overall

RATINGS: 819   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.34   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Bottle: Filtered.
Brewed from 1990 to 2008 by Black Mountain Brewing Co. Production transferred to CervecerŪa Mexicana in 2008 when the Black Mountain Brewing Co. ceased as a brewery.
"Golden, very low carbonation, pale lager with a whole chili pepper in the bottle."
Website: http://www.chilibeer.com/

0.6
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Slovak34 (99) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - SEP 24, 2002
Itís nice to keep on your mantle, but donít try to drink this beer because itís not very good.

morebier4me (140) - New York, USA - SEP 23, 2002

Aubrey (3431) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - SEP 22, 2002
The actual beer is not unlike a Corona. Itís all about the chili though. The first sip is crisp and cool, but it quickly turns to a fiery hotness that melts away the crispness and the coolness. Instinct tells you to drink, to put out the flames, but it only gets worse. Initially, the second sip cools the burn, but it flares up again immediately, hotter than ever. My taste buds were burned into oblivion, so I couldnít taste anything other than hot. Not my cup of tea at all. I poured the rest down the drain. Iíll admit, my sensitive buds couldnít handle the pressure. I suppose it would be good for cooking?

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
morty99 (371) - Maryland, USA - SEP 22, 2002

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
Aurelius (4127) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - SEP 10, 2002
Smells like pickles. Clear bottle with screw-off top, pale thin beer, lousy label, single jalepeno pepper floating around like poo in the bowl. So much for the appearance. Burns a little going down, and tastes like pickled okra to me. No thanks, ladies, Iíll take my beer neat -- and add pepper to my tamales.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
benzim (36) - USA - SEP 9, 2002
Not as horrible as some have made it sound. Basically a standard American with a little hot chile juice thrown in. Wouldnít want more than one of these...the serrano chile at the bottom is horribly bitter, donít try to eat it. Not nearly as hot as people have been complaining; perhaps their taste buds are jusy a bit too genteel. Chile could make an interesting additive to a chocolate stout...American standard is the last type of beer that should have spices added.

0.7
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
TheBeerGod (5230) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - SEP 2, 2002
My grandparents got this for me to taste since I drink ístrangeí beers. I couldnít even finish this though. Sold strictly as a novelty, I am not sure it is meant to be consumed. It smells and tastes of hot peppers and would be the equivalent of drinking carbonated Tabasco sauce. Too spicy to drink, in other words. It didnít help that the bottle I was drinking wasnít ice cold, but I donít think it would matter too much.

MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - AUG 20, 2002
Like sucking on the inflamed ass of a diseased skunk. HORRID smell, some kind of nasty mix between chilis and vinegar. Taste is, of course, worse than the smell. Was tart, sour, and harsh. I think I may have tasted garlic salt, but itís quite possible my taste buds had simply surrendered at that point and thrown any flavor possible towards my brain in a vain effort to get the beer away from the mouth. Definite burn from the chili but it doesnít taste like a real chili to me, seems nastily processed in some way. Just a bad beer masked by an even worse taste. Somebody, somewhere needs to have their fanny kicked for this one. The truly frightening thing is this was actually considerably better than I expected, and itís STILL a .5 out of .5.

0.8
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
Panzuriel (1299) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - AUG 20, 2002
Hot Hot hot. Obviously a chili pepper in the bottle. This pepper has basically made an unremarkable beer a novelty. Without the pepper, this beer would really suck. With the pepper, itís too damned hot to notice anything anyways. Poor quality brew, very thin texture, weak flavor.

MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - AUG 14, 2002
I had to buy a six pack just to see how bad this beer is, it is pretty bad I canít believe how nasty it is, pepper-water, I took one drink and dumped the rest of the bottle. I gave the other five to a weed dealer in a trailer park outside of the city. Him and his buddies loved it and asked if they could get more, go figure.