RATINGS: 856   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.36/5   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Bottle: Filtered.
Brewed from 1990 to 2008 by Black Mountain Brewing Co. Production transferred to Cervecería Mexicana in 2008 when the Black Mountain Brewing Co. ceased as a brewery.
"Golden, very low carbonation, pale lager with a whole chili pepper in the bottle."
Website: http://www.chilibeer.com/

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
ElGaucho (2329) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - JUN 11, 2003
Smells like stale beer & chilis. No head; totally flat (probably from the oils in the chili, which is stuck in the bottle!) Very hot flavor; hard to drink; burns on the way down. I like hot food, but this is not pleasant. Great for practical jokes or for dares, hazing, etc.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 9, 2003
Corn, pepper and plastic aroma? Pale yellow, almost no head, and a gigantic green floaty! Tastes like the usual light and fluffy beer, until the chili pepper kicks in. (I think it would be good mixed in with a batch of rice.) Hot, but not overwhelming. High marks for the chutzpah to place a whole chili pepper in each bottle. Josh, I finished mine, Ringo, I tried the pepper too, and it was kind of quiet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
RolickingRoecq (1) - California, USA - MAY 20, 2003 does not count
This beer is great.HOT yeah!!! take a few chugs the rest goes down smooth. Just like rebanaditas.

leaparsons (9101) - Leicester, Leicestershire, ENGLAND - MAY 17, 2003
Excuse me while I laugh. Ha ha! A Chilli, in the bottle! I like hot food, but I won't be wanting a hot beer again. This is nasty enough to be the worst beer I have ever had. Unpleasant, vile and barely drinkable. Give it to your enemies.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
Cobra (1100) - - MAY 12, 2003
Too bad I can't rate it less than a .6. This stuff is NASTY. My girlfriend bought me a bottle of this crap just to try it. It came in a 12 oz. clear bottle. It was so old, the pepper had turned a grayish brown color. I don't know what color it was supposed to be, but it has long since passed it's prime, that much is certain. I didn't even waste my time using a glass on this swill. A faded, washed out yellow color, with that nasty colored pepper in the bottom. As soon as I opened it, I knew it had spoiled. Smelled like rotten, old tennis shoes. Tasted terrible. Just plain hot. No beer flavor or aroma. Smelled like hot sauce also. I won't bother buying this crap, that's for sure. I ended up pouring it out after 2 sips. Nasty stuff, this.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
bac080 (398) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - MAY 2, 2003
I tried this out of sheer curiosity. Is it as bad as everyone says? Yes and no. The first whiff of it was nothing short of disgusting. The floating pepper also did nothing for me. The first sip was a mix between terror and curiosity - "so that's what it's like to get shot" kind of a mindset. The taste of the beer wasn't so good, but I've had worse. And the aftertaste was like fire. After a few more sips, my mouth started to feel like I had been drinking out of bottle of salsa. I felt that maybe this beer would complement some nachos quite well. Did I finish an entire bottle? No.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Qslugs (2) - USA - MAY 1, 2003 does not count
Imagine if you (s)will; Carbonated jalepeno pepper juice. There you have it. This beverage must be meant as a novelty item or gag gift. I can't imagine anyone seriously drinking Chili Beer on a regular basis.

clvand0 (350) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - APR 20, 2003
Hmmm ... chili pepper + beer = disaster. I took a sip and it just burned my lips, tongue and throat. I couldn't drink more than the first sip. My first completely terrible rating ever.

jerohen (2083) - Bussum, NETHERLANDS - MAR 29, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 15, 2004 My god what twisted mind came up with the idea to put a chili pepper in a beer?! I thought the Forisgaarden Chocolat was bad, but this beats all. One sip caused my throat to be on fire for more than half an hour. From now on i praise the German Reinheitsgebot...

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
joet (2434) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - MAR 27, 2003
skunky and chili in the nose. serrano-ish. the gray green chili bubbled ghoulishly for half an hour. flavor is almost all heat. i was hoping for something mucilagenous or milky or otherwise way more nasty from this brew. The brewer dropped his name from the label - darn.