overall

RATINGS: 264   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.31   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
A pleasingly warming beer with it’s amber hue showing off it’s rich malt heritage. Mildly bittered with a smooth hop flavor complementing the malt. Winter Skal makes a person welcome the onslaught of the cold. Available November through January.
2014 vintage - 5.8% abv

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
dekester1 (336) - Neenah, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 12, 2010
Poured a nice red-amber with a minimal head and lace. Aroma of mainly malt with tinge of sweetness and grain. Taste was mainly malty with grains and a touch of hay. It finished with low-moderate hops and a slight sour twist. Palate was real nice. Overall, a decent seasonal effort from the folks at Capital.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mrjaxson (336) - .08 Junction, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 20, 2014
The caramel malts dominate the aroma to be like, duh, caramel, though there’s just a hint of fruit, maybe cherries? The taste is sweet throughout and there can be a chocolatey finish. Tasted from a bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
tomxcs (321) - California, USA - FEB 2, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 24, 2005 Translucent amber color with quickly dissipating white head. Somewhat piney & malty aroma, although weak. Moderate hoppy taste with a decent amount of bitterness, a little too carbonated for my tastes. Overall, good & drinkable. One of the better Capital brews.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
bbrock81 (311) - Le Mars, Iowa, USA - NOV 30, 2003
An excellent, fairly mild spice flavor, much less imposing than the other winter beers I've had, and probably my favorite of the bunch.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
WickerBrew (311) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 10, 2007
I love winter seasonals, but this doesnt measure up in my book. Not quite as smooth as I was expecting - although still quite smooth. Could use a little more spiciness, but maybe thats not the goal here. I think for winter beers I like it when the brewer goes all out.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
keoki182 (305) - West Bend, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 29, 2006
This was my second beer of the night at West Bend’s Riverside Brewpub, and I really don’t remember much of it. I wasn’t drunk, just that it’s pretty nondescript. I recall an amber hue with thin offwhite lacings on top of the beer. A little hoppy spiciness, but overall dominated by malts. It was tasty enough, but ultimately quite forgettable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gmku (295) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - JUN 7, 2005
Great winter brew. Love the toasty, slightly woody flavor. Sometimes it tastes a bit like cherry to me. Clean finish and rather simple but very enjoyable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Beloved Beer (278) - California, USA - DEC 24, 2002
Another good one from capital. I am not real sure yet how it qualifies as a winter brew but it was refreshing. Well balanced between the hops and the malt. Good "session" beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
THE BEER BARON (275) - Wisconsin, USA - DEC 28, 2001
A nice malty taste and aroma. Now I am ready for winter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
cblado (271) - Washington, USA - DEC 15, 2007
12 oz bottle. Pours a light amber color. Light malty aroma, almost fruity. Unobtrusive grassy, almond flavor, spicy as it goes down. My first experience with a Capital Brewery Seasonal.