Cantillon Loerik

RATINGS: 164   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%

Ringo's rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - OCT 5, 2004
Delicious. I am not even going to try and describe all of the flavors, because the overall effect, the gestalt of the beer, is that it is delicious. I want to drink more and more. Too bad I that there is no more available to me, and I couldnít afford it if it was. A stunning beer. If you have not had this, you are missing something extraordinary.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
gn0sis (52) - Massachusetts, USA - MAY 2, 2014
Sampled at Denver Ghost Tasting, 10/13.. Clean bottle sourced from an old Belgian cellar- 1998 Cork -an extremely well preserved cork at that. Pours with a tinge of carbonation and a bright golden presence in my tulip. This is the moment weíve all been waiting for! Aromas of hay, grass and barnyard, along with some lemon rind dominate. Small head, minimal lacing, watered down oily presence in glass. Looks like perfection, and tastes even moreso like it. Its amazing- supreme balance of tartness and oak, along with a delicate subtle hint of oxidation. This bottle appears to have been aged under optimal, even near-perfect cellaring conditions. Not much tops this in terms of non-fruited Cantillon offerings, this is the pinnacle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
vtafro (3197) - Wayne, New Jersey, USA - MAR 9, 2014
(backlog) Bottle. Golden pour with tan head. Big tart sour aroma, some funkiness, yeast and citrus tones. Flavor follows and has a smooth finish and after taste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
cfrances33 (34) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 9, 2013
Bottle thanks to Matt, decanted and then poured into a Cantillon tulip. Pour is a mostly clear bright straw orange, with a finger of frothy eggshell head. Some lacing. Smell is bright, juicy lemon and a well balanced hay funk. Some earthiness. Taste is much of the same, with bright juicy lemon, mango, and peaches. Some cheese and a nice dose of minerally funk. Incredibly drinkable, with a nice tart lactic acid aspect. Finishes impeccably clean for a geuze this old. This was a great bottle, and lived up to its reputation

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Damico (2547) - Royersford, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 10, 2013
Wow, thank you Eric and God rest your soul Walt. Pours thick unclear amber orangish in color with a sandy colored head, ironically there is a head. Aroma and flavor both bring some sweet and tangy Belgian yeast with a decently dry ending bringing citrus puckering on the palate.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Godofthecellar (667) - NYC, New York, USA - APR 22, 2013
Bottle poured into a cantillon taster on 4/20/2013. I have been waiting a long time for this day to come. One of my biggest white whales has been beached.. Appearance. Bottle poured a hazy orange color with a thin line of head. good carbonation... its awake! Nose- lemons and peach, with a moldy funky cheese, notes of soccer cleats but in a good way(dont know how that is possible but it is) grass funk & hay. One of the best smelling beers i have ever had Taste- citrus notes mixed with barnyard funk. grapefruit and cheese. Lactic acid combined with a suttle earthiness probably attributed from the age of this fine geuze. Overall- this totally lived up to the hype. One of the best beers, and beer experiences shared with some great guys!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sean9689 (272) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 3, 2012
Originally rated on 06-24-12. Iíve had this beer twice in the last month...yeah, that doesnít suck. Both 750ml bottles into my go-to Narke tulip.

Pours a mirky golden yellow color, white fizzy head, wisps. Nose is mellow funky citrus, light mineral notes, oak, and hay. Smells like an old Gueuze, but if youíve never had one, you donít know what Iím talking about. Musk, barn, and light acidic notes on the end. Flavor really reminds me of the Cantillon Gueuze I had from 1996, perhaps a bit more nuanced and delicate. Citrus, funk, tart, hay, musk. Thereís a mineral character on the finish mixed with the citrus and tart notes that I contribute to the age. Doesnít detract, but I think it could eventually build to hamper the taste. Light body, light carbonation, refreshing, dry finish.

So, both bottles were extremely delicious. I would say this is one of the top Gueuzeís Iíve ever had, and probably one of the best sours as well. Really good stuff...want more...plz? Until we meet again.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
McGrupp612 (139) - Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 27, 2012
Bottle into my cantillion glass. Huge thanks to Tom for sharing this. Dark gold/brownish pour. Huge funk on the nose. Unlike any cantillion funk Iíve had before. Infinately complex funky aroma with horse blanket, barn, hay, sweat, soil and must. The flavor really caught me off guard with the large mixed citrus flavor (lemon, orange and grapefruit) seemlessly integrated with the complex funk. I was quite surprised how amazing this tasted. Creamy mouthfeel and the carbonation just exploded all the citrus and funk across my palate. The best geuze that Iíve ever had.

Huhzubendah (2443) - Washington DC, USA - AUG 5, 2012
Shared by ygtbsm94 at our insane sour and wild ale tasting on April 14, 2012. Thanks Brad! The beer is straw yellow color with a soft, fluffy white head. The aroma is fantastic. Citrus, funk, hay, farm scents, oak, earth. Wow. I kept an ounce in my glass and set it aside so I could return to its scent periodically, until I finally gave in a pounded it. The flavor is just phenomenal. Way more citrus than I was expecting. Orange and lemon flavors balanced to perfection. Just the right amount of funk. A simple beer, really. I canít imagine a smoother, more delicious gueuze. The feel was perhaps the best I have ever experienced in a lambic. To say that Loerik is smooth does not do this beer justice. Overall, a stellar beverage. My highest recommendation. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 04-22-2012

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
Dunt (283) - Illinois, USA - JUN 7, 2012
Thanks to Paul for this epic treat! Funny story about this, I was suppose to sample this over the upcoming weekend and found out I could no longer go. So as you can imagine, I am beyond excited to be seeing this tonight. Brownish orange in color with a small head of small, tight white bubbles. Nose is incredible, apricot, lemon rind, oak, and just straight funk....itís beautiful. Flavor is bright lemon, oak, must, and some cobwebs. Light mouthfeel, pretty still actually, moderate acidity, and a nice long finish. The most incredible gueuze I have ever consumed hands down. Not much else to say.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
motelpogo (6453) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - MAY 11, 2012
1998 bottle, thanks so much to jacob for dropping this off in pilsen, sampled xmas day 2011 with mowbeer and skykob, alongside some homemade gravlax. thick and hazy dark and rusty golden; aroma of capers, olive brine, oak, merlot, more capers; amazingly lively for such a vintage beer; all sorts of stuff going on flavour-wise - roseís lime cordial, foie gras with poached pear, garbage juice and, of course, more capers. a pretty good way to kick off an excellent xmas tasting session