overall

RATINGS: 864   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.37/5   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Bottle: Filtered.
Brewed from 1990 to 2008 by Black Mountain Brewing Co. Production transferred to Cervecería Mexicana in 2008 when the Black Mountain Brewing Co. ceased as a brewery.
"Golden, very low carbonation, pale lager with a whole chili pepper in the bottle."
Website: http://www.chilibeer.com/

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
jezmez68 (404) - Chesterton, Indiana, USA - JUL 1, 2003
I was wondering if they still made this stuff. It's like they took what was left of all the Corona after the Arizona-Arizona State football game, mixed in a bunch of jalepeno peppers, bottled it, and sold it to places as a novelty. I don't know anyone who drinks more than one of these, and not many people even finish it after a couple of sips. I dig the spicey aftertaste, that's interesting, but otherwise, this is just a horrible excuse for beer. The funniest thing I've seen is six packs of this. Like someone's going to go get a sixpack of Cave Creek and take it to a party. If you ever have to attend a "bad beer" party, don't get a six of Keystone or Black Label, get a sixer of this. I GUARANTEE you there will be more than two left after everyone goes home.

0.7
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
3fourths (9137) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUN 27, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 28, 2004 Clear yellow, no head. Weak aroma of typical lager. I was wondering how bad it could be with an aroma so weak. Oh man. Start drinking and when the back of your throat starts tingling you realize that this is not a beer. This is someone as stupid as me who chooses to drink the juice left over in the jalapeno jar. How about a garbage can-water taste? Rancid? The heat isn’t there; it’s the awful feeling all throughout your mouth that makes this so bad. On a more serious level, of the handful of chili beers I’ve had, this one goes way to far. Simply disgusting. I want my $0.99 back.

1.1
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
PorterPounder (7330) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JUN 21, 2003
I've read all the reviews and seen its ranking as probably the worst beer on here - but I went in with a clear head and palate and gave it a chance. Weak head, light yellow appearance - artificial stale vegetable aroma. Pepper flavor overwhelms everything - leaves your mouth, throat and finaly your stomach burning. Glad I only bought a single. It deserves every bad ranking - but still better than most Gluek products! I could at least finish this one!

1.2
   AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
jazz88 (2665) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUN 20, 2003
Bottle. Golden color with no head. A chili spice aroma and flavor that quickly wamrs and then burns the mouth like only a chili could. The initial flavor is like beer but within miliseconds the chili kills everything.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - JUN 18, 2003
All malt with light spice in the aroma and mild skunkiness. Light dry biscuity flavor with the spiciness of the chilli just firing in at the end. Not really too spicy, more than drinkable. Interesting idea for masking the flavors of a cheap beer.

1.3
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
haddon90 (1617) - Newport Beach, California, USA - JUN 16, 2003
very intersting. A spicy beer if that's your thing. The jalapeno in the bottle gives it away. I've been to Crazy Ed's Horny Toad, so it's what I expected. The best way to drink it is by chugging it. I'm living proof of that!

1.3
   AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
Nuffield (4065) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JUN 16, 2003
Harsh--interesting but harsh, like drinking jalapeno juice. Spicy! Run to the water faucet and open your mouth. Not a bad flavor--I had this next to two other chili beers (Rio Grande Pancho Verde and Serrano Pepper Ale) and this was the most authentic in aroma and flavor. It is definitely not the worst beer in the world, but it is extremely difficult to drink. If you really love spicy things you might be able to stomach this.

0.9
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JUN 14, 2003
Too hot! The legend of this beer is what made me try it. Horrible. I did not finish this bottle. How come they keep on making it?

0.9
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
ElGaucho (2391) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - JUN 11, 2003
Smells like stale beer & chilis. No head; totally flat (probably from the oils in the chili, which is stuck in the bottle!) Very hot flavor; hard to drink; burns on the way down. I like hot food, but this is not pleasant. Great for practical jokes or for dares, hazing, etc.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 9, 2003
Corn, pepper and plastic aroma? Pale yellow, almost no head, and a gigantic green floaty! Tastes like the usual light and fluffy beer, until the chili pepper kicks in. (I think it would be good mixed in with a batch of rice.) Hot, but not overwhelming. High marks for the chutzpah to place a whole chili pepper in each bottle. Josh, I finished mine, Ringo, I tried the pepper too, and it was kind of quiet.