RATINGS: 142   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.31/5   IBU: 65   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Firewater is a very balanced and drinkable East Coast IPA. Six separate British hop varieties make your taste buds jump up and say “Wow!”, while wheat and five different barleys provide a malty balance. An American version of the historic English style, this beer can stand up to a journey – either halfway around the world or just from can to mouth!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jrob21 (3051) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - SEP 17, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 27, 2007 Light and fruity. On tap at Barelys in Asheville. Not incredibly big hoppy flavors. Very subtle melon tastes. Not incredibly interesting but not overpowering in the bitter hop category.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
TURDFERGUSON (4027) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - AUG 27, 2006
pint at mellow mushroom in asheville, nc. my cousin told me that he does not normally like ipa’s, but he had tried and really liked it. I wanted a local beer so I was glad to try. nose was very flowery hops, as oppose to the piney west coast style that seems to perpetuste the current ipa craze in america. Thinner than most in the body and in terms of hop prenouncement, but equally enjoyable. Good call, cuz!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
GeneralGao (3614) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - JUN 9, 2006
Draught at Barley’s in Asheville, NC. Clear orange with thin white head. Flowery hop nose and flavor, but not as prominent as I had expected for an IPA. Nice hop bitterness up front that fades toward the end.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
awebster (165) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 31, 2005
A fairly decent IPA, very hoppy, and citrussy (if that’s a word). Not very full-bodied.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
NachlamSie (3065) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 30, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 9, 2010 Draught. Pours a cloudy orange with a firm white head. I revisited this one thinking I might like it better now, I can’t say that I do. The aroma is fairly citrusy and tangy with hints of apple, bark, and grass. The flavor is dry with little emphasis on pine or grapefruit. It’s more of a wooden flavored acidity with a decent amount of floral tones. The malts remind me of pears. The particular flavor here just didn’t do it for me.
[December 9, 2010]
every so often I get a wild hair and try this again, each time thinking that I’ll come around. But it never happens. This time it showed up at McClarens so it was obligatory that I revisit it. I want to like it, but I just can’t. I get the same impression: there are plenty of hops and they are balanced well with the malt. The aroma is pretty decent and clean. It’s the particular flavor profile that leaves me wanting. There is certainly plenty of bitterness for the style, but little citrus or spice definition to entertain the palate. The finish is earthy and lingers on a papery note. A couple sips reveals a soapiness. This is a well made IPA, it’s just the actual choice of ingredients does not suit my personal preference.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Ayumbomb (63) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - OCT 28, 2005
Up to date, this is one of the only, if not the only IPA I actually enjoy. I’m not a big fan of IPAs, but when a friend offered to split a pitcher of this stuff, because he likes it so much and wanted me to taste it, I agreed. It’s very unique blend that somehow confused my senses into not thinking it was an IPA. Worth trying out.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
legion242 (2343) - Richardson, Texas, USA - OCT 21, 2005
medium to heavy copper. Minimal head. Nice mild hops. Touches the over the top, but doesn’t get there. Still not bad though.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
BeerHawk (1810) - Huntsville, Alabama, USA - OCT 17, 2005
Draft at the 2005 Knoxville Brewer’s Jam. Poured an amber color with a small off-white head that fully diminished. Both the aroma and flavor were classic IPA but weaker than I hoped. Light to medium body with a dry bitter ending.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - OCT 15, 2005
(Knoxville Brewers’ Jam). Pours cloudy honey orange with a very thin head. Aroma is zest, grapefruit, and pine. The flavor has a bit of toast, but largely silvan hops that get very bitter after the finish. Could use better balance.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
grat (433) - ST. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 27, 2005
Serious let down...serious. Lovely beer. Mouth moans and waters. Deep firey yellow. Golden head. Thick brew. Nose is ricey and hoppy. Bitter and dry, with a tinge of rice. Awww...MAN! This brew sucks from here on out. I dont know if it was the tap or just the beer but this tasted like crap. Bitter edge slices like a rusty cleaver and leaves me bleeding to death...gross. Grains are stale and flat. Carbonation is crazy. Unbalanced and not too good. G