RATINGS: 694   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
The "Brewer’s Reserve" label is used only for limited edition beers. No time or expense was spared to create these beers! This is a good expression of our passion for brewing -- Cheers!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
thebaldwizard (1205) - Ohio, USA - NOV 4, 2006
Pours dark brown--almost black with a thin tan head. The aroma is definitely bourbon and some hops. Palate wasn’t too bad, but I definitely wanted something fuller. Taste was nice--very unique. Flavors of bitter chocolate, lots of toffee. Smooths out with less bitterness as it warms.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ofortuna (322) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 2, 2006
Very hyped and quite a bit high on the price. Too much so in my opinion. Wonderful aroma of vanilla and bourbon. Also a bit of roasted malt. The lighter body hits me right away however and makes me check that this is indeed a stout. Hmm, a little light. Nice coffee and chocolate aftertaste to go with the vanilla. I know there’s been quality problems with these beers and have been advised not to cellar this one too long. Still not a bad beer at all and I would reccomend a try if you can get it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
pineypower (2834) - Ocean County, New Jersey, USA - NOV 1, 2006
Pours out a deep brown with a small lacing head. Very nice aroma of bourbon and oak. The mouthfeel is a bit more watery than I was expecting. Flavor is complex with roasted malt, burnt fruit, oak and a bourbon, alcohol finish. Good beer, but a few things hold it from passing into the great category. Thanks go out to Ughsmash for this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
KAME (160) - California, USA - OCT 27, 2006
Bottle. Pours a dark brownish black with a medium body. Aroma is full of dark fruit, bourbon, and chocolate. Flavor is nice, alcohol and bourbon are noticeable, but not nearly as overwhelming as some of the other bourbon barrel stouts I’ve had. A very nice beer overall.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 3/20
kenb (1102) - Oregon, USA - OCT 18, 2006
12 oz bottle from Buckyboy(thanks!). Pours a near midnight black with a small beige head. Nose has notes of fruity esters, cherries, pears, chocolate, oak and alcohol. Tastes like it smells, but the oak and alcohol are way overdone. Chalky, bitter, oaky alcohol finish. A bit of an acidic sour aftertaste. Do not care for this one at all....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Goldorak (438) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 16, 2006
Almost totally pitch black, just the slightest brownish hue when exposed to the light. Thin cocoa head with pretty good cling.
Oaky, vanilla and lots of fruity, blackberry notes. Boozy overtones reminiscent of a good Whiskey or even a Marc de Bourgogne. Reminds me of Magic Hat’s Feast of Fools.
Weird, on that initial sip, the body felt weak for about half a second but then it totally glazed my tongue like honey on a ham. Just enough oak for my liking, a tiny bit of an acidic twang and some bitter chocolate, with a hot boozy finish. It might even make me want to rethink my misanthropic views about barrel aging just for the sake of barrel aging...If only for stouts!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
illinismitty (2270) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 10, 2006
Thanks to YourDarkLord for bringing this out of his cellar for me to sample. Aroma of coffee, dark hardwood mulch, and molasses. Pours a deep brown with an off white head. Color seemed light for an Impy. Dry oaky flavor, along with maple syrup, nuts, some bourbon. This lacked the body and a lot of dark roasted malt and coffee notes that you find in an imperial stout. Finish was a bit off, as I think this bottle was at the verge of going downhill. Not a bad beer, but I was honestly expecting much more from this. We had BA Speedway and Peche Mortel at this tasting, and this sample was no where in the league with those. I would love to rerate with a fresh sample.

KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - OCT 8, 2006
Bottle, complements of the Mighty Slob. Thanks! Pours deep and mysterious, like a moonless night deep in the countryside of Transylvania. I see a mysterious silhoutte approaching; do I dare keep forward, or do I retreat from hence I came? I decide to proceed. This shadowy figure gives off vapors of a fine, barrel-aged bourbon. I’m sensing a rich, dark libation awaiting. I swirl this mysterious liquid only to be bombarded by even more bourbon aromas. I take a sip; my mind explodes in a haze of the memories of spirits past distilled. Oh, the tales they must have to tell! A rich, warming feeling settles within the recesses of my abdomen; I feel peculiarly safe amongst all this uncertainty. A rich rush of thick coffee coats my palate and stains my tongue brown. Oh, this is soooooo bad; yet I cannot resist.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
cbkschubert (2900) - BFE, Arizona, USA - OCT 1, 2006
12 oz. bottle via trade with JCapriotti - Pours a brown color with a small light tan head. Light spotty lacing. Has a slight fruit, oak aroma. Flavor is mostly oak. Very little roasted malt or coffee flavoring which you would expect from an IS. Taste more like a toned down BA Barleywine. Still, a good tasting beer. Thanks Jason.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
OldMrCrow (2212) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 30, 2006
Year-old bottle shared with acertain and derkruk.

Pours brown with a limited head. There’s some sugar on the nose, but it’s mostly all bourbon here without the complexity that I see so often referenced in the other ratings. Instead I get a fairly thin mouthfeel and a flavor that is utterly dominated by the bourbon. The beer is rather sour, slightly salty and leaves me wondering whether this one did not hold up well to the aging process. It seems that I had the beer that ClarkVV describes, not the gem that so many other rates have tasted.