overall

RATINGS: 863   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.37/5   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Bottle: Filtered.
Brewed from 1990 to 2008 by Black Mountain Brewing Co. Production transferred to Cervecería Mexicana in 2008 when the Black Mountain Brewing Co. ceased as a brewery.
"Golden, very low carbonation, pale lager with a whole chili pepper in the bottle."
Website: http://www.chilibeer.com/

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
EKGoldings (627) - Radford, Virginia, USA - AUG 14, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 10, 2007 Well, I had one before and did not take notes so I had to drink another for this review. Well, I attempted to drink it...rather I took a mouthful, swirled it around my mouth, choked a bit down and then ran to the fridge to wash off the nasty taste with a can of my wife’s Bud Light. That didn’t work do I brushed my teeth and tongue with Crest. That helped. Yeah, well, OK lets review this baby. No aroma to speak of, taste is light lager but after a few seconds the caspacin kicks in and you are left wanting a beer for refreshment. Thats when you realize the horrible truth that Cave Creek IS (supposed to be) a beer. I eat a lot of Mexican food and I eat whole Jalapeños, the beer is supposed to help cut the heat not add to it. I love hot sauces, I have a dozen in the fridge, one with up to a million SHUs but this beer just doesn’t do anything for me. After you take a drink your mouth is burning and you hand instinctively, after years of training, heads directly to the beer bottle, only to wash your mouth with more pepper. Thats when you think "what the *** is this?". The good news is that this beer is great slug repellent.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
celogan (204) - Oroville, California, USA - AUG 10, 2003
This is a strange brew. Might go good with bean dip and chips as the spicyness is dominant. It goes down your throat like a salsa, has a slight burn to it. Not a lot of beer flavor. Carbonation wasn't bad. This poured light golden color with no head or lacing. I'd maybe drink it again if offered with no other choices and I really wanted something at least close to beer.

1.1
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 6, 2003
Golden hue. Quickly diminishing white head. Nose of nasty industrial brew, and chili pepper. No flavor really, sweet, then just spicy budweiser. Really spicy...Really nasty. It is back in Massachusetts, but its really expensive...Never again for me!

0.8
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
hayden1215 (319) - Ohio, USA - AUG 5, 2003
I like chiles but this was not realy to my liking. Light yellow in color with little head. Aroma is light astringent/disinfectant and pepper. Really no flavor except for some heat. I kind of liked the idea, but this one turned out a loser.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - JUL 25, 2003
What more negative can be said about this abomination. I like beer, I like chili peppers, I even like to drink beer while I eat spicy food, but spicy beer does not work.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
andy609 (143) - Auburndale, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 24, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 24, 2003 This is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. As soon as you open the bottle, the chili pepper starts fizzing releasing the aroma of chili pepper. After pouring into a glass which concentrates the aroma it smells even better. The appearance is pale yellow with no head. The taste is alright if you like Mexican food, which I do. Needless to say, I could not finish this beer; it's just too hot. I would have needed to drink another one concurrently, and I did not want to ruin that one. Basically Corona with a chili pepper added.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
Wakie (612) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - JUL 24, 2003
Ok, a lot of people absolutely hate this beer. And while, after tasting it, I can understand that what would you expect from a beer w/ a chili pepper in it? Basically it was the taste of holding Budweiser in your mouth w/ some spicey salsa. Not worth drinking but not worth bashing. Nice marketing.

1.1
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
blank (996) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUL 24, 2003
light fizzy, weird dark yellowish color with no head. luckily there was no aroma to speak of. the taste was pretty much what i had expected, cheap beer flavor with a spicy overtone, and spicy as in bad spicy.

0.8
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
RichardGretton (4589) - Leicestershire, ENGLAND - JUL 7, 2003
Pale beer and it fizzs away like lemonade and produces virtually no head. Ginger beer aroma, and flavour but with a chilli kick. This is the only beer I have feared to drink, and it is justified. This beer is genuinely one of the worst if not the worst beer in the world. Why make a beer that burns the mouth and ruins the flavour of the next drink you have. Never again will I drink this beer.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
jezmez68 (404) - Chesterton, Indiana, USA - JUL 1, 2003
I was wondering if they still made this stuff. It's like they took what was left of all the Corona after the Arizona-Arizona State football game, mixed in a bunch of jalepeno peppers, bottled it, and sold it to places as a novelty. I don't know anyone who drinks more than one of these, and not many people even finish it after a couple of sips. I dig the spicey aftertaste, that's interesting, but otherwise, this is just a horrible excuse for beer. The funniest thing I've seen is six packs of this. Like someone's going to go get a sixpack of Cave Creek and take it to a party. If you ever have to attend a "bad beer" party, don't get a six of Keystone or Black Label, get a sixer of this. I GUARANTEE you there will be more than two left after everyone goes home.