Carolina Brewery Black IPA
     click to upload

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 3.64/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.15   EST. CALORIES: 231   ABV: 7.7%
Our Black IPA has a little something for everyone. I looks and pours like a classic porter with pitch black color, hints of rich dark chocolate and a beautiful tan head. Breathe in the aroma and you will recognize that this smooth drinking ale is hopped with loads of Falconers Flight hops. This blend of north west hops imparts subtle tropical and citrus notes. Finally, we add more hops to this beer in the fermenter to impart that true-to-style American IPA aroma.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
emacgee (4025) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - NOV 20, 2012
Had this on tap down the street at The Crunkleton. I have to say I was super impressed with this beer. I wasn’t expecting too much here but they nailed it. Deep opaque black pour with a visible viscosity and 1-2 fingers of sticky dense chestnut brown head. Lovely pour. Rich nose with notes of burnt sugar and treacle with a touch of citrus rind. Espresso and cacao nibs come through as well. Full bodied with a light carbonation. I prefer the weight here to a dry finish. Lasting medium bitterness. Citrusy notes in the flavor as well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
GT2 (8435) - San Diego County, California, USA - NOV 10, 2012
Tap at the Chapel Hill location. Pours a very deep ruby to black. Mocha foam. Webby lace. Nose is savory, sweet raisin, strawberry, blackberry. Taste is oily, hoppy, bitter dark chocolate. Very intense nutty hop bitterness. Solid effort. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
maxwelldeux (3665) - Everett, Washington, USA - OCT 12, 2012
Draught. Pours a really pretty almost black color with a small head. This was a really smooth brew to drink. Had a really nice level of hoppy bitterness to it, though it was not at all overpowering. The malts in this balance it out nicely. Glad I found this...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
OldGrowth (2663) - North Carolina, USA - SEP 23, 2012
Pint at Pittsboro location. Good aroma, smoke, sweet, little citrus with smoke and chocolate. Blackish brown color, small head that faced quick, no lace. Bittersweet flavor. Medium body, thick yet lite body, bitter dry finish. Pretty good, good on aroma and flavor. Real bitter on flavor, aroma has a little more sweetness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TURDFERGUSON (3954) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - SEP 14, 2012
Tap @ the brewpub. Black with a solid fuzzy fine bubbled tan head, lots of webby lace, impressive looking beer. Nose of cocoa, herbal hops, Asian pork dumplings (with soy/dipping sauce). Bitter and herbal flavor, some licorice, light molasses, bitter dark chocolate. Grew on me a bit as I made my way through the pint. I told the college student bartendress that the beer was, "good for this brewery" but I prefaced the comment by saying I was "kind of a beer snob.". She was less than impressed and preceeded to tell the other bartender and manager on duty about my comment right in front of me, but smiled afterwards. I asked her if she was offended and she said no. Ha. just trying to edumacate the youngins. Turned out she had just turned 21.