overall
Brewed by Cantillon
Style: Lambic Style - Fruit
Brussels, Belgium

RATINGS: 929   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Aged in oaken Bordeaux wine barrels with merlot grapes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
henrikb (1259) - Aarhus, DENMARK - MAY 9, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 12, 2006 (Draught at Akkurat, Stockholm 27 April) - Beautiful clear red body, no head; Even though this again is the strange mix of wine and lambic, this one has an unusual clarity. The lambic character is very clear and it is spiced with the elegance of the grapes. The nose is clear and lots of complexity in it: Citrus, lots of very green apples on a background of blueberry, forest soil, truffle (clear notes from the Bordeaux-grapes added to the blend (not Burgundy!)) and a little sweet vanilla (with time in the glass, all this is overpowered by very simple wine notes); Quite sour, quite simple full body; into long sour finish with character and notes of a very bad watery merlot wine, this is extending into some fine touches of lambic.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Svesse (6735) - Hässelby, SWEDEN - APR 27, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 5, 2013 (Cask at Akkurat, Stockholm) Deep red colour, like red wine, some faomy head. Absolutely still (no carbonation). Nose is acidic, with hints of grapes and black currant, rather harsh with som tannic acid. Taste is full of grapes and red wine, rather acidic and harsh with the feeling of tannins. Very nice indeed. 7/4/7/4/14=3.6. Rerate: (Bottle, bottled 2008, 5 Jan 2013) Clear red colour with brief frothy, pinkish white head. Fruity sourish nose with tart red berries, grapes, red-currant, barnyard and stable. Fruity, tart taste with notes of unripe grapes, red fruit, cowberries, black-currant, hints of stable and barnyard. Dry and tart finish. Medium body. Excellently balanced. According to the label this should have been consumed before the end of 2009, but I’d say this has gained a lot from the extra ageing. A lot better than the (already quite good) younger version. Lovely beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - APR 23, 2006
Well, I’m finally going to sample this “Lambic” that has been “Numere Uno” on my top five beers to sample for many years, I’m almost hesitant to sample it as I’ve waited so long I’m afraid I’ll be disappointed “Not” I’m sure. The beer, after the removal of the black foil, crown & cork from the 750ml green bottle it sets in the flute glass a beautiful dark ruby with a bit of purple, the head is minute, the color and off white, “WOW”, I can smell berry tartness from two feet away. Nose is acerbic, with hints of grapes, cherries, musk, also to me the odor of damp and old moss covered oak, a plethora of aromas in this nose. First taste, “WHAM”, a pungent mouth puckering sourness, with just a tiny bit of sweetness, top is light in feel. Finish is dominated by the tartness with a bit of the berries and grapes coming through, vinous, and absolutely the driest aftertaste I’ve ever experienced. My oh my what a brew this is, and I must say it was worth the wait and the $44.00 I paid for it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bager (2121) - Copenhagen N, DENMARK - APR 10, 2006
Bottle. Dark red coloured. Light bordoux head. Dark fruits and round taste. Short aftertaste. Will most likely be pretty good for fish apetizers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
TURDFERGUSON (4008) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - APR 4, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 1, 2013 on tap at the Moan and Dove. $10 for a 8oz glass! I guess thats what can be expected with a $400 barrel and a 750 that sells for $40 a pop. I love cantillons, but was a little dissapointed with this one. Same cantillon nose-funky and earthy. flavor was a bit like a mild sour red wine. i felt that the palate was lacking a little bit compared with some of the other cantillons. did get a tad more complex at the beer warmed up a bit. good, but not great. Still glad to get to taste, but not eager to fork over those 40 bones for a bottle just yet. It’s been 7 years since I had this on tap at the moan and dove--that in itself is hard for me to believe. But I don’t know what was up my ass when I put in this rating, maybe I was pissed about paying $10 or whatever it was for the six ounces. But damn this is a fine beer. So happy to see Brad pull it out around 2am. I drank a shit ton of lambic in the wee hours after the GT mainly thanks to Brad Larkin. I want to live in his cellar.

Mads Langtved (2244) - Copenhagen K, DENMARK - MAR 23, 2006
Hazy red appearance. Slightly sour. A like the complexity a lot in this. Some sour wood, oad, is touching the finish. A really elegant and interesting brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Miguel (1181) - Saint-Ours, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 19, 2006
Robe rouge voilée. Arômes de liège et de vin. Saveurs acides, sures et sèches de vin.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
GonZoBeeR (2984) - Ste-Eulalie, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 18, 2006
Aroma:smell same think like the other cantillion,light acid and sour... Apperance:verry hazy reddish,light pink head... Flavor:dry sour flavor...no palate...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerbuzzmontreal (3488) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 17, 2006
The pour reveals a cloudy reddish brown color with a ring of white lace. Strong aroma of tart and sour fruits with some barnyard. Excellent flavor of sour and acid fruits (grapes?),barnyard and it is also dry. The mouthfeel is dusty and the body is light while the carbonation is gentle. Excellent lambic but maybe not worth 30 US$.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
smcd (366) - USA - MAR 8, 2006
Perhaps one of my greatest regrets is not being able to lug more bottles from Cantillon home. A great example. Tanins play against the sour brett, the result being a complex symphony of flavors only those brave enough to endure the assault will enjoy. Right up there with the vigeronne ... and after all, which is better? Red wine or white?