Initially tart melding into a calcium yeast shot.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
thebeertourist (4761) - Oslo, NORWAY - AUG 13, 2005
Red-brown with a pinkish head. The aroma is intensely acidic. Less so in the flavor, which develops into a rather nutty, dry finish from a moderately acidic start. Another star product from Cantillon.