overall

RATINGS: 830   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.35   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Bottle: Filtered.
Brewed from 1990 to 2008 by Black Mountain Brewing Co. Production transferred to Cervecería Mexicana in 2008 when the Black Mountain Brewing Co. ceased as a brewery.
"Golden, very low carbonation, pale lager with a whole chili pepper in the bottle."
Website: http://www.chilibeer.com/

0.6
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
Andrew196 (1091) - Katy, Texas, USA - MAR 7, 2003
WOW! This beer has a past with me. Ever since joining the site, my brother and I always saw the poor ratings this beer received, and the novelty of a chili pepper in the bottle turned us on to it. Not being available in Texas we always tried to find it when going out west but had no luck. Prior to going on my west coast road trip last month, I told legion and gusler that CCCB was among one of the few beers I wanted to snag. They pleaded with me, saying that it is that bad.....not even worth the novelty...."hogwash" I thought to myself. I found some singles of CCCB at AJ's in Phoenix. I was so excited that I got two of them, for some reason forgetting that one should be ample. So, two bottles of CCCB made it to my bro's fridge. One had a floating pepper, the other had a sinker (reminiscent of a pair of unflushed toilets). We cracked open the "floater" on 6-Mar-2003....when deciding my favorite thing about the beer I was torn between the image of the floater trying to force its way out the top of the bottle, but getting stuck....it resembled a dog's penis emerging from its sheath.....of course it would be a green penis, and I also am partial to the fizzing sound the chili pepper gave off when I "bit" into it over the sink. The actual beer itself is like fermented ballpark jalapeno juice.....seriously, I should have listened to Gus and Legion......it IS that bad. That is all I have to say about the beer itself. We called a number listed on the website at 730 CST....I asked for Ed (the brewmaster). The lady said he wasnt there, but I could reach him in the morning. I asked if she could give a message to Ed, she said I could so I said, "Tell Ed that his beer is really bad". She says, "Im sorry you feel that way"....we both hung up on eachother. What an experience this beer was....I will give it a 2 overall because of the memories it yielded my brother and I. The next question is: What to do with the "sinker"? Any suggestions? Oh, and I strongly disagree with Grant 410's desription that it is like "purified ass extract".....there is nothing about this beer that made the word "purified" come to mind. "ass extract" does ring a bell though.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - MAR 6, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 26, 2003 Worst. Beer. Ever. Wow, this is my second 1-1-1-1-1 ever, and it is far worse than my previous, PBR. I think that says something. I would make an elaborate rating of this stuff, but my bro is going to blow away whatever I write when he rates it tomorrow. I even took pictures as we shared this religious experience together. It completely lived up to expectations, I'll say that much.

0.6
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - FEB 25, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 5, 2003 Umm well at least I can say I've tried the infamous Chili Beer. One sip = my stomach called me a bitch. Two sips = tummy said it was just joking and to please stop. But I'm kinda into pain so I mixed it with V8. And then I threw up. HAPPY NOW STOMACH?

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
krisbierjaeger (844) - dolores, Colorado, USA - FEB 15, 2003
ha ha. look at the funny clown beer in it's silly costume. "crazy ed's original", heh heh, hot sauce label, sooo kooky. gee golly, what a card. it's "from" arizona but comes by way of minnesota, that's precious. oh, and look, something floating inside there! ha ha ha, i think it's an iguana spleen! cootchie cootchie little spleen! looks like a hairball from a mummified goat! giggle, giggle! --hey! what are you doing?! oh, jesus no, let's don't open it, it's just to look at... my god are you nuts?! it's a fake, it's a novelty like, like, toasted slug bladders, it's... it's.... oh great, now look, perfect. you're gonna spill it and make everything stinky. oh sure, like were gonna drink that shit?! get away, this isn't funny anymore, it's probably caustic, you spill that nasty crap on my woodwork you'll lick it off! what? i'm a what?!? fine. whatever. okay, okay, i call yer bluff. here, use this nice glass, no, here, use this good one, use the chimay glass. oooo, nice head there, chief, i think i saw a bubble once. hmm, yep, smells like peppers, like huevos rancheros, that's not too gross, i'm hardly retching at all. taste? suuuuure, why don't we dry out that giant green booger and smoke it, while we're at it, it's probably hallucinogenic... yikes! hot pepper in shitty beer. what a surprise! what is this, billy beer left over from the seventies? -- with a scorch in the finish, whoa, tastes like galley-slave sweat and lighter fluid, jeez. okay, okay, you had your fun, your little joke, ha ha, chili beer, made by a couple drunken jimmy buffett fans, what a riot. help me clean this shit up now.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
microdyke (360) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 7, 2003
There was a chili in the bottle. The presentation was calling my name, but it ended there. With its skunky, stale pepper aroma and its flavor which was much of the same, this beer leaves much to be desired.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - JAN 27, 2003
Oh dear god i think im going to vomit (my notes after my first sip). Aroma is fairly bland...smells like stale garbage, some peppers (wait...did i just say stale garbage?), and some more nothingness to be honest. It was a light yellow, golden colored thing..a headless creature with no carbonation present. But wait...oh come on now what is that...a chili pepper in the F'IN bottle.. i am gonna vomit. The taste is absolutely revolting. It begins watery, and cooking oil like, and then proceeds to try to asphyxiate all of my major organs with this jalapeno pepperiness scrapping at the back of my esophagus. It was like eating a bag of nacho chips with hot cheese..but where were the nacho's. Did i mention it tastes like metal as well??? Yeah, that was my favorite aspect i think. I will have to do pennance to pardon my act of stupidity from my liver which is pretty pissed at me for this one. Then again, i think the one we have to be sorry for is DaSilky1 who bought a whole 6 pack of this crap and then proceeded to spill half a bottle onto his floor. Your place smells like Cave Creek Chili beer now bud. Hell...least that'll spice your life up a bit. Anyways, this is my first bonafide drain pour. Not even inmates deserve this punishment.

1.4
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
redlem (1306) - Ohio, USA - JAN 25, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 30, 2011 In visiting all the local liquor stores for a bad beer party I asked what was the worst beer they had? Every one of them recommended this beer. I did not mind the hot pepper taste

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
Crit (3420) - Surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 20, 2002
More of a coffee table conversation piece than a beverage

1.1
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
igneous1 (1506) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - DEC 19, 2002
very golden, initially a very slight head fading into nothing, not even a tiny bit of lacing or a few bubbles. not much in the aroma suggests chili to me, more of a typical crap lager nose than anything. flavor however is pretty spicy and peppery. dont think i’m going to be able to finish this whole thing.

1.3
   AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
mpbro (132) - Stanford, California, USA - DEC 3, 2002
Beer is better with marijuana inside than jalapeno peppers. The details are fuzzy, other than the fact that it was truly an unnerving and wholly unpleasant beer driking experience.