overall

RATINGS: 810   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.34   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Bottle: Filtered.
Brewed from 1990 to 2008 by Black Mountain Brewing Co. Production transferred to Cervecería Mexicana in 2008 when the Black Mountain Brewing Co. ceased as a brewery.
"Golden, very low carbonation, pale lager with a whole chili pepper in the bottle."
Website: http://www.chilibeer.com/

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - AUG 14, 2002
I had to buy a six pack just to see how bad this beer is, it is pretty bad I can’t believe how nasty it is, pepper-water, I took one drink and dumped the rest of the bottle. I gave the other five to a weed dealer in a trailer park outside of the city. Him and his buddies loved it and asked if they could get more, go figure.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - AUG 14, 2002
There are still a few bottles of this at the Union Lake liquor store, if any of you Michiganders are in search of a novelty. They have a great selection there, but didn’t really need to augment it with this. I, too, am a fan of fiery food, but am nonplussed by the octane of this brew. Peppers in gasoline. Wow. They weren’t fooling around.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JUL 31, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 22, 2004 New rating: This beer is much more mellow than it was a few years ago. Now it is actually drinkable. Fizzy yellow with a sickly green pepper in the bottle hot pepper aroma, hot taste with some body. Still a bad beer, but not so hot you want to rip your tongue. Old rating: Yikes! I love hot food, and have had a great hot jalapeno beer before at a brewpub. This stuff is undrinkable. Flaming hot with no taste. Get one to give to your enemies. I couldn't take more than a couple of sips.

1.2
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
albert007 (415) - Penobsquis, New Brunswick, CANADA - JUL 29, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 13, 2005 Whew....what a beer! I tried this at a restaurant called the Satisfied Frog in Arizona. If that frog drank this beer, he would not be satisfied at all. A good non-chli beer afterwards did the trick tho. I gave high appearance points because the chili pepper looked damn cool in there. The deep fried pickles at the restaurant were good......

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
KingPinHead (390) - Des Moines, Washington, USA - JUL 9, 2002
Looks nice, but the pepper overpowers all---just not very drinkable. My only advice is: Just eat a chili (and a better-tasting one) WITH the beer and dispense with the pretense.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
Pablo McStouthead (69) - L.A, California, USA - JUN 28, 2002
Not good quality, but I thought it was funny. Try it once.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
21iceman40 (1731) - vienna, West Virginia, USA - JUN 22, 2002
Hot Damn, this is like liquid fire. Have ya ever been at pizza hut and seen those peppers and put some in your mouth. Same effect as this beer. This is basically like combining the taste of st ides high gravity with the after taste of tequilla. An interesting combination, but as i progressed with my beer i started to find it kinda cool. I kinda like it, but only about one or two every now and then. Here is the secret to making this an enjoyable.. cut some slices off a brick of cheddar cheese and enjoy. They go excellent together.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 19, 2002
This beer is truly undrinkable. I could not stand it. It burns! My least-favorite of all-time. The Champ!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
fjager99 (9) - USA - JUN 19, 2002 does not count
Well, what can I say. It is different.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 18, 2002
Do not drink this beer! Especially if it is like any of mine. The two remaining bottles are at least four years old. The only thing that I have found to do with this beer is to add one bottle to my annual 4 gallon batch of chili! Adds a slight kick in the finish. Yes, I try a sip of the beer every year, and each year it gets a bit sharper and is just as watery. Oh what the heck give a six pack to the neighbors as a going a away present.