Carolina Beer Co. Cottonwood Hazelnut Stout

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 25   MEAN: 3.89/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
High Cotton, Limited Release.

wcudwight's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
wcudwight (10) - USA - JUL 8, 2008
If you love hazelnut then you will love this beer. I love hazelnut. Rich hazelnut aroma fills the room the moment the the cap is popped. This taste like the best hazelnut coffee I’ve had, but only better.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ibrew2or3 (6890) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - JUN 25, 2011
Courtesy of askofficerfriendly. Bomber pours deep darkness with mocha head. The aroma is . . . what is this! It pummels the senses with rich coconut, thick sweet nuttiness and chocolate as well as a sense of dry nut skins. The taste is similar with rich bold brash nuttiness, some chocolate going on in there too and coconut. It then rolls toward slightly sourness into the finish. If you want rich nuttiness look no further than this. Wow!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
markwise (4467) - North of Tampa, Florida, USA - APR 27, 2011
Thanks to the Tampa crew for the share. Pours a dark brown with a dark tan head. Holy hell, the nose on this beast! It smells like a jar of Nutella. No shit. The nose is straightup hazelnuts, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, slight roast, and some nuttiness. Flavor is everything it sounds like- hazelnuts with chocolates and some mild earthy nuttiness. Medium-bodied, and we could not decide if there were extracts used... I still canít render a verdict, but either way it is unique and enjoyable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Snojerk321 (2960) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 17, 2010
22oz bottle. Pours a very viscous brown / black with a creamy tan head. Holy crap! Iíve never smelled a beer like this in my life. Nose of hazelnut, cocoa and coffee. Roast on the palate.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
sebletitje (6680) - Enghien, BELGIUM - MAR 30, 2010
courtesy of tpd975 í07 bottle and wow, what a gem this beer was. pours dark brown, tan fizzy carbonation. Aroma was just pure hazelnut goodness, Chocolate roast and malts, but overall it is dominated by hazelnuts. Flavors, has this dry nutty characteristic, nutty is all over this beer and I think it picks up where many of the hazelnut Italian beers fall short. There is a nice subtle light chocolate and roast along with mild bitter nut finish. Really unique, I can see how some might think it is overly nutty, and sharing the bomber was a good idea. This beer is nutella on steroids without all the corn sweetener crap.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
MeadMe (1305) - Riverview, Florida, USA - MAR 25, 2010
A: Pours a nice dark black with a thin tight tan head. No retention or lace. S: Holy cow if you cracked a bowl full of hazelnuts and took a whiff it would smell less like hazelnuts than this. Light coffee notes, with a bold nut laden chocolate like candy sweetness with hints of vanilla. T: Damn this is good. Is this real nuts or an artificial sweetner. I really want to know how they pulled this one off. An ass load of real hazelnuts. There is even a bit of bitterness from the nutty pith of the nut. Hints of coffee, and a bold candy sugar like sweetness. To call this beer a pleasant surprise is an understatement. My buddy SeaBass called it liquid Nutella and I have to agree.... Liquid Nutella, but better. M: On the ligher side of medium, smooth. Dangerously drinkable. D: Very good. Unique, when I cracked the bottle I had no idea that this was what I had in store. Love It. Make it again and put it in a barrel for off the charts goodness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
Lothore (550) - California, USA - MAY 2, 2009
A- Pours very dark black with a brown 1.5 finger head. S- Very strong hazlenut, almost like coffee creamer. T- Starts out with hazlenut but fades quickly to roasted malt, hints of coffee. A little light and cloying in the finish. M- A little thin with quite a bit of carbonation. D- This one definitely seems like a novelty to me. Too sweet for my tastes but it was interesting to try.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
freekyp (1485) - Thomasville, North Carolina, USA - NOV 30, 2008
Roasted hazelnut pours from the aroma. Upon closer exam, there is a deep bitter bakers chocolate and perhaps some vanilla in there as well. Pours a very dark brown with a viscous tan head. A bit of tartness lends a very drinkable quality to this thick strong stout. The alcohol content is very obvious in this one. Flavor is bittersweet with hazelnut in every corner and crevice of this beer. Don’t even think about trying this one with dinner. This is a desert beer all the way.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Ughsmash (7136) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 26, 2008
Thanks to BleacherBum for this!! "Cottonwood High Cotton Hazelnut Stout", 2006, Bottle #243. Poured medium-viscosity, deep garnety brown with a short cap of very deep brown head. The aroma reminded me of coffee with the creamer my wife used to use in it (chocolate/hazelnut).. rich coffee and chocolate with powerful hazelnut that I could smell from 4 feet away.. a bit of oak in there as well.. I must say that I enjoyed this! The flavor had much more chocolate than coffee.. dry-roasted and semi-sweet.. hazelnut, coconut, vanilla, and grainy oak surround (also some mild sourness from the oak).. finished dry with roasted chocolate and toasty coconut (I donít like coconut, but Iíll make an exception when itís presented this way). Medium-bodied, dry, and slightly sour on the palate.. I wish it was a touch thicker.. grainy back-end worked well for presenting the chocolate and hazelnuts. Excellent brew!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jobyone (234) - Charlotte, USA - JAN 14, 2008
Pours black with tan head. The aroma is great as long as you want hazelnut. I could smell the beer as soon as it was on the bar. I have to say I have never had a beer with a stronger aroma. With that in mind I assumed it was going to be a disaster in the flavor. However the flavor is definately dominated by tha hazelnut it was queit nice. There was some hint of malt and some bitterness. We then decided that this beer needed something sweet so we ordered a wood fired chocolate cip cookie and vanilla hagendaz ice cream (wood on south in Charlotte) and the combination was a treat. Suddenly the hazelnut was much more balanced with the sweet desert. I would still like more bitterness in the beer itself but as a desert beer with a nice sweet chocolate desert I would have it again in a heartbeat. On its own once is enough.