overall

RATINGS: 133   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.31   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
A wonderful golden straw-colored India Pale Ale we developed using five varieties of grain and five separate massive hops additions.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
decaturstevo (5390) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - SEP 27, 2006
On tap at Barley in Knoxville. A hazed orange/amber pour with a lite white head. An aroma of hops as expected with a citrus kicker. A slight citrus fruitiness flavor and sweetness that is kicked in the ass by the hops quickly. A nice hoppy bitter finish. Not a great beer but not a bad one. I would gladly drink it again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jrob21 (2849) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - SEP 17, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 27, 2007 Light and fruity. On tap at Barelys in Asheville. Not incredibly big hoppy flavors. Very subtle melon tastes. Not incredibly interesting but not overpowering in the bitter hop category.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
TURDFERGUSON (4010) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - AUG 27, 2006
pint at mellow mushroom in asheville, nc. my cousin told me that he does not normally like ipaís, but he had tried and really liked it. I wanted a local beer so I was glad to try. nose was very flowery hops, as oppose to the piney west coast style that seems to perpetuste the current ipa craze in america. Thinner than most in the body and in terms of hop prenouncement, but equally enjoyable. Good call, cuz!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
GeneralGao (3614) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - JUN 9, 2006
Draught at Barleyís in Asheville, NC. Clear orange with thin white head. Flowery hop nose and flavor, but not as prominent as I had expected for an IPA. Nice hop bitterness up front that fades toward the end.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
awebster (165) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 31, 2005
A fairly decent IPA, very hoppy, and citrussy (if thatís a word). Not very full-bodied.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
NachlamSie (2918) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 30, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 9, 2010 Draught. Pours a cloudy orange with a firm white head. I revisited this one thinking I might like it better now, I canít say that I do. The aroma is fairly citrusy and tangy with hints of apple, bark, and grass. The flavor is dry with little emphasis on pine or grapefruit. Itís more of a wooden flavored acidity with a decent amount of floral tones. The malts remind me of pears. The particular flavor here just didnít do it for me.
[December 9, 2010]
every so often I get a wild hair and try this again, each time thinking that Iíll come around. But it never happens. This time it showed up at McClarens so it was obligatory that I revisit it. I want to like it, but I just canít. I get the same impression: there are plenty of hops and they are balanced well with the malt. The aroma is pretty decent and clean. Itís the particular flavor profile that leaves me wanting. There is certainly plenty of bitterness for the style, but little citrus or spice definition to entertain the palate. The finish is earthy and lingers on a papery note. A couple sips reveals a soapiness. This is a well made IPA, itís just the actual choice of ingredients does not suit my personal preference.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Ayumbomb (63) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - OCT 28, 2005
Up to date, this is one of the only, if not the only IPA I actually enjoy. Iím not a big fan of IPAs, but when a friend offered to split a pitcher of this stuff, because he likes it so much and wanted me to taste it, I agreed. Itís very unique blend that somehow confused my senses into not thinking it was an IPA. Worth trying out.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
legion242 (2323) - Richardson, Texas, USA - OCT 21, 2005
medium to heavy copper. Minimal head. Nice mild hops. Touches the over the top, but doesnít get there. Still not bad though.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
BeerHawk (1810) - Huntsville, Alabama, USA - OCT 17, 2005
Draft at the 2005 Knoxville Brewerís Jam. Poured an amber color with a small off-white head that fully diminished. Both the aroma and flavor were classic IPA but weaker than I hoped. Light to medium body with a dry bitter ending.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - OCT 15, 2005
(Knoxville Brewersí Jam). Pours cloudy honey orange with a very thin head. Aroma is zest, grapefruit, and pine. The flavor has a bit of toast, but largely silvan hops that get very bitter after the finish. Could use better balance.