overall
Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

RATINGS: 4343   WEIGHTED AVG: 4   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
RazingDreamz (123) - North Carolina, USA - OCT 16, 2005
Excellent beer. Good with food. I guess the best thing I can say about this beer is that it has found the perfect bitter... this thing has crazy good hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
malty (12) - North Carolina, USA - OCT 16, 2005
dark brown mediumpour.slight head..fruit&flowers with a dash of yeast to the smell;tastes more of the same.but a stronger emphisis.on yeast.. after a while.great malt&hop.marriage..drinkability..a-..enjoy..malty.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DCJack (181) - Alabama, USA - OCT 16, 2005
OK, I know Chimay has a reputation, kind of like being the best car made in the 50’s, but it really is out-of-date isn’t it? It can’t compare really to the beers made by Omnibroue, unless you are making a special category for vintage-era beers. Sure, it might have been the best there was 20 years ago, but we have made progress and these old style beers taste, well, out-of-date. It is fine and agreeable, but has none of the complexity of a Trois Pistoles or Three Philosophers. It tastes like a really good sparkling champagne-style beer, bubbly and effervescent, but not very substantial. This is an excellent beer, but shows little signs of progress from what it was in its inception. If you get off on black and white movies, then you may love this brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
bmanning (142) - Holly Springs, North Carolina, USA - OCT 11, 2005
Poured dark brown with a large frothy head that dissipated rather quickly but left good lacing. Good fruity, yeasty, and flowery aroma with hints of plum and slight caramel malts. Flavor is also good and oaky, but the taste of alcohol is very strong in this one. Also, the finish is quite sour, bitter, and leaves the mouth dry. The level of carbonation seems off too. The feel is closer to a red wine than a beer. Overall, I’m not very impressed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HungChad (13) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - OCT 11, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 27, 2006 Bottled 6/2005. While this is far from my first beer tasting, this is my first rating. My wife and I even went so far as to purchase a set of Chimay glasses to start things off right. Yeah, I know! Anyway, I was reasonably impressed, but not blown away by this beer. The aroma is very yeasty/doughy with some sweet odors and a bit of apple and citrus (lime/lemon). The head was fairly small and died off quickly - leaving a somewhat unattractive brown foam. While this was a bit disappointing, the overall appearance was very nice - like deep reddish brown shoe leather. At first I found the carbonation to be overly strong for my taste buds, but found this beer improved greatly after sitting in the glass for about ten minutes. Taste is fairly alcoholic and creamy. Overall, a very nice beer. (Addendum - after this rating, I had the opportunity to drink a ten year old Chimay Blue - Much, Much better - more like a 4.5)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
ChillCoat (1029) - Concord, California, USA - OCT 10, 2005
Bottled. Not shy on carbonation! This beer pours an active, murky brown color with red hues. The head is tan and bubbly. The aroma is yeast and raisins. Dark fruit flavors mix with yeast and caramel flavors that all compete with the alcohol warmth to find a place on your palate. This glass is just too carbonated for me. Other than that this is a pretty nice beer though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
CampbellWilson (533) - SCOTLAND - OCT 10, 2005
750ml bottle from Peckham’s. Dark brown with rocky beige head. Aroma of malt, chocolate, raisin, yeast, spice, alcohol. Firm mouthefeel, alcohol well masked. A good beer, but it just doesn’t have the magic it once did, (for me anyway).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hellomynameis (876) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - OCT 8, 2005
Plum and mild alcohol nose, dark almost black with a large head that dissolved into a nice thin layer on top. Malty and sweet with a taste of plums with a kind of grape like bitterness that I will compare to some of the red wines I have tasted. Certianly enjoyable. Though I’m not sure I would make this a regular item in my fridge.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
AndrewM (126) - Waco (Buckle of the Bible Belt), Texas, USA - OCT 8, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 24, 2005 75 CL bottle. Pours cola brown with a thin tan head. Mild aroma of raisin / plum. Flavor is similar. Palate has a nice creamy bubbly feel. One wants to swish it around the toungue for the taste buds to have a full swim. A nice drink. (Updating my rating) Dropping this down to sub-4. Thinking about it, I’ve enjoyed beers more than this one. Especially considering the price (most expensive beer next to Deus at my local store).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Marko (4163) - Split / Zagreb, CROATIA - OCT 7, 2005
0.33l bottle / Chimay tulip glass at Tolkien’s House, Zagreb.
Finally found it..... Poured a very small ochre thick head, and a completely misty dark brown colour, impressive, but not a 5 in my opinion. The nose was nice, raisins, plums, alcohol. Very complex taste. Nice plummy fruitiness giving way to a fine underlying lemony sourness forming in the middle a taste reminiscent of forest fruits, like forest strawberry. I’d probably say it tasted like port with a sourish background, but I’ve never tasted port so I wouldn’t know (duh), and the best I can explain it as prosecco-but-not-as-sweet-with-a-sour-background. So there you go. Ah, right, aftertaste. Not much hops present, but they aren’t really needed here. Malty aftertaste that feels at times slightly odd, similar to what you get when sucking a peach seed (faint though).