overall
Brewed by Cantillon
Style: Lambic Style - Fruit
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 1438   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
"It has the colour of onion skin", said a voice behind me. It was Raymond Coumans. He was admiring the colour of the raspberry lambic reflecting in the red copper of the buckets used to empty the barrels. At that time (1986), "Raspberry-Lambic" already was synonymous with a sweet, artificially flavoured beer. This is why we decided to distinguish our beer from the other raspberry beers. Raymond proposed to call it a rosť, dedicated not to Bacchus but to Gambrinus.

The process to make this beer is identical to the one to make Kriek. When young, the Rosť de Gambrinus will still present its full fruity taste. Later on, the lambic taste will become dominant at the expense of the fruit taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ante (3374) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - APR 26, 2006
Bottle sampled at Kulminator. ornage colour, almost no head. Sweet but still with some woody acidity in the the aroma. Dry acidic flavour, raspberry stones, wood and rhubarb. Acidic but in a usual Cantillon way. A refreshing fruit drink, maybe over the top, though.
Earlier Rating: 9/23/2003 Total Score: 3.8
Orange/pink in color. small white head. strong sour aroma of citrus, grape, oak and raspberries. Sour and fruity flavour. Grape, oranges, rapberries with some small champagne notes. Dry and complex finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
SpringsLicker (3236) - Tennessee, USA - APR 25, 2006
Thanks to Beer_Hawk for sharing this one! Orange with a pink blush to it. Fleeting white head. Powerfully tart, sharp, raspberry aroma. Tartness overpowers this one for me, There is some fruit in here if the tartness would just let up a bit to let you enjoy it. Truly for the Lambic lover.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nekronos (3742) - Xalapa, MEXICO - APR 22, 2006
NIce flavour,m the aroma is good, and it is unfiltered, the labael is sexy, but the beer is awesome by itself.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BeerHawk (1810) - Huntsville, Alabama, USA - APR 17, 2006
2004 Bottle. Poured an orange color with a small white head. The aroma was earthy with some light spices. Raspberry flavor with some extreme tartness in the mouth. I also have horse blanket scribbled in my notes but I donít remember if this was a flavor I found or me asking Jay for one to wipe the sourness off my tongue. Thanks bro for sending this out for the Tennessee Tasting! You warned me it would be sour.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - APR 16, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 11, 2008 Bottle, shared by NachlamSie. Pours a hazy bright orange with minimal whitish head. The aroma is a distinct earthy sourness, with notes of cheese, slight sweat, muscadine, raspberry, cumin. The flavor is refreshingly sour, with dry earthiness and mild acidity. There is a faint fruity hint of the raspberries, but not overtly so. An assertive cheese tone lasts into the aftertaste. Pretty good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
5000 (6300) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - APR 12, 2006
Bottle: Orange base, strong pink influence, slightly hazy, small to moderate light pink head, fizzy, dies quickly, spotty lacing.   Tart oaken nose, subtle raspberry, somewhat immature in nature.   Tart on the tongue, bordering on sour.   Raspberry is apparent, but not in the sweet sense.   Becomes more noticeable as it warms.   Moderate to full body, mouthfeel is average.   Dry, tart finish.   Very little raspberry at this point.   Wished the fruit aspect was a bit stronger.   Otherwise clean and fairly tasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
ALLOVATE (2550) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - APR 8, 2006
After trying this one I believe itís more endowed for honours as the íchampagne of Belgiumí than their notably fierce and addictive Gueuze. Honestly this lacked a little too much of the Cantillon lambic character and was a little too crowd pleasing to be a classic. My wife even liked it as it was "as close to a Rosť sparkling wine as beer has ever been". Thats not to say I didnít like it!!!
Poured into a flute; a wonderfully alluring peachy orange body, slightly hazy, with no head at all to cap it off. Tart mix of cherries and raspberries, spoiled fruit and musty sour-dough, lemons and vanilla in the intriguing but not enticing aroma. I love the first mouthful of these beers as it rips the finer layers of skin right off every corner of the mouth. Talk about acidic. This one is really dry with feint notes of peaches under layers of soft cherries and raspberries, ripe lemons and grapeskins. Itís well attenuated alright, having a thin body, extremely dry palate and a mouthfeel similar to an aged rosť champagne. Finish has a little musty, slightly cheesy note before tart, drying fruit turn to acidic dryness and disappear. I liked it, but I didnít expect such a clean, sour and dry example of lambic as what I tasted here. Refreshing like champers but not really my thing. One to try again fresh. (37,5cL, Bottled in 2004, Intíl Beer Shop, W. Leederville)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
xproudfoot (750) - Paleolithic, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 28, 2006
Bottle. To many people, I am aware that this review may rightly reflect as much about me and my social environment as the beer. But, my palate is still not able to adapt to such things at this point, and it yet surprises me that this seriously pleases anybody. I want to like it - and I find it a touch more apalatable than say, a rodenbach grand cru. But to me, it still has an undesirable manure farmy fruit tart aroma, and the beer tastes like almost nothing but sour acidic vinegar, cider vinegar. The fruit is barely detectable, and provides the faintest tinge of puckering sweetness, almost no sweetness at all. I can barely manage to drink a small amount of this. I may keep trying, and more power to the people who like this, but itís completely bizarre to me. I donít think lindemans is a wonderful or terribly authentic product but, at least I can drink that, so it has a higher rating. It also occurs to me that possibly my bottle wasnít very good - a significant portion of the beers I bought at Oliverís in Albany NY seem to have been infected or bad... but in this case I just think this is an extremely sour beer made for a small minority of people who are pleased by this... I will likely not ever be one of those people, and I donít see any reason to be embarrased about that.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
CMUBEERMAN (421) - - MAR 20, 2006
UPDATED: APR 25, 2006 2004...my first serious lambic. Yikes...is this what they are supposed to be. Pours a very nice looking pale orange/pink with hardly any head. Smelled extremely tart/sour...with a bit of yeast funk and fruit. Tasted extremely sour and had just a bit of fruity raspberry...but nothing in the brew could possibly contend with that sourness. Mouthfeel was actually quite smooth and dry. Not my favorite...but I guess lambics are going to take some getting used to.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bhensonb (12150) - Woodland, California, USA - MAR 19, 2006
2004 "vintage". Beautiful burnt orange tones, and the aroma reminded of tinned orange juice - with a bit of raspberry. The tart acidity predominated, so it must not have been young. So when does a lambic lose the fruit dominance? This went well over three days using a champagne stopper. Excellent for a before dinner drink. Not recommended to accompany desert.