overall
Brewed by Thai Beverages
Style: Pale Lager
Phra Nakhon Sri Ayutthaya Province, Thailand

RATINGS: 956   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.03/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Keg and bottle: Filtered.
Export version.
Ingredients: Fine quality malt, rice, and hop, with natural water, and selected yeast.
"With its attractive taste and a price that appealed to consumers at all levels, the response and success of Chang marked a new era and turned a new page for the Thai beer industry. In 1998 Beer Chang was awarded the ďGold MedallionĒ at the International Beer Competition in Australia in the category of ďLager, Unlimited DegreeĒ.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
Madsnp (933) - DENMARK - MAY 17, 2010
Bottle. Pours clear pale yellow colored with a small white head. Aromas of vegetables, malt and grassy hops. Weak and dry flavor with notes of citrus and pale malt.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
unclemattie (4358) - Georgia, USA - MAY 14, 2010
330ml bottle. Aroma of toasted rice and cilantro. Pours golden yellow. Tastes like rice and pale malts, grassy hops. Easy to drink. Not what anyone really looks for in a mind blowing flavorful brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
bluejacket74 (1745) - Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA - MAY 8, 2010
330 ml bottle, best before July 14, 2010. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a clear straw gold color with about an inch white head. Head retention and lacing are both average. Aroma is sweet malt and grain/adjuncts, not much else. Taste is the same as the aroma, itís all malt/grain/adjuncts. However, there arenít any offensive aromas/flavors at all. Mouthfeel/body is light, and also crisp. Drinkability isnít awful, itís not exactly enjoyable to drink but itís not bad to drink either. For the style, itís a decent enough brew. Iíve certainly had worse!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
Butters (4020) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - MAY 6, 2010
Bottle at Spice in atlanta. Just what I had expected. Clear yellow with some white head. No offensive notes, but nothing particularly enjoyable either. Not particularly refreshing. But goes well enough with pad thai. Blah.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Onslow (1358) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - APR 25, 2010
Picked up a six pack of this from Sawall Health Foods Ė nice to be able to get your liver supplements and beer in one stop. Expectations were low but this proved surprising good. Pour from an 11.5 oz bottle was medium gold tone with two fingers of dense head. Good head retention and lively carbonation make up for an otherwise thin palae. Pleasant aroma dominated by light aromatic hops. Flavor is clean and refreshing, but still somewhat complex. Interesting graininess at the start Ė no doubt the rice / malt combination Ė and very satisfying hops blend in the finish. fishi is a great mixutre of aromatic hoppiness that is nicely dry and bitter at the final end, with no linering aftertast. The flavor is actually rather unique and it does not slot well into any kind of style, but it is tasty and good.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
PapaSkeetSkeet (1007) - Providence, Rhode Island, USA - APR 20, 2010
pours a clear golden yellow with heavy carbonation. While there doesnít appear to be much of a head, the carbonation is rather taxing on the palate. Nose is of bitter hops and some other sort of grain (I think I get rice out of this one); yes its rather ricey. Flavor is mild with a combination of bitterness and greens (like beans or something). Its actually rather unpleasant. Too much carbonation.

1.1
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
legion242 (2344) - Richardson, Texas, USA - APR 17, 2010
Thin and full of adjunct nastiness. Not quite sure what I might have expected, but since I can tolerate and even like Singha sometimes, I held out hope. Not to be.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
guzzler67 (1643) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - APR 16, 2010
Donít know why I always expect something a bit more exotic when I pick up a beer from a distant country, even if it is a pale lager. And almost always end up disappointed. Here, the restrained aroma is vegetal; the sweetness from the rice is destracting enough that you forget about the hops (where do they get hops in Thailand anyway?) and the light bodied, passive palate gives way to a short lived finish. Guess I can use the rest of the 6pk for cooking.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
delnoche (500) - Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA - APR 14, 2010
33cl bottle poured into a dimpled mug. Clear gold with a small white head. Aroma is faintly sweet caramel. Flavor is about the same. Thin, watery, little carbonation. Finish is nonexistent. There is nothing incredibly offensive about this beer other than the fact that it calls itself beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
CanIHave4Beers (3897) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - APR 5, 2010
I told you that I was going to buy some Chang. This beer is actually beautiful in the glass, basically everything I would look for in a very good Dortmunder/Pilsner/Pale Lager/etc. The color is light, very light in fact too pale to be a "straw" or "golden" color but itís getting there indeed. There are tons of tiny bubbles from the bottom of the glass akin to a very lively champagne and the head is big, white, tight, and well retained. If this had a bit more color and perhaps some more consistent lacing I would have little trouble giving it a 5 for appearance, this really is a very nice looking beer. Right off the bat the aroma is toast which is something I usually donít pick up in a pale lager but itís nice indeed, there is some nice mild hop presence in there as well, I canít quite tell what sort of hops but they strike me as those of the noble variety. The aroma finishes out with what I expected it to start with, some rice krispies and a mild skunky character. One sip and it is very apparent that this is a different, dare I say original take on this style of beer. I can honestly say that Iíve never had a beer even remotely like Chang, but then I havenít had very many Asian pale lagers. This beer tastes like toasted rice and not in a sickly breakfast cereal kind of way either. There is this Sushi joint in Des Moines that serves this toasted rice tea and this tastes very similar to that. The beer is hardly sweet but itís not bracingly dry either I think that too much dryness might ruin the nice toasty character of this beer. The hop presence of the beer leaves a little bit to be desired and I think it could benefit from a little bit more because what is there is very nice with itís zingy slightly fruity nature it balances very well with the "malty" or more appropriately "ricey" character of the beer. Iím starting to sound like Iím in love with this beer, and I think that would be going a bit far. Maybe Iím surprised at how much I like it that the flaws arenít as apparent? I sort of doubt that though because Iíve had this one twice now and really enjoyed it both times, the first time was straight out of the bottle so I expected that when I poured it in a glass and put it under the microscope that I would find more to dislike about it, but once again it is on all accounts a very enjoyable beer. Itís very simple and straightforward but I can appreciate a beer like this. We all know rice isnít a traditional beer ingredient & that an abundance of rice flavor in a beer is basically always a bad thing, but I think that with Chang rice has found itís niche, I donít know how it works but it does.