Cassel Railroad Special Maple Rye Ale

Brewed by Cassel Brewery Co.
Style: Specialty Grain
Casselman, Canada
Serve in Shaker, Tumbler

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.13/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.88   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Not knowing if it had been done or not, I was curious about brewing a beer entirely with maple sap no tap water, so I did. The result is absolutely FABULOUS something I have never tasted in any beers that I tasted so far, I also added pure maple syrup to the fermentation. Brewed with a high % of Rye Malt, this brew is made to enjoy with a nice cheese. The sad side of this one is it can only be brewed during sugar camp season. I’m getting ready for next year!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
asheft (2484) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 5, 2013
[bottle] Sweet and spicy aroma with some sweet ethanol and complex strawberry and apricot accents. Hazy, tawny copper under a dotty, white ring. Sweet and spicy flavour with ethanol and rye characteristics. Nutty and with apricot notes, but no obvious maple. Faint popcorn. Medium body, moderate to medium carbonation, sweet and tangy finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Lubiere (9788) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 8, 2013
A hazed dark amber ale with a thin off white head. In aroma, light nutty malt with light woody maple. In mouth, a sweet roasted malt with maple and licorice notes, burned caramel and alcohol. Nice.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Gorbalev (2911) - Ontario, CANADA - MAY 2, 2013
Bottle from the brewery. Dark golden brown with a nice head that goes away alarmingly quickly after the pour. Aroma is very sweet with some booze. Taste is very sweet again, and tons of booze. Lots of sugary sweetness here. Body is sort of syrupy thick. I have enjoyed some offerings from this brewery previously, but this one will go down as a failed creative experiment in my book. I think we should probably close the book on maple beers - they sound so good in theory, but I have yet to have a solid one.