overall
Brewed by Cantillon
Style: Lambic Style - Fruit
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 1423   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
"It has the colour of onion skin", said a voice behind me. It was Raymond Coumans. He was admiring the colour of the raspberry lambic reflecting in the red copper of the buckets used to empty the barrels. At that time (1986), "Raspberry-Lambic" already was synonymous with a sweet, artificially flavoured beer. This is why we decided to distinguish our beer from the other raspberry beers. Raymond proposed to call it a rosť, dedicated not to Bacchus but to Gambrinus.

The process to make this beer is identical to the one to make Kriek. When young, the Rosť de Gambrinus will still present its full fruity taste. Later on, the lambic taste will become dominant at the expense of the fruit taste.

TheBeerLover (1025) - DC Metro Area, USA - FEB 2, 2006
World class lambic, with a blend of cherry and raspberry. Cantillon brews some of the most traditional lambics, and are not sweetend, to please a bigger audience. Rose De Gambrinus is a phenomenal beer, with complex aromas, and flavors. Pours to a beautiful light ruby color, with a pink head that fades, and a lively carbonation. The nose is complex ,with sour vinous notes, along with aromas of horse blanket, cherry, and raspberry. The palate is lively, as flavors zing on the tongue. Oaky flavors marry with vinous flavors, and flavors of tart cherry and raspberry. Rose De Gambrinus finshes with more complex flavors up front, then ends bone dry with flavors of oak, sourness, and cherry stone. Amazingly complex, vibrant, and flavorful, this beer has tremendous cutting power. It would slice right though a rich pate, buttery cheeses, roasted beef, turkey, or pork. An ultimate aperitif beer, and an ultimate desert beer.

zaxtreme (10) - - MAR 4, 2014
Very young beer. Raspberry presence is still pretty heavy. You could accuse me of hyperbole for the straight 5s...but I disagree.

Splitenz (336) - Oslo, NORWAY - APR 30, 2014
I never, ever thought I would like anything like this. Back in my late teens, early twenties there was a shop in Skagen (Denmark) selling Belgian beer. I hated it. Now, I think it is perfection. The beer, for it is a beer, is sublime. Having been to Cantillon I guess I have an even higher appreciation of their products. It is such a "simple place" and yet, it produces wonders that enhance our lives. I love sour flavors, and in this you get that in buckets, but with added sweetness and textures to guide you safely towards that closed eyes, "aaaah" sound Iím sure you will let out. If not for the price, I would drink this far more than I do now. I hope you dare try it, and enjoy it as much as I do.

Ionlyrate5s (103) - New York, USA - SEP 17, 2014
Pink red color....really cherry rasberry aroma and real tart first impression. Fist impression was not wrong, just real tart and oh so wonderful tart, the flavor really showcased the raspberries. Such a good plaque buster. Wonderful memorable experience.

bearislandbeer (15) - - DEC 20, 2014
Perfect. While Cantillonís original lambic is an experience to be had, this is by far my favorite brew. For that matter, my favorite sour. They have mastered the art of fermenting sours out to perfection so there is only a subtle amount of sweetness from the fruit and the perfect sourness from the yeast. Cheers to them!

tykechandler (319) - Kentucky, USA - FEB 1, 2015
Это пиво вкусное. я, конечно, рекомен& его всем, что любит хорошую Craft пива!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
witthatsbier (360) - glasgow, SCOTLAND - AUG 23, 2009
dry sour wonderful lambic from the most traditional of brewers in anderlecht this beer with added raspberries and sometimes a little cherry is a world class example

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
ahutch (3) - Idaho, USA - OCT 11, 2013 does not count
Not too sweet like most fruity beers. The aroma is amazing and the taste is more appealing to those who prefer specialty beers over super sweet and fruity beers.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hopscotch (9954) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - JUN 24, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 10, 2013 Re-rate
Bottle - 1992 Vintage... This beer rocks!... A careful pour reveals a clear golden ale. The aroma is insanely sour with notes of sharp, vintage cheese, ReaLemonģ, wood, must, cobwebs and vanilla. The flavor is tart as hell; close to the Belle-Vue Sťlection, but pulls up just shy of being quite that acidic. My eyes water, but I donít squint each time I take a sip... ok, maybe just a little. Liquid intensity... bottle of fun! All that pungency is surrounded a suggestion of sweetness up front and a touch of bitterness on the backside. Full-bodied with a creamy mouthfeel and soft carbonation. Finishes, you guessed it, sour! Cheers to boboski for procuring the bottle! 1992 was a very good year!

Original Rating
Bottle - Brewtopia NYC 2004... This beer rocks!... Murky, orange ale. No head to speak of. The aroma is sour, woody and fruity. The flavor is mouth-wateringly tart, fruity and earthy. Medium-bodied with a dry mouthfeel and fizzy carbonation. The finish is lengthy, sour, and then dry. World class beer! Underrated, I think.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
macguy (146) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - MAR 6, 2005
(2004 bottling) This beer alone might be enough reason for me to move to Belgium. Itís amazing. It has a beautiful cloudy presentation. The head is thin and doesnít last long. The bubbles on the inside of the glass (I used a short goblet) add to the attractiveness. Itís a pleasure just to look at it. The nose is delicate but present. It has the character of a lambic with the slightest hint of the fruit. As you inhale more, the fruit dominates. The mouthfeel is clean and there are no apparent off-flavors. Folks, this is a sour beer, and unless you have the appreciation for this kind of beer, leave it to the folks that do. Iím one of those who do enjoy sourness. There is not a drop of residual sugar that I noticed, and Iím pretty attuned to sweetness. If youíre a diabetic, this is the beer style that you should learn to love. I donít know what else to say about this except that opening this bottle made me realize that itís been three weeks since Iíve been to Belgium and Iím long overdue for a return visit.