overall
Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

RATINGS: 4666   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
LeoN (26) - Athens, GREECE - OCT 2, 2006
Great Aroma coming alongside with this dark brown colour! Rich body with a bittersweet ending.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Fin (9456) - Merton, Oxfordshire, England, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - OCT 1, 2006
Dark brown beer with big frothy head good fruity and yeasty aroma, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the taste. I drank this shortly after dessert and a handful of maltesers and feel that they may have played a part in my being none too impressed, I will try again but for now it gets a lower than expected mark.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DaMenace123 (253) - Houston, Texas, USA - SEP 30, 2006
Nice caramel color with tan head and great lacing. Great aroma of yeast and fruit, taste the same. The alcohol becomes more pronounced by the end of the glass. Great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cliff (355) - The Land of Milk and Honey, Ohio, USA - SEP 28, 2006
dark brown, aromas of yeast and spice. similiar to the red, but all its own. got much tastier as it warmed, fruits and sweet toasty malts. very very good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
boredatwerk (21) - Chester, New Jersey, USA - SEP 26, 2006
A dark brown beer with a good head. It has an aroma of fruit and yeast. The flavor is sweet and that of fruits. It tickles the tongue with the high alcohol content, and leaves a mild alcohol almost acidic aftertaste. It has almost no bitterness. I will have to revisit this beer as it is a style that I enjoy, but yet feel li ke I under rated.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Grovlam (4206) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - SEP 26, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 28, 2006 On of the great Trappist beer of the world. Full bodied, some burned caramel. Dark strong and wounderful beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dkoonce (911) - People’s Republic of Athens, Ohio, USA - SEP 23, 2006
Seems that my Chimay reviews have dissappeared for the second time! I don’t know what’s going on in the database. Regardless, I like the blue second best of all of the Chimay Ales. Good body and great tangy sour wheat flavor. Hides the alcohol well.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
altonbrownd (5447) - Chevy Chase, Maryland, USA - SEP 23, 2006
Bottle at home. This is a strong (wonderful) beer with a big kick in it. My bottle had no head (but I always pour sideways.) Very dark, with coffee and chocolate ale flavours. A truly fine beer. A real pleasure to drink.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
highkin (1) - USA - SEP 21, 2006 does not count
I find the complexity of this fine beer increases dramatically with time. I age mine for a minimum of 2 years before I imbibe. You will find the flavor will match the extraordinary smell at just below cellar temp. As the Grand Reserve warms, so does the intensity. One of my favorite in all the world.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Bajahobo (30) - USA - SEP 21, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 10, 2006 Bottle. Let me preface by saying I’m not the biggest fan of the style. Pours ruby-dark brownish, with a big tan head that dissipates swiftly. BIG - no HUGE fruity aroma that yields to a slight malt ending. You would think such a powerful and vibrant whiff of fruit would be overbearing, but it lingers only momentarily and is balanced perfectly by the malt ending. A feast for your nostrils! I know that’s a lot of words to waste on a simple smell - but this beer really smells great. On to the taste: Almost no bitterness, with mostly fruit and malty overtones. Very sweet and sugary. Thicker then your average beer, but the body isn’t quite full enough for me. Although because of this perhaps, its definitely easy to drink despite its high alcohol content (9%) A good example of a style I’m not particularly keen on (but what a smell!).