overall

RATINGS: 819   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.34   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Bottle: Filtered.
Brewed from 1990 to 2008 by Black Mountain Brewing Co. Production transferred to Cervecería Mexicana in 2008 when the Black Mountain Brewing Co. ceased as a brewery.
"Golden, very low carbonation, pale lager with a whole chili pepper in the bottle."
Website: http://www.chilibeer.com/

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 22, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 22, 2003 I chose this wonderful brew for my 500th rating on this site because it combines my two passions in life..'beer'..and 'chili peppers'...It poured yellow and fizzy with a serrano chili sitting on top and without any froth accompaniment, the aroma was all chili pepper but subtle..it goes in way too sweet in the background with the spiciness only showing up in the back of the throat as it scratches its way down your esophagus..you can tell the base beer is pretty crappy..the chili pepper taste is too sweet..but to tell you the truth..I'd rather sip on one of these than drink a bud or a coors light..although..I do feel a stomach ache forming..all in all..I have 5 more of these and I will be giving them as christmas presents to people I don't like

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
jedimasternick (96) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - NOV 4, 2002
This is definitely a drink one at a time beer. It is actually very good for those who want a strong jalepeno taste and can stand a very hot beverage. Only for those who can handle hot-really.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - NOV 3, 2002
i did this stuff on a dare at a poker party.well if this dont make barf at the smell it will with the taste good luck you’ve been warned

1.4
   AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - NOV 2, 2002
Well, I guess someone made a bad batch of super fizzy, malty sweet crummy beer, and decided to try to save it by pouring the juice from jars of hot peppers into the mix. When I was a kid, i would sneak to the fridge, open up the jar of pickles and drink the juice - this is very similar. When this first became available in Ohio about 10 years ago, my friend Chris and I drank too much of this (alternating it with massive amounts of Red Dog) and we decided to try to eat the pepper - DON’T TRY IT! - all the flavor was gone, and it was just a baaaad scene.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
Murph06 (121) - Illinois, USA - NOV 1, 2002
Seemed very watery, could be the chilli reacts with brewed beer? Weak head, if poured fast will develope 1/4". Unique is a good description, but only drinkable if you live in the arctic and need warmth---or you are used to drinking battery acid. I give it points for being different, but half a bottle was enough for me.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
BillKismet (3335) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 25, 2002
Ay caramba!!!! This beer is highly carbonated--so much so that it resembles a cider--with a continual upward feed of bubbles. Tan bodied and with a green chili pepper in the bottle--a nice touch--and really defines this beer--it tastes like I would expect a beer with chile in it to taste. A slightly detectable fringe of chili aroma is present and the taste is dominated by hot chili--quite unbalanced. After six ounces--my throat begins to burn and I decide on dumpin the rest of the bottle. A nice novelty--but never a beer one by a six back for and drink in a sitting.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
ravidesai (947) - Bombay, INDIA - OCT 13, 2002
fizzy yellow beer. has a rotting fruit smell. seems like a bland lager but the finish and aftertaste hasa pepper taste mixed with an odd sour note. an interesting gimmick beer. worth trying for the novelty value

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2523) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - OCT 7, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 21, 2004 I had this along long time ago and never rated it because I actually remembered thinking it wasn't horrible and given that variance with other reviews, I didn't want to rate it from memory. As it turns out, a recent tasting confirms my original impression: its not that horrible! Uh oh...(but thats not to say I thought it was *good*). Pale gold, small fading bubbly head. Sickly looking chili pepper in the bottle. Aroma of weak malt and sour chili pepper. Hot and spicy primarily. Sour finish. A bit flat. Funky finish makes me shudder, with an intense peppery feel on throat. Too much of this could cause indigestion. Addendum Uh oh, if this beer couldn't get worse, a second sampling of this presented a skunked aroma in addition to the pepper! Not surprising in the clear bottle, but OMG that was awful!

Why am I giving this beer so much attention? Anyway I tackled it again over the weekend and I think I'm done with it. I've decided its not the chili heat that's wrong with this beer, in fact I *almost* like that part of it. Its the lager underneath that its the bad part. Without the chili this would be an astoundingly insipid lager. Flat, sweetish and nasty. I think the chili makes it better.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
OldJack99 (114) - USA - SEP 30, 2002

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
SpaceMonkey (182) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 28, 2002
This smells of rotting vegetables, which is not surprising considering the chili sitting in the bottle, rotting away. It has an ordinary clear gold lager color, with absolutely no head. This is pretty bad, the chili pepper burn totally overpowers anything else in the beer. I love chilies, I love hot and spicy food, yet I hate this beer.