overall

RATINGS: 128   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.29   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
A wonderful golden straw-colored India Pale Ale we developed using five varieties of grain and five separate massive hops additions.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
NachlamSie (2809) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 30, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 9, 2010 Draught. Pours a cloudy orange with a firm white head. I revisited this one thinking I might like it better now, I canít say that I do. The aroma is fairly citrusy and tangy with hints of apple, bark, and grass. The flavor is dry with little emphasis on pine or grapefruit. Itís more of a wooden flavored acidity with a decent amount of floral tones. The malts remind me of pears. The particular flavor here just didnít do it for me.
[December 9, 2010]
every so often I get a wild hair and try this again, each time thinking that Iíll come around. But it never happens. This time it showed up at McClarens so it was obligatory that I revisit it. I want to like it, but I just canít. I get the same impression: there are plenty of hops and they are balanced well with the malt. The aroma is pretty decent and clean. Itís the particular flavor profile that leaves me wanting. There is certainly plenty of bitterness for the style, but little citrus or spice definition to entertain the palate. The finish is earthy and lingers on a papery note. A couple sips reveals a soapiness. This is a well made IPA, itís just the actual choice of ingredients does not suit my personal preference.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Ayumbomb (63) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - OCT 28, 2005
Up to date, this is one of the only, if not the only IPA I actually enjoy. Iím not a big fan of IPAs, but when a friend offered to split a pitcher of this stuff, because he likes it so much and wanted me to taste it, I agreed. Itís very unique blend that somehow confused my senses into not thinking it was an IPA. Worth trying out.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
legion242 (2270) - Richardson, Texas, USA - OCT 21, 2005
medium to heavy copper. Minimal head. Nice mild hops. Touches the over the top, but doesnít get there. Still not bad though.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
BeerHawk (1810) - Huntsville, Alabama, USA - OCT 17, 2005
Draft at the 2005 Knoxville Brewerís Jam. Poured an amber color with a small off-white head that fully diminished. Both the aroma and flavor were classic IPA but weaker than I hoped. Light to medium body with a dry bitter ending.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - OCT 15, 2005
(Knoxville Brewersí Jam). Pours cloudy honey orange with a very thin head. Aroma is zest, grapefruit, and pine. The flavor has a bit of toast, but largely silvan hops that get very bitter after the finish. Could use better balance.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
grat (433) - ST. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 27, 2005
Serious let down...serious. Lovely beer. Mouth moans and waters. Deep firey yellow. Golden head. Thick brew. Nose is ricey and hoppy. Bitter and dry, with a tinge of rice. Awww...MAN! This brew sucks from here on out. I dont know if it was the tap or just the beer but this tasted like crap. Bitter edge slices like a rusty cleaver and leaves me bleeding to death...gross. Grains are stale and flat. Carbonation is crazy. Unbalanced and not too good. G

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BeerandBlues2 (10074) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - SEP 12, 2005
Draught at 11th Southern Brewers Festival in Chattanooga. Pours copper with a thin off-white head. Yeast (dough) and fruity hop (pear, peach) aroma. Moderately heavy acidic hop rind and caramel malt flavor combination with a slowly forming sour rind aftertaste. Medium bodied and fizzy slightly creamy palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
brentfeesh (1207) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - SEP 12, 2005
Draft sample at the Southern Brewers Festival (9/05). Had this after a few stouts and I think the crispness of this brew really did a good job of reviving my taste buds. Amber straw color with minimal head, hazy. Sweet malt and spicy/pine aroma. Very enjoyable flavor. Actually competed for my favorite IPA of the day. Pine and citrus orange peal hops with good malt and mineral presence. Nice body. Creamy and full with a dry bitter finish. Very nice IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
desurfer (1224) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - AUG 23, 2005
Draft. Amber body with not much head. Hops abound in the flavor, very punchy and floral but not enough maltiness to back it up. If you love unbridled hoppiness youíll like this.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
walter (359) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - JUL 30, 2005
Draft, Barleyís Taproom, Asheville NC. Slight Floral hops on the nose along with faint maltiness. Medium body, mostly malty with a little hop bitterness, and a somewhat grassy finish. Tasted more like a Wheat or Amber. A good drinkiní beer, but not an impressive IPA.