overall

RATINGS: 132   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.67   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
Loaded with a great depth of malt complexity. Huge and rich as can be, yet exhibiting a great smoothness on the palate.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 10, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 21, 2005 December 2005 bottle, consumed December 2005.
Deep, translucent chestnut brown in color with a short, creamy white-to-grey head. Milk chocolate bubble gum leads the aromatic display, along with slight plastic band-aids crossed with chocolate scented scratch ní sniff stickers. Some caramel contributions and a dry pecan edge in the nose as well. Wonderful milky sweetness oozes in for the flavor portion, equally imparted with caramel, chocolate toffee and honey roasted hazelnuts. Dry crackle at the sides of the tongue mimic the teeth snapping unsalted pecans, and its likely aftermath. Sweet, viscous syrup accents akin to maple vats, imparting a pacified wooden smoothness. Only detraction is a bubblegum current of a failed Bubble Yum chocolate-flavored gum experiment (would that I could blame this character flaw on their bottling operation in Monroe, where a dark shadow is cast on the Wisconsin brewing industry as a whole.) Perfectly succinct and balanced, finishing like buttery Rolos hammered onto Heath bars. Barely skips a beat from last yearís version, and I still love this doppelbock to death.

December 2004 bottle, consumed January 2005.
Excellent beer - definitely one of (if not) the best doppelbocks Iíve ever had. Pours a deep ruby brown. Little to no head with small lacing - one of the lighter doppelbocks Iíve had. It didnít appear to be as thick as I was expecting when I poured it into the glass, but the taste delivered. Smooth and complex semi-sweet chocolate malt nodes and moderate carbonation. Definitely a rich, whole-mouth experience. Tastes yeasty, almost like a liquid bread made with brown sugar. Traces of oak and roasted nuts. Alcohol is very well hidden and isnít evident even in the finish. Leaves a nice nutty, malty aftertaste which I can still remember and pine for as I write this review. Fantastic beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
soulrefugee (46) - Illinois, USA - JAN 1, 2005
Reminds me more of a Porter than a Doppelbock, at least the ones Iíve had. Has the slightly bitter coffee taste which I donít mind. Since I am not a big fan of heavily hopped brews, Iím glad the bitterness isnít the type that comes from lots of hops. The head dissapates faster than Iíd like to see, but all in all its a pretty well made, pleasing, rich, hearty, flavorful brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2515) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - DEC 31, 2004
This turned out to be the ideal beer to rejuvenate my ratings. I think I had been resorting to rating a little too much by style, rather just on a beerís own merits - and especially when I pick up a beer in one of my favorite styles, Iím going to take notice when it doesnít completely match up to the standard (in the case of doppels, Celebrator sets the standard for me). But while this may lack some of the huge melanoidiny Munich malts of Celebrator and others, this turns out to be a very nice easy drinking dark lager. There is plenty of toffeeish malt, if restrained and balanced by a semi-dry finish. Very smooth. Attractive deep reddish color. I could drink alot of this, even for its strength.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
IndianaRed (2315) - Boise, Idaho, USA - DEC 28, 2004
Bottle Pours a medium dark brown, with a small off white head. Aromas are a nice sweet caramel, apple, dark woody malt combination. Flavors are slightly smokey, lots of dark malts, and very little hops. Feel is a bit thin and dry, and the ABV is a bit noticeable but does not take away from it. Becoming one of my favorite styles. Thanks to MrFacto for this one

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - DEC 24, 2004
12 oz bottle. Yay! My Capital doppelbock ratings are complete! This one is clear walnut with a very creamy, lasting off-white head. Caramel and a bit of underlying chocolate and vanilla dominate the nose...is there some anise and cherry? Is our children learning? They is! The body is smooth and creamy, alcohol evident...no Laura Iíll come to bed after Iím done with this...coke! Juicy baked apples and cherries appear in the body with touch of rum and a big dose of caramel...mmm good, I misunderestimated this one...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JCW (1274) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 24, 2004
Sent to me by CaptainCougar, Thanks Tom. Very well made Doppelbock. Aroma of carmel, toffee and above all else German hops(Saaz and halertau). Flavor is slight tart and sweet. Creamy mouthfeel .Sweet & lasting finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
heemer77 (5096) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - DEC 23, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 27, 2006 Recently purchased at Discount in Milwaukee. Purchased again in Madison a couple weeks ago. Pours with a very dark amber hue. Head dissapates very quickly. Rich nose of toffee, caramel and malts. Taste is roasted malts and caramel. There is still a slightly buttery finish that bugs me. I still like the brewer, but something about this one hits me the wrong way. Too rich.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
biermensch (64) - USA - DEC 12, 2004
Pours a very deep amber, with a decent but short-lived head. Malt is overwhenlming, with molasses and chocolate flavors, and only moderate hops balance. Very sweet, but drinkable, but with the alcohol content, I wouldnít consider this a sessions beer. Another fine product from Capital in Middleton.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Mangino (1027) - Mississippi, USA - DEC 12, 2004
Pours a dark brown, small off whtie head. aroma of nuts, cherries and cream. Flavor is rich and choclately. Reminds me of choclate cake with vanilla frosting. Delicious. Creamy and malty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
tomxcs (320) - Berkeley, California, USA - DEC 10, 2004
From a bottle in a snifter while sitting around with a couple friends...this beer poured a reddish-brown color, without any sort of haze and a very small head. Aroma is rich malt, fruity liquor, and candy and really fills up my nose. Flavor is sweet, burnt caramel with spice, brandy and raisin undertones. It becomes sort of dry and alcoholic in the throat and begs me for another sip. This was a really delicious beer that I could drink all night but also powerful enough that I shouldnít.