overall

RATINGS: 815   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.34   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Bottle: Filtered.
Brewed from 1990 to 2008 by Black Mountain Brewing Co. Production transferred to Cervecería Mexicana in 2008 when the Black Mountain Brewing Co. ceased as a brewery.
"Golden, very low carbonation, pale lager with a whole chili pepper in the bottle."
Website: http://www.chilibeer.com/

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
Murph06 (121) - Illinois, USA - NOV 1, 2002
Seemed very watery, could be the chilli reacts with brewed beer? Weak head, if poured fast will develope 1/4". Unique is a good description, but only drinkable if you live in the arctic and need warmth---or you are used to drinking battery acid. I give it points for being different, but half a bottle was enough for me.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
BillKismet (3321) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 25, 2002
Ay caramba!!!! This beer is highly carbonated--so much so that it resembles a cider--with a continual upward feed of bubbles. Tan bodied and with a green chili pepper in the bottle--a nice touch--and really defines this beer--it tastes like I would expect a beer with chile in it to taste. A slightly detectable fringe of chili aroma is present and the taste is dominated by hot chili--quite unbalanced. After six ounces--my throat begins to burn and I decide on dumpin the rest of the bottle. A nice novelty--but never a beer one by a six back for and drink in a sitting.

0.8
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
ravidesai (947) - Bombay, INDIA - OCT 13, 2002
fizzy yellow beer. has a rotting fruit smell. seems like a bland lager but the finish and aftertaste hasa pepper taste mixed with an odd sour note. an interesting gimmick beer. worth trying for the novelty value

0.8
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2514) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - OCT 7, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 21, 2004 I had this along long time ago and never rated it because I actually remembered thinking it wasn't horrible and given that variance with other reviews, I didn't want to rate it from memory. As it turns out, a recent tasting confirms my original impression: its not that horrible! Uh oh...(but thats not to say I thought it was *good*). Pale gold, small fading bubbly head. Sickly looking chili pepper in the bottle. Aroma of weak malt and sour chili pepper. Hot and spicy primarily. Sour finish. A bit flat. Funky finish makes me shudder, with an intense peppery feel on throat. Too much of this could cause indigestion. Addendum Uh oh, if this beer couldn't get worse, a second sampling of this presented a skunked aroma in addition to the pepper! Not surprising in the clear bottle, but OMG that was awful!

Why am I giving this beer so much attention? Anyway I tackled it again over the weekend and I think I'm done with it. I've decided its not the chili heat that's wrong with this beer, in fact I *almost* like that part of it. Its the lager underneath that its the bad part. Without the chili this would be an astoundingly insipid lager. Flat, sweetish and nasty. I think the chili makes it better.

OldJack99 (114) - USA - SEP 30, 2002

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
SpaceMonkey (182) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 28, 2002
This smells of rotting vegetables, which is not surprising considering the chili sitting in the bottle, rotting away. It has an ordinary clear gold lager color, with absolutely no head. This is pretty bad, the chili pepper burn totally overpowers anything else in the beer. I love chilies, I love hot and spicy food, yet I hate this beer.

0.6
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Slovak34 (99) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - SEP 24, 2002
It’s nice to keep on your mantle, but don’t try to drink this beer because it’s not very good.

morebier4me (140) - New York, USA - SEP 23, 2002

Aubrey (3430) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - SEP 22, 2002
The actual beer is not unlike a Corona. It’s all about the chili though. The first sip is crisp and cool, but it quickly turns to a fiery hotness that melts away the crispness and the coolness. Instinct tells you to drink, to put out the flames, but it only gets worse. Initially, the second sip cools the burn, but it flares up again immediately, hotter than ever. My taste buds were burned into oblivion, so I couldn’t taste anything other than hot. Not my cup of tea at all. I poured the rest down the drain. I’ll admit, my sensitive buds couldn’t handle the pressure. I suppose it would be good for cooking?

1.3