overall

RATINGS: 843   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.35   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Bottle: Filtered.
Brewed from 1990 to 2008 by Black Mountain Brewing Co. Production transferred to CervecerŪa Mexicana in 2008 when the Black Mountain Brewing Co. ceased as a brewery.
"Golden, very low carbonation, pale lager with a whole chili pepper in the bottle."
Website: http://www.chilibeer.com/

0.8
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
ravidesai (947) - Bombay, INDIA - OCT 13, 2002
fizzy yellow beer. has a rotting fruit smell. seems like a bland lager but the finish and aftertaste hasa pepper taste mixed with an odd sour note. an interesting gimmick beer. worth trying for the novelty value

0.8
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2624) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - OCT 7, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 21, 2004 I had this along long time ago and never rated it because I actually remembered thinking it wasn't horrible and given that variance with other reviews, I didn't want to rate it from memory. As it turns out, a recent tasting confirms my original impression: its not that horrible! Uh oh...(but thats not to say I thought it was *good*). Pale gold, small fading bubbly head. Sickly looking chili pepper in the bottle. Aroma of weak malt and sour chili pepper. Hot and spicy primarily. Sour finish. A bit flat. Funky finish makes me shudder, with an intense peppery feel on throat. Too much of this could cause indigestion. Addendum Uh oh, if this beer couldn't get worse, a second sampling of this presented a skunked aroma in addition to the pepper! Not surprising in the clear bottle, but OMG that was awful!

Why am I giving this beer so much attention? Anyway I tackled it again over the weekend and I think I'm done with it. I've decided its not the chili heat that's wrong with this beer, in fact I *almost* like that part of it. Its the lager underneath that its the bad part. Without the chili this would be an astoundingly insipid lager. Flat, sweetish and nasty. I think the chili makes it better.

OldJack99 (114) - USA - SEP 30, 2002

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
SpaceMonkey (182) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 28, 2002
This smells of rotting vegetables, which is not surprising considering the chili sitting in the bottle, rotting away. It has an ordinary clear gold lager color, with absolutely no head. This is pretty bad, the chili pepper burn totally overpowers anything else in the beer. I love chilies, I love hot and spicy food, yet I hate this beer.

0.6
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Slovak34 (99) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - SEP 24, 2002
Itís nice to keep on your mantle, but donít try to drink this beer because itís not very good.

morebier4me (140) - New York, USA - SEP 23, 2002

Aubrey (3482) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - SEP 22, 2002
The actual beer is not unlike a Corona. Itís all about the chili though. The first sip is crisp and cool, but it quickly turns to a fiery hotness that melts away the crispness and the coolness. Instinct tells you to drink, to put out the flames, but it only gets worse. Initially, the second sip cools the burn, but it flares up again immediately, hotter than ever. My taste buds were burned into oblivion, so I couldnít taste anything other than hot. Not my cup of tea at all. I poured the rest down the drain. Iíll admit, my sensitive buds couldnít handle the pressure. I suppose it would be good for cooking?

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
morty99 (371) - Maryland, USA - SEP 22, 2002

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
Aurelius (4638) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - SEP 10, 2002
Smells like pickles. Clear bottle with screw-off top, pale thin beer, lousy label, single jalepeno pepper floating around like poo in the bowl. So much for the appearance. Burns a little going down, and tastes like pickled okra to me. No thanks, ladies, Iíll take my beer neat -- and add pepper to my tamales.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
benzim (36) - USA - SEP 9, 2002
Not as horrible as some have made it sound. Basically a standard American with a little hot chile juice thrown in. Wouldnít want more than one of these...the serrano chile at the bottom is horribly bitter, donít try to eat it. Not nearly as hot as people have been complaining; perhaps their taste buds are jusy a bit too genteel. Chile could make an interesting additive to a chocolate stout...American standard is the last type of beer that should have spices added.